Valour FC Season Thread 2019

Stephen Hart's team has 1 goal in 5 games. That's a shocking offensive performance. Is he on the chopping block soon?

In a year one league, where everyone is learning their opponents, not to mention the players on their own team (less of an issue with the sides with an established foundation like Cavalry-Foothills and Forge-Sigma and to a lesser extent Pacific-Whitecaps and Eddies-Eddies) all of the managers were going to get a long leash. I'll be surprised if any managers exit before year 2, unless it is of their own volition.

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Man Utd 9 Ipswich Town 0

https://youtu.be/KgsydTBeVqo

QPR 6 Chelsea 0

Man Utd 1 Man City 6 (Alex Ferguson was not fired).

That QPR vs Chelsea match was brilliant, the R's played with so much flair, it's great to see the old Loftus Road with terracing, there is some great audio as well, QPR up 5 nil and a fan yells, "Come on now, let's not F*** this up"!😀

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Sorry this is soccer a sport where 1 to 3 goals a game is the norm. This is not U8 soccer you don’t lose 8-0 , heads need to roll the coach needs to go come on!

I doubt the Bombers organization really care if Valour struggle.  I don't think they are trying to win the CPL title, just trying to field a team and sell some tickets.  They have succeeded on the front.

And yes, I agree.  Any organization that had serious intent to win would make immediate changes right now.  We finished last in the first half and while we may be 4th at the moment, we have also played more matches than everyone else.  Probably on course for 5th or 6th this term.

44 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I doubt the Bombers organization really care if Valour struggle.  I don't think they are trying to win the CPL title, just trying to field a team and sell some tickets.  They have succeeded on the front.

And yes, I agree.  Any organization that had serious intent to win would make immediate changes right now.  We finished last in the first half and while we may be 4th at the moment, we have also played more matches than everyone else.  Probably on course for 5th or 6th this term.

The problem with Gale, and other coaches in this league, is that they’re too tied to the team at this moment.  They’re the team’s local agent in a way almost in the way a lot of them recruit former talents.  

9 hours ago, Lofty said:

Mitter has been Valour's best CB this season. But don't take my word for it, ask Rob Gale, who continues to play him.

By all means criticize the signing, but make sure you first criticize the signings of the other CBs who are not as good.

Gale signed Mitter, not the other players on other teams. And all the players on other teams - every one of them - avoided finishing last in the spring. Most of them will finish ahead of the Valour this 1/2 season (I'm thinking 6th but maybe 5th). So the point right now is to criticize a player signed in all likelihood for leadership on a team on or near the bottom of the league, that didn't react well when his young keeper was struggling through a dreadful performance. All this, mind you happens after the captain spits a dummy and gets suspended, and team unity appears to be crumbing. Not the actions of a leader.

But sure, keep defending it with the fact that since Gale still picks him he and all must be great.

44 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I was talking about the other VALOUR CB's, all of whom were signed by Gale.

Nobody is pretending Mitter is league MVP but that is not the question. From what I have seen, CPL is his level. He would be a bad signing only if he were not good enough for CPL, which for me is quite clearly not the case -- and I have watched every Valour match except the thunderstorm delayed one at FCE.

Mitter's poor reactions to errors by team mates does not suddenly make him not good enough for CPL. And why you mention Murrell is beyond me; he has nothing whatsoever to do with Mitter's ability.

I have only seen a few matches, but I agree with you he doesn't look out of place. My larger point was with someone with his poor pedigree the team should have expected a leader - and I am not sure they got one.

So this relates to your last point - he's a veteran, and I believe he should be a team leader. Team unity and leadership has reportedly been questioned (captain acting like a fool calls leadership into question, which is why I mentioned it), so my point was simply that in the face of a very poor team performance (and if in fact leadership/unity is lacking) on a team which has performed below expectations I would have wanted a team leader to have acted differently. That's all. That's a point on his leadership, not playing ability.

Maybe those who mention the void in team leadership and unity are mistaken, or exaggerating - interested in your views since you've seen all the matches?

Edited by BCM

On 9/4/2019 at 9:26 AM, Lofty said:

Beland-Goyette has worn the armband since Thomas and Murrell have been out. And that would have been my choice too.

In my opinion, screaming at your team mates is not leadership. Recent matches have seriously damaged my opinion of Mitter's leadership credentials. At this point I would not consider him for the armband. If Beland-Goyette doesn't play I'd probably give it to Petrasso instead.

Not caring is not being a professional either. I prefer a screamer, which in the end is just a character trait, to someone coasting through being ravaged. Bitching about someone shouting at their teammates is a reflection one of those stupid unwritten norms that is not written for a reason.

Borjan, who folks criticised after that Haiti goal, is almost always like that in the nets for Red Star, he screams and gesticulates. He also has the attention of his back line.

At least Mitter, along with the keeper, seemed to authentically care they were being destroyed and humiliated before their fans. I also missed someone in the midfield putting a foot in with a bit more bite, and getting the card. Then another. Then another. At 4 or 5 goals against we should have seen a series of hard tackles in the midfield shared around, so no one would end up with a red. As is, even the yellows were lame and defeatist.

Edit: the censored my use of the word "b*tch*ng", how ridiculous.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Caring about losing and shouting at teamates can be something to be admired.  A firey spirit, drive to win etc etc sure, but its still not leadership which is what Lofty was saying.  Just because someone isnt waving their arms and screaming doesnt mean they dont care.  I always think that kind of shit is more for the crowd and the cameras, not your teammates.  There are plenty of good leaders on teams that dont use that kind of style and there is room for both.  

But I do agree with UT, that a leader should have pulled them together at 3 or 4 and stiffened the resolve of those flagging and suggested some biting challenges (even yellows) shared amongst them to show Calgary they werent going to get anything easy and Valour were still fighting.  For team pride if nothing else.  And part of leadership is walking the walk...you can yell and point all you want..but if its your play that contributes to the next goal why should anyone listen to you?  

13 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Frankly, the Valour fans have deserved better.

Considering the form, the attendance has been superb. I hope it doesn't discourage what looks like a great launchpad fanbase. Seems like there is a real appetite for it in Winnipeg that can really grow. 

From the outside the pieces all seem to be there with playing staff, stadium and structure. Just dont know how Gale and his team are getting it so wrong. 

There is a point where heads will have to roll if fans start turning around.

10 hours ago, Lofty said:

1. As much as they would like to think otherwise, Cavalry are not Manchester City anymore than a turd is filet mignon.

2. Get back to me when you have been thrashed 8-0 AT HOME.

That was Watford's biggest thrashing in 138 years !

It only took us a few months 

You will be able to tell your great, great, great, great grand children you were there !

Come on, THAT is a pretty funny post from Valour.  Nothing wrong with laughing at yourself sometimes.  However...

Etihad is not Vicarage Road and it only took Valour 4 months and 23 matches to share a scoreline it took Watford roughly 130 years and over 5,000 matches to reach.  Oh, and Watford needed to face an opponent who outspends them 4 to 1 on player wages to do it.   

Yeah, funny for about 1 2/3 of a second there.  Someimes it just better to keep quiet.  

Let it go, Cheeta.  Let it go.