Valour FC Season Thread 2019

On 9/22/2019 at 12:39 AM, Lofty said:

1. As much as they would like to think otherwise, Cavalry are not Manchester City anymore than a turd is filet mignon.

2. Get back to me when you have been thrashed 8-0 AT HOME.

I didn't really find any issue with the self deprecating humour and considering I am the epitome of cool around here, if I am okay with it, the rest of you should be as well.

Cavalry has soul that Man City lacks.

A Special Thank You to our Founding Members
As we wrap up our inaugural season at IG Field, we wanted to thank our incredible Founding Members who made this a year to remember. On October 5th, Founding Members are invited to the Pinnacle Club for our Valour FC Fan Appreciation Event post-match.

The entire team (and Vic of course!) will be signing autographs from 5:30 - 6:30 p.m., and fans can take home a team picture poster. The Pinnacle Club will be open for the end of the match until 7:00 p.m.  Founding Members will receive complimentary fountain pop and snacks, and a cash bar will also be available.

22 hours ago, Lofty said:

Episode 17 of "Inside the CPL" on One Soccer includes:

* Play of the Week: Valour's lovely 3rd "team goal" in the 4-2 win at York.

* Three Valour players in the Team of the Week: LB Raphaël Garcia, LM Marco Bustos, CF Tyler Attardo.

How awesome was it that Garcia was second (and barely missed taking first) in the VW Index this week?  I'm a big fan of that kid, both on and off the pitch.

7 minutes ago, Lofty said:

He has been really improving for Valour and that "team of the week" honour is deserved. Also has a fantastic attitude and at just 19 years old he could go a long way.

Meanwhile, Canada has been struggling to find good full backs... 🤔😁

He's been working so hard.  I keep thinking back to that story about his family travelling to Winnipeg for the home opener and he had to watch the game in the stands with them because he didn't make the 18.  He started the next game and never looked back.  But beyond what he has done on the pitch, he has been so enthusiastic about our support in the stands.  When we went to the airport to sing for them after that York win mid summer, he ran down the stairs clapping and was the first player to meet us on the 'hug rug'.  After the last game, he came up into 144 and went around and thanked every person left in the section.  He is a really good kid, with so much potential.  I can't wait until I can wear a Canada kit with his name on the back!

On 10/2/2019 at 10:15 PM, Lofty said:

I'm not sure how much more #GaleFail I can take.

After an 8-0 thrashing by Cavalry, the rebound performance is...a 4-1 thrashing. No guts. Pathetic.

They played Cavalry tight for the most part until late in the game when they fell apart. Valour's backline scuttled them again. It's something that will get addressed in the offseason I think. If not, THEN Gale should be let go.

I do agree it's a well written article, I think it will be easier for local talent to have a path because Valour exists as a professional side. There's the MMSL, WSA Winnipeg & the Thunder Bay Chill which can definitely be mined by Valour for local talent. Plus I can see in a few years the U of M establishing a men's soccer team and having Valour right down the hall would be a tremendous advantage for the Bison's program.

TL;DR - now that Valour exists it's the goal, and the path to professional soccer will get a lot clearer for local talent.

Valour now has more home points than away points in the Fall season, and it's even on the combined table.  We are also only 1 point out of tied for third overall in the combined table. The combined table is tight in the middle, and it's probably going to finish close.  Valour is done playing Forge & Cavalry and I like our chances of finishing 3rd or 4th overall

image.png.6450ef51cfe3e1c9d884386318908bc4.png

*I manually entered all of this, so if anyone spots a mistake, let me know.  

Edited by MrsC
Tried to fix mistake

15 hours ago, MrsC said:

Valour now has more home points than away points in the Fall season, and it's even on the combined table.  We are also only 1 point out of tied for third overall in the combined table. The combined table is tight in the middle, and it's probably going to finish close.  Valour is done playing Forge & Cavalry and I like our chances of finishing 3rd or 4th overall

image.png.6450ef51cfe3e1c9d884386318908bc4.png

*I manually entered all of this, so if anyone spots a mistake, let me know.  

It looks great. TBH I think Valour turned the corner to being pretty good a few weeks ago. Yes, Cavalry & Forge have the ability to expose our backline like nobody else can but Valour has probably the 2nd best attack in the league behind Cavalry.

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

"Pursue playing opportunities" means something different to me than "released on a free transfer". What does everyone else think?

Doesn't really matter, does it? It was pretty clear neither were in Valour's plans moving forward - the midfield & forwards on Valour are pretty deep. Plus New Zealand's league starts at the beginning of November. I bet over the next couple of days they show up as teammates of Hoyle's down there.

To me it basically sounds like they are being loaned with a few caveats.

The club is not known yet, they are going to trial to hopefully catch on with a club in New Zealalnd. They also are being allowed to sign an offseason contract as well rather than still being under their CPL contract as would happen with a loan

Who really cares, I thought Sacremento would do alot better than he has, but if he has a shot somewhere else, fill your boots.  I would guess this is the start of big turnover for  a lot of the teams.  The CDN still overseas or in USL/fringe MLS all know what to expect from CPL now.  Hopefully we'll see enough continuity so the team can have some stability, but it wouldnt surprise me if a good 30-40% of the Valor squad arent around next year.  Some did well and might move on, others didnt work out and will be cut loose.  I just hope that if Gale stays he can build on the postive turn the end of the season has taken.  

Next year will be interesting, Calgary wont have the built in team chemistry advantage they had this year. And the top teams will be victims of own success as the best players might move on (Borges/Zator/Carducci).  

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

Does anyone really think Beland-Goyette will be back at Valour next season? He was on a one year contract and has surely done enough to move back to MLS.

Petrasso has also done well for Valour but I have my doubts whether MLS will come calling. That striker pool is filled with DPs and Petrasso does not score often enough from open play. Another break away went begging against FCE and it was not the first. I think he will need to look outside North America to move up a level. He won't be thrilled about it but I think we will see him back at Valour next season.

Maybe another season will do him good. I really think that we should keep most of the squad around. I think they've just started to gel really well and have been playing better and more structurally sound over the last few games. Switching to a 4-3-3/3-4-3 awakened something. Now the boys know each other well and it would be a shame to get rid of that just to be better short term. I hope Gale is planning long term with these guys. 

12 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Both Petrasso and Beland-Goyette were on a one year deal so it will be up to them where they play next season. I'm sure Valour will try to keep both if they can but I think that is unlikely to happen.

The question, really, is which would you rather keep? You can probably keep one, but not both.

7 hours ago, Lofty said:

I love the mascot but should we now start calling the "Bombers" the "Buzz and Boomers"?

Or maybe we should call the bombers the "Birds".  

I suppose "Lions" is not completely crazy because of the lion on the Victoria Cross, but it just doesn't feel right, and I really hate the idea of OneSoccer analysts deciding the team nic name.  If we aren't using that, they shouldn't be

Sometimes teams have a nickname that is pretty much only used by the club, while the fans have one that the media tend to shy away from. In Scotland, Dundee United are the Terrors according to the club, but the Arabs according to the fans because of a game played on a heavily sanded pitch back in the 1960s. In England, Bristol Rovers are the Pirates according to the club, but the Gas according to the fans because their old ground was beside a gasworks and had a distinct odour to it. Hopefully Valour fans can come up with something truly organic and original like that.

Hoping we do not lose most of the squad.  With the exception of a few players, most are capable of performing at this level.  We could easily lose MP &  LBG.

It will be very interesting to see where most of our returning players end up over the winter.  Hopefully they will all catch on with professional clubs overseas, even if it's just on their reserve rosters.

4 hours ago, Sigma78 said:

Sacramento has signed with Hawke's Bay United in the New Zealand 1st tier

The article makes it sound like its a good way to get minutes in the off season, so maybe he is coming back???  Hoyle looked completely bagged trying to play back to back seasons, but Sacremento didn't play that much, maybe he'll do better.