Valour FC Season Thread 2019

12 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Right.

But do we get salary cap relief for Golubar's wages while he is injured? I was under the impression we don't. Which would make us fine on quantity but limited on quality. Doh!

Think a possible way around that is to pay summer window signings a bit extra in year two through a guaranteed multiyear contract, which could work well if the cap was raised significantly. Only downside with that is what happens if the cap remains much the same as it was this year and the signing turns into your next Stephen Hoyle, and won't leave by mutual consent.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

59 minutes ago, MrsC said:

I'm pretty sure we don't get salary relief

I'm pretty sure Wade Miller has a long history of creative accounting as far as salary caps are concerned.  Not saying he's in any way involved with the Valour board, but corporate culture is corporate culture.

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

I'm pretty sure Wade Miller has a long history of creative accounting as far as salary caps are concerned.  Not saying he's in any way involved with the Valour board, but corporate culture is corporate culture.

Wade is the President & CEO of WFC so he's definitely heavily involved.

1 minute ago, gator said:

He might be just what Valour need, maybe what Forge needs as well, I just don't want to see any goals from him this Saturday! 

We'll both be waiting to see if he will play in Hamilton, though for different reasons.  I'll be in Hamilton on Saturday, so maybe I'll see you :)

14 minutes ago, MrsC said:

We'll both be waiting to see if he will play in Hamilton, though for different reasons.  I'll be in Hamilton on Saturday, so maybe I'll see you :)

I'm sure we'll see you, it should be a good match, warmer than the inaugural one you attended, will you be in the Supporters Section?

9 hours ago, gator said:

I'm sure we'll see you, it should be a good match, warmer than the inaugural one you attended, will you be in the Supporters Section?

Yep.  I think we will have 3 of us making up the away section 😉

Well, brought in a set of Spanish eyes for the midfield, expect that will assist in defensive anticipation and a calmer counter.  (Of course that wasn't really a problem earlier in the year, all fell apart because the attack didn't know how to attack more than 60 yards from their own goal).

Brought in a set of Italian eyes with some goal scoring feet attached, expect that will assist in creating and completing more goal scoring opportunities, for everyone.  Desperately needed.  (So long as there is something left in those 33 year old legs, enough for this league anyway).

Hope everyone on the pitch gets playing it all together sooner rather than later.  We sure need it to.

Another thought.  Its pretty obvious that Valour have been sitting on cap money and it's looking like that was probably the plan all along.  Use the spring season as an extended preseason, assess, and try to adjust the roster where it most needs adjusting.  Might not be done yet either.

Who else around the league has openings on the roster?

37 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

something

19 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Another thought.  Its pretty obvious that Valour have been sitting on cap money and it's looking like that was probably the plan all along.  Use the spring season as an extended preseason, assess, and try to adjust the roster where it most needs adjusting.  Might not be done yet either.

Bold strategy cotton, let’s see if it works out for them. 

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

I suspect it was more an issue of holding on to cap space for some of those big name signings that were rumored but didn't pan out before the last window closed.  Now we are finally able to spend it.

So I just learned that Tyler Attardo had played (or at least trained) some times with Rangers de Talca of Chile. Very interesting, I was always under the impression that people from Manitoba had never been outside of their province! 😂

(It's a joke, please don't hate me for that!)

On 7/20/2019 at 2:56 PM, Ingham said:

So I just learned that Tyler Attardo had played (or at least trained) some times with Rangers de Talca of Chile. Very interesting, I was always under the impression that people from Manitoba had never been outside of their province! 😂

(It's a joke, please don't hate me for that!)

Joey Torchia got around a lot, and he was Manitoban, and look where it got him!

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Shaping up to be a decent crowd again on Saturday vs. Cavalry. Looks like a bit over 5,000 at the moment: not bad for such an early kick off, and also during peak cottage season.

Attractive fixture: Cavalry visiting IGF for the first time and also their first match after their historic VCup win over the Whitecaps.

Can Valour improve their home record of 1 win and 5 losses? And end their home losing streak at 4 losses? Even a draw in this one would be a confidence booster.

This one's going to be on TV as well. I'm excited to potentially see Paolucci's debut; as much as Attardo has been good, he could be the top attacking player Valour need.

Does anyone else think its remarkable that Attardo goes from grade 12 biology down to IG field and leads the team in goals.  How many other kids are there like this out there? In sudbury, saskatoon, fredricton, lethbridge, Gatineau etc??  I hope he still gets his chances now that they have brought in another striker.