Valour FC Season Thread 2019

Lots of NWSL players go to Australia to play in the W league during the off season, mostly to keep fit, but also to supplement the income.  I've never noticed anyone seem too fatigued to play when they return, but sometimes the players that play year round seem a bit more injury prone.  Considering Sacremento is heading there injured, hopefully they take care not to over do it in New Zealand, as well as when he returns.

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The article makes it sound like its a good way to get minutes in the off season, so maybe he is coming back???  Hoyle looked completely bagged trying to play back to back seasons, but Sacremento didn't play that much, maybe he'll do better.  

Maxsym Kowal, this year's L10 MVP with 14 goals in 14 games for Vaughan, has gone back and forth between Ontario and New Zealand for several years now.  Was rumoured to be signing somewhere in CanPL last winter, curious if anyone picks him this off-season.  

21 minutes ago, MrsC said:

It's official.  Valour cannot finish last in the Fall table or the combined table 😉

LOL.

That it's worth pointing out, as a matter of pride & accomplishment at that, sorta says everything that needs to be said without actuallly saying it doesn't it?  Go on, de-code that one.  I dare you!

I'll see your bottom feeder rescue post and raise you a "we can still finish .500 at home and in the Fall Season." post.

Your's truly.  

(And patiently waiting on Lofty to see, raise and call playing a "We can still finish level on goal difference!" post).

Cheeta.

P.S.  If he does, he's bluffing. 

On 10/9/2019 at 7:27 AM, MrsC said:

Or maybe we should call the bombers the "Birds".  

I suppose "Lions" is not completely crazy because of the lion on the Victoria Cross, but it just doesn't feel right, and I really hate the idea of OneSoccer analysts deciding the team nic name.  If we aren't using that, they shouldn't be

Lions is cool and all, but I think we can do better in terms of nicknames. I was thinking something simple, like "The V" or maybe "The Troop"?

Edited by TrenchGirl

7 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Ahem, "V's" is taken! 😀  (You are on the V's message board!)

You don't like "Maroons"? It is the team's primary colour and has some history with Winnipeg sports teams...

When I think of "Maroons", I think of hockey automatically. Besides, I think we can come up with something more unique than "Maroons" or "Reds". Hence why I'd like a name that's more army-related, like "Troops" or something.

We are having an end of season event at the Kings Head tonight (6:30 start).  We will give out the RRR Player of the Year award and the Goal of the Year award at 7.  Most of the team will be there, but they have to leave at 8:00 because they fly to Victoria early tomorrow.  Kids are allowed at the Kings Head until 9:00 and all are welcome!

On 10/17/2019 at 7:18 AM, MrsC said:

We are having an end of season event at the Kings Head tonight (6:30 start).  We will give out the RRR Player of the Year award and the Goal of the Year award at 7.  Most of the team will be there, but they have to leave at 8:00 because they fly to Victoria early tomorrow.  Kids are allowed at the Kings Head until 9:00 and all are welcome!

How was it?

15 hours ago, Lofty said:

LBG's goal is the one.

As for Player of the Year, my short list is:

1. Beland-Goyette

2. Bustos

3. Petrasso

And that is how I rank them, but it is really close between 1st and 2nd.

But I suspect the majority will pick Bustos because it is very easy to overlook the contribution of more defensive players while everybody remembers goals.

LBG is probably our best player throughout the year, but I do think Bustos leveled up a couple times this year. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of teams came calling for his services.

9 hours ago, Lofty said:

"Sentimental Favourite of the Year" is more like it! What did he have, half a dozen starts all season? 😂

Sure he scored 6 goals but he was not very influential otherwise.

Very promising talent, for sure.

We posted the vote the day after that game where Attardo scored the two goals, and that likely influenced people.  LBG was my vote, and most people I talked to voted for Bustos (who was my runner up) but lots of votes were submitted for Attardo.  I think next year I would like to share the vote with our mailing list rather than posting it publicly, so that we can know the results reflect RRR members.  I'm not saying they didn't this year, but we can't really know.

It might be fun to do a vote here for player of the year, with the usual Voyageurs ranking system.  Rather than start a new thread, if people want to tag me in the post, I can tally up the results at the end of day on Sunday.  

List your top 3 (3 points will go to first, 2 points to second and 1 point to third).

I'm with you @Lofty (I added your vote to the tally).  My top 3 are:

1. LBG

2. Bustos

3. Petrasso 

Edited by MrsC
typo

I'd retain Bustos, LBG, Carreiro, Musse, Attardo, Petrasso, Galan and probably Ohin.

Not sure about a bunch of others. Pena looked okay in limited minutes.

I'd jettison Thomas, Murrell, Mitter and Le Bourhis and just re-build the defense from scratch.

Edited by Wippersuna

19 hours ago, Lofty said:

I would like to keep Le Bourhis. I think he did fairly well overall and he is young. But yeah, central defense needs a major overhaul.

I think we can keep Le Bourhis and develop him more, and while Thomas had his moments, that defense was not up to par. We need like a veteran piece or two to give some much-needed guidance to the youth in the back. Don't ask me who, but I'm sure we'll find one or two.