Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Valour FC Season Thread 2019

6 hours ago, johnyb said:

Top goal scorer for Tarxien last year with 7 in 20 apps and added 4 goals in 3 cup games.  

According to wikipedia, he has 57 goals in 272 career league appearances. That is one goal every 4.8 apps.

Does seem to have been scoring a bit more recently (at the lower levels) though, so fingers crossed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Paolucci

1 minute ago, gator said:

He might be just what Valour need, maybe what Forge needs as well, I just don't want to see any goals from him this Saturday! 

We'll both be waiting to see if he will play in Hamilton, though for different reasons.  I'll be in Hamilton on Saturday, so maybe I'll see you :)

14 minutes ago, MrsC said:

We'll both be waiting to see if he will play in Hamilton, though for different reasons.  I'll be in Hamilton on Saturday, so maybe I'll see you :)

I'm sure we'll see you, it should be a good match, warmer than the inaugural one you attended, will you be in the Supporters Section?

9 hours ago, gator said:

I'm sure we'll see you, it should be a good match, warmer than the inaugural one you attended, will you be in the Supporters Section?

Yep.  I think we will have 3 of us making up the away section 😉

Well, brought in a set of Spanish eyes for the midfield, expect that will assist in defensive anticipation and a calmer counter.  (Of course that wasn't really a problem earlier in the year, all fell apart because the attack didn't know how to attack more than 60 yards from their own goal).

Brought in a set of Italian eyes with some goal scoring feet attached, expect that will assist in creating and completing more goal scoring opportunities, for everyone.  Desperately needed.  (So long as there is something left in those 33 year old legs, enough for this league anyway).

Hope everyone on the pitch gets playing it all together sooner rather than later.  We sure need it to.

Another thought.  Its pretty obvious that Valour have been sitting on cap money and it's looking like that was probably the plan all along.  Use the spring season as an extended preseason, assess, and try to adjust the roster where it most needs adjusting.  Might not be done yet either.

Who else around the league has openings on the roster?

37 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

something

19 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Another thought.  Its pretty obvious that Valour have been sitting on cap money and it's looking like that was probably the plan all along.  Use the spring season as an extended preseason, assess, and try to adjust the roster where it most needs adjusting.  Might not be done yet either.

Bold strategy cotton, let’s see if it works out for them. 

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

I suspect it was more an issue of holding on to cap space for some of those big name signings that were rumored but didn't pan out before the last window closed.  Now we are finally able to spend it.

So I just learned that Tyler Attardo had played (or at least trained) some times with Rangers de Talca of Chile. Very interesting, I was always under the impression that people from Manitoba had never been outside of their province! 😂

(It's a joke, please don't hate me for that!)

On 7/20/2019 at 2:56 PM, Ingham said:

So I just learned that Tyler Attardo had played (or at least trained) some times with Rangers de Talca of Chile. Very interesting, I was always under the impression that people from Manitoba had never been outside of their province! 😂

(It's a joke, please don't hate me for that!)

Joey Torchia got around a lot, and he was Manitoban, and look where it got him!

Posted (edited)

Let's talk about Valour's home record. The second best supported team in the league and their home record is utterly appalling.

In the Spring Season, Valour lost 4 out of 5 at home in the league and lost to HFX in the VCup. That is 6 matches played, 1 win and 5 losses. We now need to win FOUR IN A ROW just to break even! Absolutely TERRIBLE.

In the Spring Season, the only other team with a losing record at home was York, with 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses. But they beat FCE in the VCup, so overall they were 2-2-2. And they have not been getting anywhere near the kind of support that Valour have.

Valour are the worst home team in the CPL by a country mile. The fans cannot be expected to keep turning up to watch a team that does nothing but lose. And the die hards are going to have to start wearing bags over their heads.

Edit: Valour's current HOME LOSING STREAK: FOUR IN A ROW and counting. Another CPL futility record.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Winnipeg religious leaders have today announced that in lieu of self flagellation with a whip, subjects must watch Valour FC. The move has been met with robust criticism for being far too severe and many are calling for subjects to be given the choice. This has been rejected by religious leaders on the grounds that everyone would choose the whip.

self.jpg

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Shaping up to be a decent crowd again on Saturday vs. Cavalry. Looks like a bit over 5,000 at the moment: not bad for such an early kick off, and also during peak cottage season.

Attractive fixture: Cavalry visiting IGF for the first time and also their first match after their historic VCup win over the Whitecaps.

Can Valour improve their home record of 1 win and 5 losses? And end their home losing streak at 4 losses? Even a draw in this one would be a confidence booster.

Edited by Lofty

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Shaping up to be a decent crowd again on Saturday vs. Cavalry. Looks like a bit over 5,000 at the moment: not bad for such an early kick off, and also during peak cottage season.

Attractive fixture: Cavalry visiting IGF for the first time and also their first match after their historic VCup win over the Whitecaps.

Can Valour improve their home record of 1 win and 5 losses? And end their home losing streak at 4 losses? Even a draw in this one would be a confidence booster.

This one's going to be on TV as well. I'm excited to potentially see Paolucci's debut; as much as Attardo has been good, he could be the top attacking player Valour need.

Does anyone else think its remarkable that Attardo goes from grade 12 biology down to IG field and leads the team in goals.  How many other kids are there like this out there? In sudbury, saskatoon, fredricton, lethbridge, Gatineau etc??  I hope he still gets his chances now that they have brought in another striker.  

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Does anyone else think its remarkable that Attardo goes from grade 12 biology down to IG field and leads the team in goals.  How many other kids are there like this out there? In sudbury, saskatoon, fredricton, lethbridge, Gatineau etc??  I hope he still gets his chances now that they have brought in another striker.  

Valour now have three "strikers" in the squad: Attardo, Ferguson, and Paolucci. (Some may count Musse although from what I have read and seen, he is more of a winger / attacking-mid.)

Attardo is the top scorer. I would think that Paolucci's biggest contribution might just be to help with Attardo's development rather than to replace him as the team's poacher. He has an impressive resume when it comes to level of play, but less impressive when it comes to scoring rate. Personally, I am hoping to see them playing together.

(And yes, it is remarkable! There are other examples though, such as Wayne Rooney playing for Everton at 16. It would be wonderful if Attardo could turn out to be that good!)

Edited by Lofty

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

(And yes, it is remarkable! There are other examples though, such as Wayne Rooney playing for Everton at 16. It would be wonderful if Attardo could turn out to be that good!)

Ya think? 😂