York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

32 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Ted:  We dont have a team like the red bulls, thats MLS if we are counting hairs.  And we dont have to continue every old english/european tradition.  How many million times have posters on here told me its a business, the team needs to make money not care about CDN players etc etc ad nauseum.  Just because 100 year old clubs copied ancient coats of arms from the dark ages doesnt mean we have to continue it.  There are plenty of modern LOGO style team CRESTS out there even in Europe.  You like one kind, but if the teams and others like more modern LOGOs, let bygones be bygones.

<sigh> "We" as in the global soccer community.

<double sigh> I am not objecting to the designs or things looking modern. I am objecting to describing them like the are businesses or corporate entities. I am objecting to the word, "logos" not the actual thing that someone has created. (Well maybe some of them if they suck).

Soccer is about more than simply business and if you want to be nothing more than a "customer" that is your choice.

But the way I see it:

logo = prawn-sandwich-eating corporate stooge

crest = heroic supporter and superior human being 

;)

How many TFC fans are going to support this team? I'm totally down to go see games because it's easier to get to Vaughan and the tickets will probably be waaaay cheaper but is it weird to be fan of two teams that are nearby? I figure it's aight since they're in different leagues.

20 minutes ago, Bdog said:

How many TFC fans are going to support this team?

I have no problem supporting both teams and would expect other TFC fans feel the same.  It would only be difficult if they were both in the same league. Or, playing against each other which could easily happen in the Canadian Championship.  I like underdogs and want to see Canadian players succeed, so I already know who I would cheer for in that scenario :)

34 minutes ago, Bdog said:

How many TFC fans are going to support this team? I'm totally down to go see games because it's easier to get to Vaughan and the tickets will probably be waaaay cheaper but is it weird to be fan of two teams that are nearby? I figure it's aight since they're in different leagues.

I've began losing interest in TFC ever since CPL was announced. Other than the CCL games this year, I have stopped being as excited about MLS games. Will be dropping my TFC season tickets next year.

We should start putting World War 2 style Propaganda posters all over York Region and the GTA in general displayng grotesque images of stand ins for Rogers/Bell fleecing nerdy looking guys wearing red shirts and scarves, and then off to the side have a “chad” looking, based individual wearing a York 9 jersey. The caption should be “Stop being a cuck” followed by “Alpha up and join the movement” 

Edited by Macksam

37 minutes ago, Macksam said:

We should start putting World War 2 style Propaganda posters all over York Region and the GTA in general displayng grotesque images of stand ins for Rogers/Bell fleecing nerdy looking guys wearing red shirts and scarves, and then off to the side have a “chad” looking, based individual wearing a York 9 jersey. The caption should be “Stop being a cuck” followed by “Alpha up and join the movement” 

I dont think I understood any of that past nerdy guys in red shirts.  CHAD? CUCK? ALPHA??  Are these the guys who want craft beer, bike parking and ironic mustache wax at the games?? 

51 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Or even simpler...TFC finishes last place in the standings this year and the propaganda writes itself.

15 hours ago, Bdog said:

I strongly suggest that York 9 ensure that their schedule doesn't overlap with TFC's to make it possible for people to follow/attend both. If the games go head to head, I'm not sure how many will suddenly desert TFC to flock to see York 9. I probably won't if there's a conflict.

Keep in mind that even though I live in York Region, I'm in one of the most eastern of the "9" towns (and the east side of that - I'm closer to Pickering than I am to Unionville, let alone Richmond Hill let alone somewhere north of Maple) and it will take about the same amount of time on a weekend to get to either the York University stadium or the new one they are proposing to build (which is even further away) than it does to get to BMO Field. When I last saw the Lynx play at York University I don't think they had the track around the field but it was before they upgraded the stadium. Having that track is going to take a bit of getting used to

Back in the CSL days I supported both the Blizzard & North York Rockets, though would cheer for Blizzard vs. the Rockets in matches between the two. The Blizzard were my traditional team but technically North York were closer. It's a similar situation here except they aren't in the same league.

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

Don't go into marketing.

38 minutes ago, BradMack said:

So who exactly are Generation IX? To me it sort of seemed like the club put them together... Hadn't heard of them at all in the lead up. Just doesn't seem like they came up organically like everyone else. Can anyone shed some light?

I've been wondering this same thing. They just came out of nowhere.

53 minutes ago, BradMack said:

So who exactly are Generation IX? To me it sort of seemed like the club put them together... Hadn't heard of them at all in the lead up. Just doesn't seem like they came up organically like everyone else. Can anyone shed some light?

I seriously doubt any Canadian pro soccer franchise would ever do that sort of thing. Tribal Rhythm Nation cough splutter...

4 hours ago, BradMack said:

They seemed legit when we talked to them but yeah, not a lot of contact with outside soccer groups.  Maybe one or two guys in there who used to be (are?) with Inebriatti.

Just wanna say how excited I am to see the first CPL crests and team branding. As an east coast kid I'm holding out for Halifax, but the branding and quality of the York 9 team has me incredibly excited to see what else CPL has in store.

The production quality is top notch. Clearly this league is serious - this is the real deal. I'm over the moon.

I don't love York 9's crest, but I do love the colours. I'm not sure about some of their club identity stuff... but I don't need to be, because they aren't my team haha!

Seriously, congrats York. And congrats Canada soccer fans!

On 5/11/2018 at 5:59 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just so that former post is not my only on this thread, have to say I also like the name, it is really odd, since it has no reasonable soccer links, but then perfectly justified. So it is sort of an "in" name, you have to get it. And of course NINE is a nice number to work with on a lot of levels.

As for comments on the graphic design, let's be honest, the CPL logo is very ugly and very poorly designed. The all red version of it is much better, the one we see embroidered into a jersey. Fortunately, crests and team colour schemes are constantly being reworked even amongst historical clubs, so they can always upgrade in the future, no need to get too upset about lack of respect for the design profession yet (which we constantly see on this board with so many amateur and well-meaning attempts at club graphics which look and feel exactly like that.) Why is it so hard to respect expertise in this area?

Gotta say I disagree, I really like the league logo and even though the York9 one definitely isn't one for traditionalists, I think it's pretty clean and simple.

I have heard more positive then negative about both creations :/

On 2018-05-11 at 10:01 PM, Bdog said:

I'm from Vaughan, so I'm already pretty passionate about York 9. But, I've been supporting TFC for almost as long as I've been alive, so it'll be different to split my allegiances. It will be the most difficult if there is a TFC vs York 9 game in the Canadian Championship. I'm curious as to what other fans in the same case as me would do in this situation. For me personally, I'll probably become more immersed in York 9 when they move up to Vaughan from York U.

1 minute ago, Jith12 said:

I'm from Vaughan, so I'm already pretty passionate about York 9. But, I've been supporting TFC for almost as long as I've been alive, so it'll be different to split my allegiances. It will be the most difficult if there is a TFC vs York 9 game in the Canadian Championship. I'm curious as to what other fans in the same case as me would do in this situation. For me personally, I'll probably become more immersed in York 9 when they move up to Vaughan from York U.

FWIW - As someone who wants to be more active in supporting the local game, traveling to away games and even more reasonably priced games that I could bring my family too, York9 ticks a lot of boxes.  

It's tough though, being a TFC fan since inception and now dreaming about an AWAY DAY to BMO Field is really strange.  But us on the V's board know it's a good problem to have.

7 hours ago, BradMack said:

I met @michaeltfc91 who is one of the Generation IX guys and he helped break it down.  Maybe he can reply to this thread and plug everyone in.