York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Looking forward to the competition for talent in the GTA. Of course TFC has the edge for now and the upcoming future and chances are high that we'll be seeing former TFC academy players not only with York but throughout the league.

But after a while, and if York 9 and others can offer similar trainers and facilities, I don't think it's obvious that the bigger talents go to TFC anymore. If there will be a market for players, if the clubs are really going to compete with each other in terms of salaries, transfer sums etc, the pathway through CanPL will look more and more appealing.

If you're really that good, MLS can always buy you later on. At least in CPL you have some say about your future. 

39 minutes ago, shamrock said:

...If you're really that good, MLS can always buy you later on. At least in CPL you have some say about your future. 

Assuming all goes well on a launch (looking much more likely than not if the flexibility shown in using York U in the GTA is repeated in BC with Swangard, but people should bear in mind that there are still a few issues to be resolved such as Edmonton and Ottawa), it will be interesting to see if CanPL youth teams will be defined as CSA recognized academies in terms of the MLS domestic player rule. That would be the best outcome from a CMNT standpoint, but both leagues might balk at the prospect given CanPL doesn't seem to like any development league angle and MLS would probably prefer to get top prospects into their system first to avoid transfer fees and solidarity payments.

Joined as a member yesterday, and I'd been skeptical about this team specifically for awhile now, but I was really pleasantly surprised and can say a number of things about the presentation and other aspects of the team definitely went beyond my expectations, and I don't mean the announcement about hoping to build a 12,000-15,000 seater, we've all heard rumours about that for awhile. But yeah, looking forward to supporting the club. Until things get awkward when York faces the Fury obviously ;)

47 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Assuming all goes well on a launch (looking much more likely than not if the flexibility shown in using York U in the GTA is repeated in BC with Swangard, but people should bear in mind that there are still a few issues to be resolved such as Edmonton and Ottawa), it will be interesting to see if CanPL youth teams will be defined as CSA recognized academies in terms of the MLS domestic player rule. That would be the best outcome from a CMNT standpoint, but both leagues might balk at the prospect given CanPL doesn't seem to like any development league angle and MLS would probably prefer to get top prospects into their system first to avoid transfer fees and solidarity payments.

I can't imagine CPL being against getting that designation. I think it would raise the value of their players, why would they be against that? I think they are against being branded 2nd tier below MLS and putting a ceiling on the league's potential, but are not against selling players on to MLS. Just like MLS is branded 1st tier, but are still happy to sell players on to other leagues that have a higher level of play.

15 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

One thing I haven't seen noted is the production values they have going. The videos and the overall feel of the launch party was very well done. Probably around 200 people there 

The professionalism has me pretty pleased, a sign of things to come

I'd like to second this.  The videos have been great so far.  Really striking the right chord, at least for me.

5 minutes ago, Wingback6 said:

I like the number 9 thing. But the 'crest' is god-awful. Looks like pic art of a soccer team logo. I truly hope that isn't what they go with on the jerseys.

Pretty sure it will be on the jersey.  Don't think they would go through all the pomp and circumstance yesterday if they weren't all in on the logo lol

7 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I like the logo. I like their plans for the stadium. The only thing that I found cringworthy was the Generation IX name and that banner they were using. Looks and sounds like something straight out of WWE 20 years ago.

I like the name personally.  It's a supporters group, they are who their members are.  Side question, do we know how it's pronounced?  Is it "Generation 9"?  "Generation IX"?

Edited by Rheo

4 hours ago, Kent said:

I can't imagine CPL being against getting that designation. I think it would raise the value of their players, why would they be against that? I think they are against being branded 2nd tier below MLS and putting a ceiling on the league's potential, but are not against selling players on to MLS. Just like MLS is branded 1st tier, but are still happy to sell players on to other leagues that have a higher level of play.

Clubs being able to sell their players directly is a BIG plus over MLS. It's an incentive to invest in youth set-ups. If you appen to stumble upon a major talent like Davies (IMO there's not much to develop there. The player develops himself by playing at a high level), you can make a nice profit.

That would be a nice landmark: the first CanPL-player sold for a million!

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

I like the name personally.  It's a supporters group, they are who their members are.  Side question, do we know how it's pronounced?  Is it "Generation 9"?  "Generation IX"?

Nine. Like the team.

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I like the logo. 

I have a small request (this is not directed at mpg_29 in particular) but can we please stop using the word, "logo".

A logo is a trademark of a company, a business. 

A crest is what clubs have. 

I understand for legal reasons we have to "trademark" crests, but please, we don't have to like this sort of business intrusion into our game. It's bad enough we have teams like the "Red Bulls". :P

Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, Alex D said:

The company says they are fire "resistant". I don't know if I'd be willing to find out how resistant. 

Glulam is rated very highly for fire resistance. This is an awesome find Alex. I didn't even notice this. I've been interested in Glulam construction for a bit. They are building 14 storey towers out of them in Denmark.

Just so that former post is not my only on this thread, have to say I also like the name, it is really odd, since it has no reasonable soccer links, but then perfectly justified. So it is sort of an "in" name, you have to get it. And of course NINE is a nice number to work with on a lot of levels.

As for comments on the graphic design, let's be honest, the CPL logo is very ugly and very poorly designed. The all red version of it is much better, the one we see embroidered into a jersey. Fortunately, crests and team colour schemes are constantly being reworked even amongst historical clubs, so they can always upgrade in the future, no need to get too upset about lack of respect for the design profession yet (which we constantly see on this board with so many amateur and well-meaning attempts at club graphics which look and feel exactly like that.) Why is it so hard to respect expertise in this area?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Ted:  We dont have a team like the red bulls, thats MLS if we are counting hairs.  And we dont have to continue every old english/european tradition.  How many million times have posters on here told me its a business, the team needs to make money not care about CDN players etc etc ad nauseum.  Just because 100 year old clubs copied ancient coats of arms from the dark ages doesnt mean we have to continue it.  There are plenty of modern LOGO style team CRESTS out there even in Europe.  You like one kind, but if the teams and others like more modern LOGOs, let bygones be bygones.