York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

1 minute ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

FWIW - As someone who wants to be more active in supporting the local game, traveling to away games and even more reasonably priced games that I could bring my family too, York9 ticks a lot of boxes.  

It's tough though, being a TFC fan since inception and now dreaming about an AWAY DAY to BMO Field is really strange.  But us on the V's board know it's a good problem to have.

Yes, you're exactly right. If there is any problem that we actually want, it is having too many local teams to support!

29 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

I'm from Vaughan, so I'm already pretty passionate about York 9. But, I've been supporting TFC for almost as long as I've been alive, so it'll be different to split my allegiances. It will be the most difficult if there is a TFC vs York 9 game in the Canadian Championship. I'm curious as to what other fans in the same case as me would do in this situation. For me personally, I'll probably become more immersed in York 9 when they move up to Vaughan from York U.

r_806326_5XkjA-1.jpg

On 5/11/2018 at 1:11 PM, mpg_29 said:

I like the logo. I like their plans for the stadium. The only thing that I found cringworthy was the Generation IX name and that banner they were using. Looks and sounds like something straight out of WWE 20 years ago.

Each their own I suppose. At the end of the day it won't be on the jersey of the team I will be supporting, so what does it matter. I think the Generation IX  is hilarious. In a mostly good way.

Article about York 9 that was probably too downbeat to be posted by the usual suspects on here:

https://www.yorkregion.com/opinion-story/8608219-cuddy-shark-york-9-bid-to-be-this-region-s-soccer-team-a-tall-order/

... “TFC was in the same position as us 10 years ago,” said Brennan, who became the first captain for the Reds. “TFC raised the bar, but we are not competing with them.” ...

20 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

... “TFC was in the same position as us 10 years ago,” said Brennan, who became the first captain for the Reds. “TFC raised the bar, but we are not competing with them.” ...

My understanding is the York9 FO is careful to set up any walls with TFC fans.  "Not competing with them" could be an attempt to not put off those potential fans.

Clearly they will try and compete with them in the cup.

1 hour ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

My understanding is the York9 FO is careful to set up any walls with TFC fans.  "Not competing with them" could be an attempt to not put off those potential fans.

I think we can tell by the logo and marketing strategy is them meaning literally what they are saying... they won't compete with TFC... meaning not trying to draw Torontonians to York FC but instead focus 100% at converting as many as they can within York Region. They are focused on the 1.2M people in their territory.

They need to convert 1.15% of them to sell out a 15k stadium. It's very doable and they are smart to just focus on that. If Torontonians goes to the games, it's extra for them, but they shouldn't rely on it.

Last thing you need is TFC retaliating by heavily marketing MLS & TFC within York Region. No need to poke the sleeping bear by trying to poach in its own den.

It just shows that they know what they are doing and I hope that's exactly what Surrey will do.

Victoria and Hamilton are far enough to throw the net wider without having to worry too much about an MLS team retaliating via marketing. York FC and Surrey can't be doing that...certainly not this early in their existence

Edited by Ansem

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Victoria and Hamilton are far enough to throw the net wider without having to worry too much about an MLS team retaliating via marketing. York FC and Surrey can't be doing that...certainly not this early in their existence

Correct. This is why in these two specific markets you may want to release CPL schedule after MLS comes out to avoid counter-programming. Equally, •WC2 worked well when the 1st team was away. There's a market of parents with kids that is on a level of "wanna see a game" that cannot be underestimated, after all MLS taps into it too.

Last summer when back I saw Caps, WC2 at UBC, TSS Rovers PDL at Swangard. I'd say about 30 hardcore fans were doing that, can't say about those happy to sit quietly in the stands. 

30 minutes ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

Ok, I thought you meant it in the context of a competition level.

He did. He’s just reeling now that I called him out and made him look stupid. The way he pre-empted that post...of course he meant it to be about the competition level.

Edited by Macksam

On 5/25/2018 at 5:04 PM, Ansem said:

Member #122 so far

Screenshot_20180525-190031_Chrome.thumb.jpg.717ffdca56befb0be589b7251cd8140c.jpg

Wow, this is disappointing compared to the other 2. Always assumed they'd be in tough with TFC in the area but 122 is much lower than I'd expect at this point.

Just my opinion but way too much is being made over the low number for York thus far.  This was always most likely to be the hardest market to get into with the competition for the entertainment dollar.  Add in going first so no momentum and very little media attention in general for the league.  I honestly don't think their is anything to get worried about.  Long time to go until next year.  Honestly I think they're the team in which the game day presentation/atmosphere is going to be the most important thing.  Word of mouth is going to be really important for them compared to the other teams that have less competition in their markets.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Just my opinion but way too much is being made over the low number for York thus far.  This was always most likely to be the hardest market to get into with the competition for the entertainment dollar.  Add in going first so no momentum and very little media attention in general for the league.  I honestly don't think their is anything to get worried about.  Long time to go until next year.  Honestly I think they're the team in which the game day presentation/atmosphere is going to be the most important thing.  Word of mouth is going to be really important for them compared to the other teams that have less competition in their markets.

Their whole marketing is around unifying all 9 municipalities of York Region...yet they'll spend 2-3 years at York University in Toronto. They haven't marketed themselves in Toronto proper and in another post, I explained why this would be a very bad idea to do so. TFC can live with York Region supporting York 9 but I think a marketing campaign within Toronto, which TFC views as their birthright, would be met by an immediate retaliation with a marketing campaign of their own in York. Not necessary...not worth it.

I think they accepted that the York University era will be modest and attendance will be most likely low. What they have going for them is that they will be building one hell of a stadium!!!! Once the location is released and city plan about "rumored" entertainment district are disclosed, their marketing will be that much more efficient which should draw way more fans.

jlkctuh55bx01.jpg

What they don't need is TFC, using those 3 years at waging war in York Region because the team tried to compete within Toronto. We all remember the stark warning that Bill Manning served to anyone who would dare compete in Toronto.

The best is still to come, I'm not worried.

Oh no, what’s tfc gonna do to retaliate? Lower their prices? 

TFC are the ones who need to be scared here because a cheaper option is available.  What are they going to do promote tfc at the same prices? It’s not like people don’t know about tfc in York but there are sure as hell a bunch of people in Toronto who aren’t happy with tfc prices and want a cheaper option. 

I guess years of ripping people off to watch the one option suddenly doesn’t look so good. Poor MLSE this isn’t the NHL where you can claim a whole market and gouge people for 100 years and destroy a sport.

Edited by Keegan

TFC will be a factor but it's only one of many.  Science Center, Zoo, Canada's Wonderland, CN Tower, Blue Jays, Black Creek, Fort York, etc.  There's a hell of a lot of things to do in the region hence my belief that the game day experience will be of the utmost importance there over almost every other team in the beginning.

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Oh no, what’s tfc gonna do to retaliate? Lower their prices? 

TFC are the ones who need to be scared here because a cheaper option is available.  What are they going to do promote tfc at the same prices? It’s not like people don’t know about tfc in York but there are sure as hell a bunch of people in Toronto who aren’t happy with tfc prices and want a cheaper option. 

I guess years of ripping people off to watch the one option suddenly doesn’t look so good. Poor MLSE this isn’t the NHL where you can claim a whole market and gouge people for 100 years and destroy a sport.

To be fair.... There are a lot of things I can say I am pissed at TFC about.  Ticket pricing isn't one of them.  The top seats are expensive, but my seats have been like $12, real price, not face, for a long time.  I think it's gone up to $15 or something, but under 20

All the while, they have put a LOT of money into soccer here. Stadium , training facilities, academy ect....

8 minutes ago, admin said:

To be fair.... There are a lot of things I can say I am pissed at TFC about.  Ticket pricing isn't one of them.  The top seats are expensive, but my seats have been like $12, real price, not face, for a long time.  I think it's gone up to $15 or something, but under 20

All the while, they have put a LOT of money into soccer here. Stadium , training facilities, academy ect....

Yes but that’s it right? You’re a season seat holder but how much does it cost your average family that on a whim wants to take in a soccer match? 

Hardcores are going to be hardcores but the battle is for the casuals. 

Just now, Keegan said:

Yes but that’s it right? You’re a season seat holder but how much does it cost your average family that on a whim wants to take in a soccer match? 

Hardcores are going to be hardcores but the battle is for the casuals. 

No sympathy here really.  Especially supporters in the south end who rode out the dark years cause they could get tickets whenever they wanted for free from people like me who bought seasons.   

Seasons were available, for as low as $190 for the whole year including VCup games.    Nobody bought them