Impact 2018

Blackdude

11 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Interested comment from Meilleur-Giguère. He basically says that the work Garde and his staff are doing is exceptional, and that you'll be seeing the Impact taking the place of TFC soon. 

One hopes he is right but so far I have not been impressed by Garde at all. Strange squad selection, tactical formations that don't fit the players, poor in game tactical adjustments, poor substitutions not too mention a really terrible offseason as far as player moves go and entering the season with a squad that was sub par and without the problem areas fixed. 

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Piette starting again in his customary CM role.

Jackson-Hamel, LBG, Petrasso and Shome all available on the bench.

No Edwards. Not listed as injured either. Did he actually not make the 18 for this one?

Garde going with the tried and true, it didn't work the last time so lets do it again style of lineup. 

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

Down 2-1 at 78 with 2 subs left and Jackson, Oduro, Mancosu on the bench until 3-1..come on Garde get up to speed..Piette and Krolicki not bringing enough..Bush: this is way too much for him..gotta bring in a new #1

Bush is the only reason we weren't losing by several goals at half time. There are certainly better starting keepers in MLS than Bush but there also quite a few worse ones and he is one of the few positions in which we are at par with the rest of the league. Most of the other keepers are also not playing behind such a bad defence. Piette is also not the problem though I agree Krolicki is not overly convincing.

This is one badly managed and coached team. Garde so far is a major downgrade on Biello. Again he is playing Piatti as striker where he is useless. I have the impression Garde did not watch any of the games of previous years. It was a terrible offseason of poor signings that did not address the problems of the team. Joey promised us a top coach who had experience at the top levels of European soccer and got someone who met that critieria at the bare minimum probably because anyone good would not be a yes man. Unfortunately the main problem with the Impact is the ownership and management and those are very difficult things to change. 

4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Bush is the only reason we weren't losing by several goals at half time. There are certainly better starting keepers in MLS than Bush but there also quite a few worse ones and he is one of the few positions in which we are at par with the rest of the league. Most of the other keepers are also not playing behind such a bad defence. Piette is also not the problem though I agree Krolicki is not overly convincing.

This is one badly managed and coached team. Garde so far is a major downgrade on Biello. Again he is playing Piatti as striker where he is useless. I have the impression Garde did not watch any of the games of previous years. It was a terrible offseason of poor signings that did not address the problems of the team. Joey promised us a top coach who had experience at the top levels of European soccer and got someone who met that critieria at the bare minimum probably because anyone good would not be a yes man. Unfortunately the main problem with the Impact is the ownership and management and those are very difficult things to change. 

I agree that Garde's tactics have been poor. Piatti up front being the most glaring.

The defence is poor, midfield lacks creativity outside of Piatti and no forwards can score goals this year. You can't start Chris Duvall in MLS in 2018 and expect to win games.

[edit] Read this year's table wrong initially. Bush was quite poor in G - xG last year but one of the best this year. That does support the theory that the backline is the problem this season. As does the fact that he's faced 55 shots on goal this year, by far the most in the league!

https://www.americansocceranalysis.com/keeper-xg-2018/

Despite this year's numbers I've thought it's long past time for them to bring in someone better (not Crepeau). I thought they should have moved for Ousted in the off-season.

Raheem in the doghouse https://www.tsn.ca/impact-coach-says-bench-players-must-show-more-to-get-playing-time-1.1073377

• Without going into details, Garde said Edwards "has come through a difficult period that was not related to football" and needs to fix his behaviour to get back on the pitch.

"I hope we'll rediscover a Raheem who is totally invested in the Impact group.," said Garde. "The group needs him.

"Everyone here likes him a lot, but I think he is someone who needs to understand that professional football is a job that carries responsiblities."

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Raheem in the doghouse https://www.tsn.ca/impact-coach-says-bench-players-must-show-more-to-get-playing-time-1.1073377

• Without going into details, Garde said Edwards "has come through a difficult period that was not related to football" and needs to fix his behaviour to get back on the pitch.

"I hope we'll rediscover a Raheem who is totally invested in the Impact group.," said Garde. "The group needs him.

"Everyone here likes him a lot, but I think he is someone who needs to understand that professional football is a job that carries responsiblities."

Is it possible that this is a reason why TFC didn't protect him in the expansion draft? 

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Is it possible that this is a reason why TFC didn't protect him in the expansion draft? 

Possible yes. Likely? I'd say no. I'm not sure whatever this personal issue was unrelated to football that's affected Raheem in recent weeks but it didn't seem to be there when Garde used him throughout pre-season and in the first couple of games.

Anyway, I hope it all gets sorted out for the better.

32 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I have news for Garde, the guys he is playing don't look good enough during the games. I wonder if he is playing border line MLSers like Duvall and Lovitz because they run their asses off in practice? Similar with Krolicki who has potential but is not ready to be a starter now. I also wonder if the training sessions are why we have so many injured players.

"Frappé par la bonne atmosphère qui a régné ce matin. Le groupe a visiblement bien réagi à la sortie de Garde. Sourires et intensité étaient au rdv d'un entraînement compétitif. Edwards, qui a pris les commentaires comme une "tape dans le dos", était très impliqué." Vincent Destouches, TVA Sport

Suggests Edwards took the comments well, nothing about AJH though

47 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

"Frappé par la bonne atmosphère qui a régné ce matin. Le groupe a visiblement bien réagi à la sortie de Garde. Sourires et intensité étaient au rdv d'un entraînement compétitif. Edwards, qui a pris les commentaires comme une "tape dans le dos", était très impliqué." Vincent Destouches, TVA Sport

Suggests Edwards took the comments well, nothing about AJH though

Edwards talked to the media today. Jackson-Hamel didn`t

59 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I hope Garde isnt playing mind games with AJH.  Trash you in the press, get everyone riled up and then give them the start.  Thats a shitty way to motivate players.  

seems like it worked..

9 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

seems like it worked..

What would have worked even better is to start your team's best striker from the beginning of the season. Also better would be not to play guys who look good in practice but terrible during games. And the guy who is the best winger in the league who is a terrible striker and terrible number 10 because all the coaches before you tried him in those positions but apparently you did not watch any game tape from previous seasons should probably play winger... and...have someone ahead of him who he can pass to and who also makes the defenders not able to focus on him. I could go on and I hope Garde has turned a corner but his first two months have been the worst coaching I have seen at the Impact since NDS was coach.

Archived