Impact 2018

Blackdude

3 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

I don’t get it. How can he be losing 11million almost every year? That’s not even close to breaking even. What kind of business is this? 2 million in city taxes but ok where’s the other 9 million?

After watching Patrick Leduc on RDS apparently Saputo lost $15million in 2015 with Drogba and the Champions League! WTH?People were buying season tickets and selling out the stadium back then. How’s that possible? Show the books then. Where and how are they losing so much money? Is the brass getting paid too much? 

By the way how does it work you have the 7th highest team salary in the league but are 13th or so overall in the standings??? That doesn’t make sense either. Maybe the low Canadian dollar? This tells me they are overpaying for players and not evaluating them properly! They don’t even have a junior team and use the Fury. How do they explain their poor business plan? 

I agree that there many questionable claims that he makes in regards to specific numbers, things that make your eye brows raise.   Notice that he didnt mention the value of the team.  He invested 40 million to get a club and judging by published reports such as Forbes, that investment in mls is now worth 2, 3 or 4 times that now.  Granted, he would have to sell to realise that return so thats all on paper.  

But, On a cashflow basis, there is every reason to believe from afar that he has some challenges on his hands that are not of his doing.  You just have to look at average prices for tickets,  what the season ticket base is, what the turn out looks like when you see games at Saputo.  And then, compare that to what we see and observe elsewhere.  You can also look at things like the front office size and other observable metrics that reflect the amount that the clubs is able to invest in to make the club stronger on a long term basis (ie.; first team players, players academy. etc).  We know that he does have a genuine passion for the sport so obviously you can conclude that if he could spend more on the club, he would.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's probably amortizing the stadium construction costs over a 10-20 year period so that will inflate the annual losses on paper. I'm sure his accountants are probably piling other shit from the other business on to the balance sheet too. And the lack of stadium sponsor revenue is the obvious killer. He's probably doing just fine, just looking for more hand outs.

Just now, jpg75 said:

He's probably amortizing the stadium construction costs over a 10-20 year period so that will inflate the annual losses on paper. I'm sure his accountants are probably piling other shit on to the balance sheet too. And the lack of stadium sponsor revenue is the obvious killer. He's probably doing just fine, just looking for more hand outs.

Yes I always distrust the financial statements of sports franchise owners. There might be the occassional guy that is doing it for ego/love of the game and is willing to lose money but most of the people involved are people that hate losing money. If the sports industry was losing as much money as all these owners claim it would not be operating the way it currently is. In fact, I think most of these guys are making a ton of money and using creative accounting to cry poor and getting a lot of tax breaks and handouts. Also Montreal's attendance is not that bad, we are 15th out of 23 teams but an average attendance of 18499 is not that bad especially given how bad the team has been for the last two years. And with all the talk of MLS 3.0 there are really only two teams that get very large above 30k attendance, Seattle and Atlanta. The fact we have the 7th highest player budget and a pretty bad likely non-playoff team two years in a row shows how poorly managed the team is and if Joey is having money and attendance problems then he should look at himself first and run the team better.

8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The fact we have the 7th highest player budget and a pretty bad likely non-playoff team two years in a row shows how poorly managed the team is and if Joey is having money and attendance problems then he should look at himself first and run the team better.

Exactly, he does this every year. He comes out and complains that the city isn't supporting the team when they are. The only thing not ready for MLS 3.0 is Saputo and his management team. 

The idea of him even mentioning how much Atlanta makes compared to us is hilarious. You're telling me a team that has a brand new billion-dollar downtown stadium and legit young superstars are making more than us? How surprising...

That was a sad end to the season but a brave turn around considering the nightmare of a start, in part to new faces and adjustments however mostly due to the office inability to sign quality players which has always been their weakness. Was worse than 2017 when they made a rush for Dzemaili to make the voyage over early. Let’s hope this winter transfer window they unload some dead wood and sign some better players  

As for yesterday’s game Garde has made some questionable tactical moves and yesterday was no exception. The turning point was taking out Amarikwa for the younger Choiniere. He might have potential but I don’t think bringing in a kid that doesn’t have much experience was a smart move. Also the lack of changes once 0-1 down. That’s when he should’ve put Mancosu despite his poor form you need to win that game and attack. 

Archived