Impact 2018

Blackdude

9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Discussion of the Zlatan incident, the game in general and the Impact. Best moment at 7:20:

Susannah Collins: Might it (the Impact) get worse before it gets better?

Andrew Wiebe: Might it be the same!

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/05/21/zlatan-sent-galaxy-get-much-needed-win-matchday-central?autoplay=true

Interesting that some of them are claiming that Petrasso stepped on Ibrahimovic's foot on purpose - can't say that I see that myself. Some remarkable good precision for Petrasso if he did it on purpose since he never looks behind him or down at his feet before he steps on Zhlatan's foot. I'm more inclined to agree with Caldwell's analysis that Petrasso didn't know too much about it (and then found out about it the hard way).

Anyone come up with a gif of the slap yet?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Interesting that some of them are claiming that Petrasso stepped on Ibrahimovic's foot on purpose - can't say that I see that myself. Some remarkable good precision for Petrasso if he did it on purpose since he never looks behind him or down at his feet before he steps on Zhlatan's foot. I'm more inclined to agree with Caldwell's analysis that Petrasso didn't know too much about it (and then found out about it the hard way).

Anyone come up with a gif of the slap yet?

On MLSSoccer Schmidt made an interesting point (I didn't think of it myself). If Petrasso was the first to make a foul, shouldn't it have been a penalty? I agree that he probably didn't do it on purpose, but since the ref gave him a card in the box, surely a penalty should have followed, no?

Quintero at less than 2M is the kind of player Montreal and Toronto should currently be looking for instead of the Piatti and Giovinco at 4-7M..performing very well up to now with Minnesota, better than Giovinco

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

On MLSSoccer Schmidt made an interesting point (I didn't think of it myself). If Petrasso was the first to make a foul, shouldn't it have been a penalty? I agree that he probably didn't do it on purpose, but since the ref gave him a card in the box, surely a penalty should have followed, no?

Yeah, that's another reason why the yellow card made no sense. But I think Sigi is just trying to deflect things away from the stupidity of his player by criticizing the Ref, I can't imagine that any coach with two brains cells to put together would honestly believe that it was a deliberate stomp which was warranting a PK. It wasn't even a "stomp", but literally a backwards step that accidentally trod on someone's foot.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yeah, that's another reason why the yellow card made no sense. But I think Sigi is just trying to deflect things away from the stupidity of his player by criticizing the Ref, I can't imagine that any coach with two brains cells to put together would honestly believe that it was a deliberate stomp which was warranting a PK. It wasn't even a "stomp", but literally a backwards step that accidentally trod on someone's foot.

Zlatan will slap you in the face for calling him "someone".

I think this incident shows how VAR could become a big mess. Here we have a ref who had the benefit of VAR and didn't apply the LOTG correctly despite having time to make decision. I predict we'll see a major incident at this summer WC involving VAR, xpecially since most refs at the WC didn't have that many games using this tool.

On 5/22/2018 at 4:24 PM, shamrock said:

There's no doubt in my mind this will happen.

And every World Cup we have have seen clear goals that crossed the line not given, remember England Germany a few World Cups ago? Or what about Maradona’s hand of God goal, it would have clearly been called back if they had VAR back then. We are talking soccer here where goals are hard to come by, where a lot of times the team that scores first wins with that one goal. Therefore , you want to make sure that a goal is scored legitimately, that it crossed the line, that it was not offside, that no foul was committed in the build up to that goal, that a red card is warranted so that a team in a game that takes four years to qualify for isn’t decided because some guy dives and condemns a team to playing a man short for the rest of the game. VAR might not be perfect but it’s a lot better than having no chance of reviewing anything . The next thing I would do is do something for all this time waisting in this bloody sport, there should be a running clock on the scoreboard , the clock should stop whenever there is an injury and whenever there are player substitutions or a free kick that needs a wall to be set up and also as soon as a penalty is called time should only resume when it is taken and stopped if the goal is scored until the play is resumed at center and time should stop after every goal is scored until play is resumed at center, like I said the proper time should be displayed on the scoreboard with all the starts and stops, you do this and you will see no more faking of injuries when a team is winning to kill time, no more players taking forever to come of the field when substituted and killing time, even less diving too and we will know the real time left in a game not some bloody made up added time that refs make up each game !!

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

The point is that VAR won't be the final solution for this. Goal-line technology: YES! But there will always be dodge calls with or without VAR. And to me, with VAR makes it all the more frustrating. 

Yes but at least some of the dodge calls will be caught and that is good enough for me one sport that needs VAR is soccer of all the sports just because of how low scoring soccer is and one bad call can decide a game.

On May 22, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Big_M said:

Quintero at less than 2M is the kind of player Montreal and Toronto should currently be looking for instead of the Piatti and Giovinco at 4-7M..performing very well up to now with Minnesota, better than Giovinco

Ummm no. Quintero always starts well at a new club then he fades and his teammates turn on him because he's an idiot. Piatti is much better than Quintero and Giovinco is miles better. He's the 2nd best player in the history of MLS and just was named CCL MVP.. He's only in a slump because 80% of TFC is injured or playing out of position.

There are many problems with the Impact management and the team we have on the pitch. Neither Piatti nor his salary is one of the problems with the team except when the coach insists on playing him out of position in positions where it should have been clear he should not be playing in those position if said coach had bothered to watch game film from previous years (Piatti is the best left winger in MLS not the best jack of all positions in MLS). I also don't understand the lack of confidence in AJH. I watch him every game running hard and doing what he should do positionally in most situations but it seems like every game in which we have 30% possession and he does not get any service nor score that he is blamed for that. Yet we have a DP in Taidar who can't even manage to kick a ball on the ground in front of the net and a high price South American signing in Silva with below USL passing skills except when it comes to passing to the other team but they keep playing. And Edwards and Petrasso can't defend worth shit but are useful in other areas which would be ok if we did not go into the season depending on them to be good defenders. 

The problem with the Impact is an interfering owner and no one on the staff capable of scouting and evaluating players since Klopas left (and Marsh before him who was the previous one with the ability to scout and evaluate players).

12 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The problem with the Impact is an interfering owner and no one on the staff capable of scouting and evaluating players since Klopas left (and Marsh before him who was the previous one with the ability to scout and evaluate players).

Again you hit the nail on the head, interfering owner.  

After last week in which Garde finally more or less got the starting line up right and we got a rare victory, I can't say I am very pleased with tonight's starting lineup at all. Especially with Piatti on the bench which unless it is injury or fatigue related seems like a really stupid move. I hope I am wrong but not very hopeful tonight.

16 hours ago, HochelagaFC said:

No, he lost his starting spot to Chris Duvall.

Petrasso is sliding down the depth chart at RB for the CMNT. One has to think that Cordova who is playing consistently in Chile has supplanted him. That's the luxury of having depth.

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Petrasso is sliding down the depth chart at RB for the CMNT. One has to think that Cordova who is playing consistently in Chile has supplanted him. That's the luxury of having depth.

Maybe but who knows what will have happened by the time we actually play a national team game. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Donadel has been waived by the Impact. I think the Impact fress up an international slot and Cabrera can now be off the disabled list with that. 

I don't believe Donadel's release has anything to do with Cabrera coming off DL. It has more to do with freeing up a spot in order to sign a new player when transfer window opens in July/

Archived