Impact 2018

Blackdude

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Montreal should have been up by 3 or 4 at half time. They really blew a good opportunity to get a road win. A draw should be viewed as disappointing in this context.

Shome did not play well.

Nothing about the TWO major errors of Bush? I know he has been stellar this season, but to attribute the loss of two points to anyone other than him is absurd IMO. 

25 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Nothing about the TWO major errors of Bush? I know he has been stellar this season, but to attribute the loss of two points to anyone other than him is absurd IMO. 

U10 goalkeeping by Bush. Just horrible.

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

He was terrible. He owns the loss. Having a 3 or 4-1 lead at halftime might have rendered his mistakes moot though.

Team looked solid except for the keeper tonight.  If they had banged in a few more chances, the late bloopers would not have mattered.  I am impressed by the composure of the starting 11.  However, as we saw in mid-week, they don't have much depth behind that starting 11.  Still some work to do to bring in some young and emerging talent not named Edwards.

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

Team looked solid except for the keeper tonight.  If they had banged in a few more chances, the late bloopers would not have mattered.  I am impressed by the composure of the starting 11.  However, as we saw in mid-week, they don't have much depth behind that starting 11.  Still some work to do to bring in some young and emerging talent not named Edwards.

Wait was that on Saturday? He impressed me to be fair. The team didn't really do a lot and was hoping that maybe 30 minutes of Piatti+Silva would give them their away goal. 

BTW, Briand isn't coming. Looks like they couldn't agree on a move. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Could I ask: I was really worried when Piatti subbed on and he was very poor, I thought. Was that normal, does he have those nondescript performances?

Sometimes. I mean usually he's the best player on the team, but he can have a few bad games. 

The dirt on why Briand is not coming.

Seems like like Saputo may have screwed up deal, hmm.

Translation of quote.

"The club's vice-president of international relations, Nick De Santis, had already accepted my requests that included the car, housing and education of my children," said Briand. This part was acquired, but in the end, President Joey Saputo intervened and agreed with Guingamp with a transfer fee of 300,000 euros. And it was when I received the contract that I realized that my requests were not registered. "

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/07/29/transfert-rate-vers-limpact-jimmy-briand-raconte-sa-version-des-faits

• 2 weeks later...

Impact also traded Ominic Oduro for Quincy Amarikwa. I think it's mostly two unwanted players getting trade for one another.

I don't know what to make from the Sagna signing. Clearly a bigger name than Briand, but hasn't been great in the past 2 seasons. 

16 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Impact also traded Ominic Oduro for Quincy Amarikwa. I think it's mostly two unwanted players getting trade for one another.

I don't know what to make from the Sagna signing. Clearly a bigger name than Briand, but hasn't been great in the past 2 seasons. 

I thought he was a very serviceable player for Benevento in Serie A last season.

15 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Sagna is 35. Former top target Jimmy Briand is 33.

Why is Impact management so inept? Why always target such old players? Why not build a consistent young core?

i don't understand the Impact.

Saputo is incompetent as a President. Scouting is so important for teams to find the players they need. The Impact don't have scouts and rely on De Santis and Braz to get the job done.  Garde has been able to attract some players but without a scouting system the Impact will remain as they are. 

4 hours ago, mtlfan said:

Saputo is incompetent as a President. Scouting is so important for teams to find the players they need. The Impact don't have scouts and rely on De Santis and Braz to get the job done.  Garde has been able to attract some players but without a scouting system the Impact will remain as they are. 

This article which was on TVA Sports App and not on their website emphasizes your point. 

http://www.tvasports.ca/2018/08/09/impact--une-structure-a-revoir

it basically states that the Impact at MLS level can’t solely rely on two people, Nick De Santis (international signings) and Adam Braz (domestic league), to scout and sign players. That Garde was mainly responsible for getting a deal done but he shouldn’t be depended on when he has to coach the team. 

As much as I love the Sagna 9 game signing we still don’t know what to expect from the 3. His and the other two signings were another last minute patch up deal. Too bad they fell flat on that Jimmy Briand fiasco. His highlights on YouTube were spectacular. 

Archived