General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

8 hours ago, Shakmur said:

You know whats worst than people not properly writing English on this board?

Douchebag closet racists.

Like being latino has anything do do with what's being discussed here. Fuck off and crawl back to your sewers.

Oh ffs. So i'm racist now? Get the fuck out of here. Read what i wrote in response to Sherm. It just happens that alot of teenage latino kids seem to have joined recently and might be mistaken as trolls.

John Herdman and other have said the women's goal is to be number 1 in World and that's realistic goal.  What should be the Men's team goal? 

Top 50 ranking? Winning the Gold Cup ? Getting invite to Copa America ? Qualifying for the World Cup? Making the hex ? 

27 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

John Herdman and other have said the women's goal is to be number 1 in World and that's realistic goal.  What should be the Men's team goal? 

Top 50 ranking? Winning the Gold Cup ? Getting invite to Copa America ? Qualifying for the World Cup? Making the hex ? 

Qualifying for the World Cup

Certainly not getting an invite to Copa America. That's more of a hope than a goal. Unless they announce some sort of way to qualify like the last time, then it could become a goal.

Speaking of hopes, I hope the Hex doesn't exist next cycle, so I guess I would say qualifying for the World Cup. If the hex still exists, then that's goal 1 with goal 2 being the World Cup.

14 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

For me the goals should be this

1. Qualify for World Cup 2022

2. Get to Top 50 in world ranking if  mathematically possible 

3. Get to finals in gold cup 2019

4.  Qualify for the Olympics 2020

Its sad that you think getting a certain world ranking is more of a priority then going to the olympics or finals of a gold cup

5 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Its sad that you think getting a certain world ranking is more of a priority then going to the olympics or finals of a gold cup

No It's not. I want Canadian players to be playing in the biggest leagues in   Europe. look at Arfield is way above any player we have right now, well he's playing against the best every week. 

Edited by SpecialK

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

No It's not. I want Canadian players to be playing in the biggest leagues in   Europe. look at Arfield is way above any player we have right now, well he's playing against the best every week. 

If our players are good enough they will clubs will do anything to get their hands on them. Getting a meaningless world ranking is a pathetic goal. Do you think our world ranking is going to stop Davies from moving next year? 

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

If our players are good enough they will clubs will do anything to get their hands on them. Getting a meaningless world ranking is a pathetic goal. Do you think our world ranking is going to stop Davies from moving next year? 

Davies is cap and so no problem, duels who are not capped are.

Canadian players going into leagues as a Canadian is important, they  could potential feel a stronger connection Canada then they're adopted country, Zohran Bassong is a prime example and there are other players like this. He feels a strong connection to Belgium then Canada because he was going no where here, he's young and talented so he left and now plays for Belgium. 

Edited by SpecialK

35 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Davies is cap and so no problem, duels who are not capped are.

Canadian players going into leagues as a Canadian is important, they  could potential feel a stronger connection Canada then they're adopted country, Zohran Bassong is a prime example and there are other players like this. He feels a strong connection to Belgium then Canada because he was going no where here, he's young and talented so he left and now plays for Belgium. 

And you think Canada having a top 50 ranking will fix that...Shows how little you know

35 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

It will help and top 50 will allow players to get into high levels in Europe without getting another  citizenship. 

90% of our guys already have two citizenships. Also premier league rules don't apply every where in the EU.

Edited by matty

15 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Final score 0-0. Game was played in Honduras. From the match report it appears that Australia should have won the game based on opportunities to score

Confession. I want Honduras to win because it makes CONCACAF looker better than AFC and avenges Australia ending Syria's dream run

24 minutes ago, matty said:

Confession. I want Honduras to win because it makes CONCACAF looker better than AFC and avenges Australia ending Syria's dream run

But you want those dirtbags from Honduras to do that?

15 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

You have cause and effect backwards. We will get into the top 50 because we have good players, not the other way around.

We have good players and if we can keep/stop losing our even better players we would be in great shape. 

If we played 2 games per window and against higher ranked teams  then us in friendlies and have long runs in gold cups, we'll get to the Top 50.

Edited by SpecialK

6 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I think we just need to accept the reality that dual nationals will almost always choose the country that is clearly better, if they are wanted.

Even Arfield would surely have played for Scotland, if called.

Ya your probably right. Canada needs to start being more attractive to those players and slowly we will start gaining those players. 

21 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Yes, that is exactly how I see it. Better player development is a key part of that IMHO.

I worry if things don't change the right way and we just focus on grassroots and player development, we are just going to keep on being a Walmart for other countries. 

Good young players are not going to stay in Canada or North America, the leagues in NA are just not good enough and it's light years away from becoming even close to the top leagues in Europe, so we need our young talented players to go over to Europe to get better and play against the best. The problem is getting them back to play for Canada, to feel Canadian and get them to see Canada as a great choice for them personally and for their  career. 

Edited by SpecialK

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I worry if things don't change the right way and we just focus on grassroots and player development, we are just going to keep on being a Walmart for other countries. 

Good young players are not going to stay in Canada or North America, the leagues in NA are just not good enough and it's light years away from becoming even close to the top leagues in Europe, so we need our young talented players to go over to Europe to get better and play against the best. The problem is getting them back to play for Canada, to feel Canadian and get them to see Canada as a great choice for them personally and for their  career. 

I still don't get this Walmart comparison. Are we actually losing players at a rate anywhere near the speed that warrants that sort of comparison?

Second paragraph ignores that Liga MX is widely seen as a top 10 league world wide but that's unimportant. Yes there has historically been a problem of kids not wanting to play for Canada but as you've admitted that leak has slowed greatly partly thanks to refocusing on home development. The path now mostly isn't go to Europe to develop but get to MLS then get to Europe (if they get there and aren't captied yet then we've failed).

You keep mentioning Top 50 and that rule really only exists for Premier League (and it's going to change again when Brexit happens). Yea there are roster rules outside but they're about Top 50 world rankings and usually relate to how good you are and after that it's about having an EU passport which a lot of talent we have already have access too so either way a top 50 ranking is unimportant here (for example Osorio who has Colombian passport can't go play in France despite Colombia being ranked 13th WW).

There are also good leagues without the need for an EU passport in Europe including Russia, Turkey (where Larin is heading to improve his game) and Ukraine.

Also how does Canada improving soccer wise make them "feel Canadian"?

13 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I think we just need to accept the reality that dual nationals will almost always choose the country that is clearly better, if they are wanted.

Even Arfield would surely have played for Scotland, if called.

This. If Canada had qualified for the 2018 WC, I bet that Ferreira , Eustaquio and Tabla  would be in the fold. It's a real challenge. We need dual nationals to get better, but we need to get better to attract them. It's ironic that for a country that cannot  make the hex, individual Canadian soccer players have played and made it to the highest   levels.. Julian and Jonathan Deguzman, Stalteri, Atiba,  Begovic, and he who must not be named (OH).... and I have left out others. Which means that the talent is there. It just has to be scouted and developed properly. Unfortunately there is no quick fix. The LTPD plan was long overdue  and will be a difference maker providing we have quality and qualified youth coaches. Then  we need the CPL up and running. It's incredible  that we have been able to field a national team without a domestic pro league!