CPL General

47 minutes ago, Xavier said:

It's a play on El Classico.

Al Classique makes no sense in any language whatsoever

Le classique, as if you didn't know what I meant. And the Al is for Alberta, same as Al clasico makes" no sense in any language whatsoever"

Edited by KW519

7 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Le classique, as if you didn't know what I meant. And the Al is for Alberta, same as Al clasico makes" no sense in any language whatsoever"

Al and El sounds very similar, therefore is a pun. A pun is a play on words, hopefully you knew that. 

Classique is a French word, the equivalent of "El" in French is "Le" and replacing "le" with "al does not make a pun.

6 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Al and El sounds very similar, therefore is a pun. A pun is a play on words, hopefully you knew that. 

Classique is a French word, the equivalent of "El" in French is "Le" and replacing "le" with "al does not make a pun.

Wasn't aware they were trying to make it a pun, thought they were just being a follow batty and legit call it Alberta Clasico. Regardless, still don't like it and some originality is needed imo. 

The name Al Classico started as a joke by one of the supporters (with one s), then began to be used more widely among the supporters (with one and 2 s'), then the clubs picked it up and ran with it (with 2 s'). The two groups enjoy it, the two clubs enojy it, and quite frankly no one else's opinions matter on it.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

The name Al Classico started as a joke by one of the supporters (with one s), then began to be used more widely among the supporters (with one and 2 s'), then the clubs picked it up and ran with it (with 2 s'). The two groups enjoy it, the two clubs enojy it, and quite frankly no one else's opinions matter on it.

Fair enough.

Just wish that something more Albertan to call that derby.

Don't rob me of my pleasure of making fun of MLS ripping off Euro names (Real, United, City, Inter...when's Athletic?)

Just kidding, we got our own league, that's what matters

So tomorrow is The State of the League by Commisioner David Clanachan will cover these following topics:

• Kit deal
• The Ottawa Fury’s decision to remain in the USL
• An update on expansion interest
• Roster rules
• Player acquisition
• Media rights

What are your guy’s predictions?

1) I’d expect and prefer it to be Umbro but could be Macron and Inaria

2) In terms of media rights I expect a stream deal struck with DAZN - All games available and one game a week on CBC or something like that 

3) Roster Rules, we know about the 6/11 rule having majority of players on field at any time, I hope it’s 17/18 ? Of 25 total implying seven-eight Internationals

4) Player Aquasition, In an interview with TSN Radio it was said that they wanted to put the best product on the field and that for the first year they’re would ve a draft. I think this will go through and everything else for negotiations, Home territory, up and coming and Foundation will be news

5) Expansion - They will have talk about an 8th team and to balance the schedule, I’m confident it will happen. Very unlikely to start with 7.

6) Brief Statement on the Ottawa Fury Situation and move on quickly from it 

Can’t wait to hear what will be announced 

Al Classico is fine.

@Blackjack15

-Agree on kit thing. Hope it's Umbro but think it'll be one of those two.
-6/11 CanCon but don't expect 17/25. Expect 10 non-Canadians
-I'm guessing they're doing Twitch for year one or this OZ thing (I think they struck out here. Maybe they got CHCH and CHEK to do local stuff).
-50/50 on team 8
-Expect they announce a multiple drafts one of D3 talent and one of CIS talent
-Hope the statement on Ottawa is brief but expect it to be somewhat stern and serious but one that leaves the door open (if they mention Ottawa by name ugh)

Edited by matty

42 minutes ago, matty said:

Al Classico is fine.

@Blackjack15

-Agree on kit thing. Hope it's Umbro but think it'll be one of those two.
-6/11 CanCon but don't expect 17/25. Expect 10 non-Canadians
-I'm guessing they're doing Twitch for year one or this OZ thing (I think they struck out here. Maybe they got CHCH and CHEK to do local stuff).
-50/50 on team 8
-Expect they announce a multiple drafts one of D3 talent and one of CIS talent
-Hope the statement on Ottawa is brief but expect it to be somewhat stern and serious but one that leaves the door open (if they mention Ottawa by name ugh)

Really? Twitch? Haha

Kit deal: I would prefer Inaria, but all signs point to Macron
• The Ottawa Fury’s decision: conciliatory platitudes 
• An update on expansion interest: Vague comments about making headway towards an 8th expansion club (but really really hoping, however unlikely, that they announce the 8th franchise ... I was doubly annoyed regarding the Ottawa decision since it means the release of my CanPL football manager mod is put on hold)
• Roster rules: 6 Canadian starters, 2 U21 starters, max of 10 non-Canadians on the roster
• Player acquisition: Drafts based on those previously released categories and regional rights
• Media rights: DAZN

5 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Really? Twitch? Haha

Yea it seems odd but it's a big platform and widely accessible (have an Amazon Prime account? Then you have Twitch Prime) that a lot of big organizations are getting into or experimenting with it including the NBA, NFL, Eleven Sports, Impact Wrestling. The league has talked about embracing new tech and Twitch is easily one of the biggest in the live streaming world (I think they have like 20 million active users). It might not be fancy but it could provide fans easy access and a great way to engage with the sport and might tickle the fancy of a soccer fans on the platform who are just browsing for something to watch.

It looks better than streaming on YouTube, is easily more accessible than DAZN and has a high degree of viewer engagement. I think it very well could be the route they go (not as like a rando Twitch channel but as some kind of Twitch partner)

Edited by matty

15 minutes ago, shermanator said:

So according to Duane Rollins, Julian de Guzman is the driving force behind the Fury not joining CPL, and is actively encouraging players not to sign with the CPL. This is from his latest podcast. Says he's heard this from 7-8 people.

As usual, take with a grain of salt..

What the heck?! Actively encouraging players not to join is just wrong. Why would he say something like that unless there is some other animosity that has not been made public yet?

21 minutes ago, Initial B said:

What the heck?! Actively encouraging players not to join is just wrong. Why would he say something like that unless there is some other animosity that has not been made public yet?

Why does it feel like the state of the league press conference isn't happening today (given no updates about it with the clock ticking). If this is all we learn of today, it'd be very depressing.

11 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Why does it feel like the state of the league press conference isn't happening today (given no updates about it with the clock ticking). If this is all we learn of today, it'd be very depressing.

Plus Larson released an unrelated interview with Ante Jazic today. Why release that today only to bury it hours later? I'm guessing this article is filling the gap left behind by missing out on the Clanachan one.

http://canpl.ca/video/all-the-way-from-arkansas-haligonian-ante-jazic-on-all-things-canadian-premier-league

500k could be for the players alone, while 750k could be players, plus coaching staff and GM, so those numbers don't necessarily conflict, since there are known to be two different caps and not just one for the players. As for JDG, he's just the hired help. It's the owners of OSEG who ultimately made the decision and once they did so (at least three months ago, if you believe the dude on reddit is legit) JDG would have to talk up USL relative to CanPL or he wouldn't be doing his job properly.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

From the article above: " We were prepared to accommodate them, specifically around details like players, soccer operations and player salaries. We had actually offered to have them operate under the exact same circumstances as they are now."

Guess that means the rumours about salary caps and destroying their roster were off -base

Edited by ted

We’ve had interest from Ottawa from multiple parties, which is very important to us. We believe that the nation’s capital is a great place for a club, so we’ll be looking at that as well.”

Told you so!!! 

and 

https://the11.ca/my-league-is-better-than-your-league-sing-it-fury-vs-canpl-and-what-comes-next/

Basically, the warning is this. You can either let it go or escalate the situation, where the collateral damage will hurt Canadian soccer as a whole.

That’s not to say the CanPL doesn’t have its own course. It’s no longer morally obligated to hold a spot for the Fury. If someone else from the nation’s capital comes forward, the CanPL can listen.

As well, the current owners of the existing seven member CanPL teams are the ones who make the rules. They didn’t have to pay huge fees to join the league because they’re the ones founding the league. But, well, in the future, if OSEG comes back to the table, the existing CanPL owners can say, “well, you’re an expansion team, now, and with that comes expansion fees.” And any money the Fury might save on USL exit fees or whatnot could very well be swallowed up by an entry fee to enter the CanPL.

So, basically, if you’re angry about what the Fury has done this past week, remember the most important thing Star Trek has ever taught us: Revenge is a dish best served cold. The time will come down the road when the Fury and CanPL will likely be back at the table.

Edited by Ansem

http://canpl.ca/article/state-of-the-league-clanachan-on-ottawa-fury-cpl-roster-rules-and-more

...St. John’s, Newfoundland, Moncton, New Brunswick, Montreal/Laval and Quebec City in Quebec, as well as the ‘Grand River’ region of Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, the Niagara Region, Durham Region – encompassing Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax and Pickering – as well as Mississauga...

No Saskatoon and Fraser Valley? Probably just talking about teams in the east for some reason I guess. Durham and Niagara Regions is new info as far as I am aware and as I suspected no London or Windsor.

“From a salary and soccer operations budget, we’re north of seven figures.

If "soccer operations budget" is required to get into seven figures then the $500k thing is probably for real. Note that's salary rather than player salary.

Overall what I get from that is that they were counting on Ottawa to get to 8, are unlikely to be able to find a replacement in time for the launch and are really quite bitter about the whole thing given the "We’ve had interest from Ottawa from multiple parties, which is very important to us. We believe that the nation’s capital is a great place for a club, so we’ll be looking at that as well." bit is about as subtle as a sledgehammer in veiled threat terms.