CPL General

21 hours ago, matty said:

Just wanted to note something cause this is kind of key I think. Hamilton and Victoria are NOT considered independent of either Toronto or Vancouver when it comes to media so a great deal (at least in Hamilton's case) of TV and radio is shared with Toronto and therefore TFC.

Yeah, Victoria is at best semi-independent. We have some local media for "news" but most of our sports coverage comes out of Seattle and Vancouver.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Interesting things are happening behind the scenes apparently:

Richard, you're not the only one. I've already admitted myself to Alcoholics Anonymous due to this particular situation. I've been drinking every day waiting for the announcement that will probably come by the time I hit 80. Drug abuse was just around the corner for me. I can't take this pain anymore. They're going to put me in a straitjacket soon.

Edited by PJSweet

All that can reasonably be deduced at the moment is that there was optimism in the Vancouver area heading into this meeting which is where there has also been the most recent visible activity on trademarks and on securing a stadium deal with a municipality (while in contrast GTA cheerleaders like Rollins and Totera were keeping quiet as far as I am aware), and that something happened related to one or more of the other cities to slow things down. Presumably they already knew about FC Edmonton folding and Tom Fath`s vocal skepticism about sustainability heading in so it was probably something in addition to or in response to that, which halted the anticipated imminent announcement.

Edit: also Hamilton on the optimism given the Scott Mitchell stay tuned tweet.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I have never understood why there isn`t pro level football beneath the NFL in the United States anyway, obviously we have the CFL in Canada for that sort of thing. But if the Ticats can thrive in the shadow cast by the Bills, surely the same could be done in a lot of smaller American cities?

Guess it`s the popularity of high school and college football to a certain extent, but there`s a void to be filled there by someone if they ever figure out how to do it in a way that makes money. Think the key is to keep investor egos in check and stick to a spring/summer season format and not try to compete with the NFL and to do what the USFL were doing before Donald Trump ruined it all by trying to take on the NFL head-to-head.

The parallel with CanPL in all of that is that the insistence on the D1 angle and unwillingness to do a deal over how to involve fringe Canadian MLS players suggests a similar craving to compete with MLS head-to-head rather than being content to carve out their own niche with the smaller markets that are readily available and in many cases wide open for a summer season pro level sports team as an entertainment option.

As for the latest delay what could be infuriating and amazing for it not to have leaked so far? Don`t think issues at the municipal level on stadium approvals fit the bill. My pure speculation as opposed to disinformation on this would be that the CSA are the issue and it could be procedural in terms of having to wait for May`s AGM again to get further approvals from them.

For example, that would normally be the next opportunity for additional franchises to be accepted into CSA membership and they may want to be the ones being seen to do that in media terms rather than leaving it to the Ticats and Blue Bombers. Note again that`s speculation and I claim no special insight or knowledge on this beyond what a fan of domestic Canadian pro soccer who has followed this stuff closely for the last 30 years can be expected to have.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

7 hours ago, matty said:

So, to bug the shit out of @dyslexic nam and mayb @Rheo (I can't remember but I think it bugged Rheo), what league will play a game first?: The CPL or Vince McMahon's second attempt at a pro football league. Seriously he's trademarked United Football League.

In the time we've been talking about the CPL, and pro rugby league formed, played a season, folded, and a new one sprung up to take its place and is set to kick off in March or April next year.

I know these things take time, but the pace of the CPL has been nothing short of glacial.

BOB...there are about 4 crappy indoor/arena semi pro leagues scattered across the USA.  But lets not kid ourselves, the NCAA is basically like the regional leagues in Germany (4th div) or Spain etc.  Just think of them as unoffical affiliate U-22 teams, focused on winning and not real development of talent.  Although talent does get developed somehow even with the emphasis on winning.  And the high school football factories are the academies of europe/South america, just with no official ties to the Div-1 NFL teams.  And they do this all without transfer fees going back down to the NCAA/High school teams or any wages going to the players.  The NFL just sits there and waits for the cream to rise and distributes them among the 32 Div-1 teams.  

8 hours ago, matty said:

So, to bug the shit out of @dyslexic nam and mayb @Rheo (I can't remember but I think it bugged Rheo), what league will play a game first?: The CPL or Vince McMahon's second attempt at a pro football league. Seriously he's trademarked United Football League.

You're walking a fine line between lol and mute...

51 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

BOB...there are about 4 crappy indoor/arena semi pro leagues scattered across the USA.  But lets not kid ourselves, the NCAA is basically like the regional leagues in Germany (4th div) or Spain etc.  Just think of them as unoffical affiliate U-22 teams, focused on winning and not real development of talent.  Although talent does get developed somehow even with the emphasis on winning.  And the high school football factories are the academies of europe/South america, just with no official ties to the Div-1 NFL teams.  And they do this all without transfer fees going back down to the NCAA/High school teams or any wages going to the players.  The NFL just sits there and waits for the cream to rise and distributes them among the 32 Div-1 teams.  

Grid iron football is a different kind of game that's 100% based on following instructions so emphasizing winning while developing talent goes hand in hand unlike our favourite sport. The only thing the higher ups need to watch for is making sure that youth league make up is divided by height and weight rather than age so things don't get out of whack with some kids having earlier growth spurts. I know Brampton implemented that system in the late 90s because prior to that it wasn't uncommon to see 5 foot 12 year olds  going up against 13 years olds that were sometimes over 6 feet. It was fucking horrific and it drove a lot of kids from the game.

Edited by Macksam

I see what you are getting at, but its the same for football.  We moan at hoofball youth teams centered on exploiting big athletic forwards etc and not teaching a passing (technically strong) skill set.  While football teams can use all running offenses etc that dont develop the QB, receivers or teach O-line to pass block or visa versa with a all passing offense.  If coaches just care about winning not all the proper skills are taught to the kids, whether plays are scripted or not.  

3 hours ago, grande said:

In the time we've been talking about the CPL, and pro rugby league formed, played a season, folded, and a new one sprung up to take its place and is set to kick off in March or April next year.

I know these things take time, but the pace of the CPL has been nothing short of glacial.

In all fairness MLR has been in the works for a while now. But get your point. Really hoping the Ontario Arrow join the league next year, as they seem to be headed towards this... and it's badly needed. Canadian men's 15s rugby is in a worse place than Canadian men's soccer right now. Never thought that would ever be the case. Long story short, and bringing this back to soccer, we're in really bad need of domestic professionalism in both sports.  

10 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I have never understood why there isn`t pro level football beneath the NFL in the United States anyway...

Guess it`s the popularity of high school and college football to a certain extent

Nope, it's not, "to a certain extent" it is ENTIRELY thanks to college football. The NCAA is a pro league earning it's own fantastic sums on the back of players they get away with not paying thanks to the system they have created. This lets the NFL off the hook for any development costs.

3 hours ago, ted said:

Nope, it's not, "to a certain extent" it is ENTIRELY thanks to college football. The NCAA is a pro league earning it's own fantastic sums on the back of players they get away with not paying thanks to the system they have created. This lets the NFL off the hook for any development costs.

I think it's MOSTLY why there isn't a second true pro league but I do think there's room for a second short season league. Like an April/May league in secondary markets.

Xfl by most accounts could have served such a purpose had it not basically tried to be wwe and hated on the nfl. It did do well attendance wise.

Vince has said if he did the xfl again he would try to work with the nfl so maybe he's looking to be such a league.