CPL General

14 hours ago, Futballer said:

Got your drift but lets stop comparing Apples and Oranges they may all be Fruits of course but they  have different markets.  The Soccer Market place is an outdoor Arena while  Basketball is an Indoor Arena which is sold at different times same goes for Hockey  versus  Soccer comparison.  

Yeah, I heard ya!!!! 

If someone could give a quick sentence on the status of each team / city without having to read through 100 pages, what would you say?

Hamilton - confirmed?

Winnipeg - confirmed?

FC Edmonton - folded so no chance, or folded waiting on CPL?

Calgary - waiting on big announcement?

Halifax - wasn't this supposed to be 100% confirmed?

Regina - what's the story there?

are there any other cities I am missing? And start date 2019 hopefully, worst case 2020?

Confirmed: Hamilton, Winnipeg

working on stadium deals but not sorted out yet: Halifax (approved in principle with amendments), Saskatoon, Surrey

reported to be interested but nothing visible so far on stadiums: K/W

press release that they are monitoring what is happening but no decision to join yet: Ottawa

just folded but left the door slightly ajar: Edmonton

possible leak online pointing to a team being in the works: Calgary

recent newspaper stories about possible interest: St John's

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

We all can’t wait for it to happen no doubt. 

I think TFC getting to the finals these past two years and winning it this time around should boost interest from all stakeholders with regards to replicating that in their respective cities. The owners in Hamilton and Winnipeg definitely see the potential, and Saturday probably reaffirmed it. 

Edited by Macksam

4 minutes ago, Rheo said:

“We are not prepared to go from one situation where it wasn’t going to work, to another situation where it’s not going to work,” Fath said.

Fath has interest, but based on this I don't think FCE will be a founding team. He'll wait and see how the CPL plays out.

I read the article. Now if you read in between the lines, I get this gut feeling that Fath is using this whole situation as a leverage for negotiation. It seems that he's forcing the CPL to give him certain concessions. These concessions are as followed:

1. TV deal
  2. Marketing
  3. corporate sponsorship.

If you can not give me any of these concessions, you could forget that Edmonton will ever play in the CPL. All you have to do is to give me what I want. This is the reason why he keeps going to the CPL meetings. Please, I need suggestions. Try to prove me wrong. I won't get mad. Even Kartik Krishnaiyer (U.S. NASL podcaster) said the same thing to me. He believes that Edmonton is NOT dead yet.

Edited by Pat Carrasco

Just now, Pat Carrasco said:

I read the article. Now if you read in between the lines, I get this gut feeling that Fath is using this whole situation as a leverage for negotiation. It seems that he's forcing the CPL to give him certain concessions. These concessions are as follow:

1. TV deal
  2. Marketing
  3. corporate sponsorship.

If you can not give me any of these concessions, you could forget that Edmonton will play in the CPL. This is the reason why he keeps going to the CPL meetings. Please, I need suggestions. Try to prove me wrong. I won't get mad.

Not possible. None of that is in the article and your just speculating so how could anyone prove you wrong. You claims are about as accurate as the following;

I read the article. Now if you read in between the lines, I get this gut feeling that Fath is using this whole situation as a leverage for negotiation. It seems that he's forcing the CPL to give him certain concessions. These concessions are as follow:

1. A big shiny truck
  2. All the candy in the world
  3. three more wishes.

If you can not give me any of these concessions, you could forget that Edmonton will play in the CPL. This is the reason why he keeps going to the CPL meetings.

9 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Not possible. None of that is in the article and your just speculating so how could anyone prove you wrong. You claims are about as accurate as the following;

I read the article. Now if you read in between the lines, I get this gut feeling that Fath is using this whole situation as a leverage for negotiation. It seems that he's forcing the CPL to give him certain concessions. These concessions are as follow:

1. A big shiny truck
  3. three more wishes.

If you can not give me any of these concessions, you could forget that Edmonton will play in the CPL. This is the reason why he keeps going to the CPL meetings.

BuzzAndSting, get real. Do you think he's going to these meetings to look good. I don't think so. He's going there because he's seeking for his personal agenda. If the CPL does not cave-in into his demands, he's out. Plain and simple.

Edited by Pat Carrasco

Just now, Pat Carrasco said:

BuzzAndSting, get real. Do you think he's going to these meetings to look good. I don't think so. He's going there because he's seeking for his personal agenda. 

Of course he is, I'm not disputing that. What I am disputing is your wild speculation that Fath is going to try and shakedown the CPL for three concessions.

5 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Of course he is, I'm not disputing that. What I am disputing is your wild speculation that Fath is going to try and shakedown the CPL for three concessions.

If fact, these concessions are his blood life of his business. Are you forgetting that the NASL has left him in huge losses. Even Kartik Krishnaiyer (U.S. NASL podcaster) said the same thing to me. This is all about these 3 concessions:  TV deal, Marketing, and Corporate sponsorship.

Edited by Pat Carrasco

5 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

If fact, these concessions are his blood life of his business. Are you forgetting that the NASL has left him in huge losses.

Fath has stated that the demise of FCE was not the lack of a TV deal or marketing, it was a lack of ticket sales and corporate sponsorship so I would say those are the life blood of his business. 

And again, you have no proof he's trying to shakedown the CPL. I imagine he knows what he needs for FCE to be a success in Edmonton and if that can be provided by joining the CPL he'll pursue it. Fath doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who guys in demanding things. If you know any different feel free to state it here otherwise this is just a waste of time. 

Edited by BuzzAndSting

15 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

1. A big shiny truck
  3. three more wishes.

I spoke to Kartik Krishnaiyer (U.S. NASL podcaster) and he said Fath asked for a matte truck.

3 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Fath has stated that the demise of FCE was not the lack of a TV deal or marketing, it was a lack of ticket sales and corporate sponsorship so I would say those are the life blood of his business. 

And again, you have no proof he's trying to shakedown the CPL. I imagine he knows what he needs for FCE to be a success in Edmonton and if that can be provided by joining the CPL he'll pursue it. Fath doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who guys in demanding things. If you know any different feel free to state it here otherwise this is just a waste of time. 

Well, he needs marketing to promote ticket sales. The TV deal is all part of this package.

13 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Based on what?

Well based on how the single entity will work in his favor. I do recall that back in 1996 when MLS got going, they had this system whereby the league will help you fund the marketing side for each individual team. Let me get that old document. It's somewhere around my old antique files. What was it call? Let me get back to you on that matter. I remember that Doug Logan once talked about it on an ESPN interview that dates back over 18-19 years ago.

Edited by Pat Carrasco

4 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Well based on how the single entity will work in his favor. I do recall that back in 1996 when MLS got going, they had this system whereby the league will help you fund the marketing side for each individual teams. Let me get that old document. It's somewhere around my old antique files. What was it call? Let me get back to you on that matter. I remember that Doug Logan once talked about it on an ESPN interview that dates back over 18-19 years ago.

No, I meant what are you basing all of your speculation on?

1 minute ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Well based on how the single entity will work in his favor. I do recall that back in 1996 when MLS got going, they had this system whereby the league will help you fund the marketing side for each individual teams. Let me get that old document. It's somewhere around my old antique files. What was it call? Let me get back to you on that matter. I remember that Doug Logan once talked about it on an ESPN interview that dates back over 18 years ago.

No need to get a video pat you want Doug Logan in person ,  he is just a phone call away .  Let me know when you want that interview, we can set it up in a minute.

10 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Based on what?

His statement was not ridiculous. Having TV and a strong marketing wing would help with securing corporate sponsorships and boost possible ticket sales. I don't think he's holding the CPL up but it' possible he wants to see a plan that involves things like a Canadian SUM and a plan to get onto TV.

3 minutes ago, matty said:

His statement was not ridiculous. Having TV and a strong marketing wing would help with securing corporate sponsorships and boost possible ticket sales. I don't think he's holding the CPL up but it' possible he wants to see a plan that involves things like a Canadian SUM and a plan to get onto TV.

I totally agree, what I don't agree with is @Pat Carrasco's claim that Fath is "forcing the CPL to give him certain concessions."