CPL General

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

Agreed. As far as I can tell from the view counts on the "rumour roundup" articles, there's really only a couple thousand people paying much attention at this point. Even CPL's twitter is only at ~4500 followers. People who are concerned the league is losing credibility should ask themselves who they are losing credibility to...a small and probably inconsequential number of diehards who will mostly jump right back onto the hype wagon with a real announcement. Maybe some journalists? 

There's no good reason to announce anytime earlier than the optimum point. Only reason I see it coming earlier than the world cup is if they are worried about getting drowned out and use a quiet newscycle sometime in the news year to garner attention, if they are ready. 

Exactly. Drawing casuals and none fans will make or break this league, not the few die hard like us arguing back and forth. They already won us over.

There's nothing illogical with the way they've done business so far. Starting a league from scratch is unbelievably complex from a legal point of view and dealing with politics at municipal level. Skepticism is fine, but some of the nitpicking by some people who knows nothing about starting a league and the legal side of it is really getting old.

It's the holidays, let's keep it positive. Already dreaming of the V Cup with 8 CPL teams.

8 CPL + 3 MLS + 1 USL + 2 D3 teams (PLSQ & L1O) = 14 teams.

Inviting and rewarding the finalists of PLSQ and L1O would bring the tournament to 16 teams. Hoping it will be a random draw tournament:)

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Agreed. As far as I can tell from the view counts on the "rumour roundup" articles, there's really only a couple thousand people paying much attention at this point. Even CPL's twitter is only at ~4500 followers. People who are concerned the league is losing credibility should ask themselves who they are losing credibility to...a small and probably inconsequential number of diehards who will mostly jump right back onto the hype wagon with a real announcement. Maybe some journalists? 

There's no good reason to announce anytime earlier than the optimum point. Only reason I see it coming earlier than the world cup is if they are worried about getting drowned out and use a quiet newscycle sometime in the news year to garner attention, if they are ready. 

Not just some journalist but MSM. asking legit media to cover developments when you keep failing to deliver big ones could cost you coverage.

19 minutes ago, matty said:

Not just some journalist but MSM. asking legit media to cover developments when you keep failing to deliver big ones could cost you coverage.

Have they asked anyone to cover it? 

My takeaway from the Kurt Larson/Duane Rollins interview was that they are or were previously avoiding mainstream coverage

18 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Have they asked anyone to cover it? 

My takeaway from the Kurt Larson/Duane Rollins interview was that they are or were previously avoiding mainstream coverage

If they're trying to avoid mainstream coverage they're doing a shit job with all the pb hamilton spectator fluff pieces.

46 minutes ago, matty said:

Yea and they did a photo op

Not meaning to be argumentative, but if a MSM journalist is really knocking at the door and the most they get is a photo-op and the introduction of staff members, I think that actually demonstrates the extent of coverage they are seeking at the moment pretty well. If they wanted a bigger footprint out of that article, they could have gotten it. Especially considering one of their hires is the former Director of Communications at TSN

^None of that is intended to reflect poorly on Milton, he's done a great job following this story, and I'm impressed by his interest coming from someone who doesn't consider himself a soccer guy

Edited by Complete Homer

35 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Not meaning to be argumentative, but if a MSM journalist is really knocking at the door and the most they get is a photo-op and the introduction of staff members, I think that actually demonstrates the extent of coverage they are seeking at the moment pretty well. If they wanted a bigger footprint out of that article, they could have gotten it. Especially considering one of their hires is the former Director of Communications at TSN

^None of that is intended to reflect poorly on Milton, he's done a great job following this story, and I'm impressed by his interest coming from someone who doesn't consider himself a soccer guy

Dude I'm saying the CPL, while very private, is quite media friendly and the media currently is willing to give them rather decent coverage despite how limited the info is. The issue lies in what happens when editors decide they're tired of dedicating 7-12 inches of ink to something that really isn't producing anything of actual interest and sports writer stop covering developments for 6+ months or when news in crammed into a blurb in the bottom right-hand corner? Hype dies. While I'm sure they could get better coverage if they wanted it but not having journalists following you freely really would be a negative.

I'm sure when they're ready to announce year one they'll have coverage but I'd rather have Milton and Larson covering it and giving it the needed 12+ inches rather than some intern doing a quick 500 word write up.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...or people were simply going to the meetings to hear the sales pitch, and never did anything that constitited a formal application for a franchise. Compare and contrast with NISA where eight named cities have already had formal bids accepted, rejected or sent back for further work with another twenty cities said to still be in active discussions. It's not easy to put something like this together, so if the ratio of ready to actually bid on the one hand to in discussions on the other were similar, there would be about three actually ready to rumble in another year or so with CanPL (e.g. Hamilton, Winnipeg and Halifax).

What would make the Edmonton thing so problematic is if the likes of Saskatoon, K/W and Surrey need to see something up and running successfully first to be able/willing to move beyond the discussions stage and proceed with a formal application linked to an expensive stadium build. If the Ottawa Fury are also not fully on board, there still wouldn't be anything to announce by this stage in terms of a projected launch date because there would be no clear pathway even to a soft launch with six given how few viable suitably sized stadia are available with unmarked fielturf from coast to coast that would be ready to use as is. Life was a lot easier in the original CSL era when most university stadiums had grass fields and were under-utilized for most of the year.

What would be your guess on the reason Ottawa was not fully on board yet? I thought they would have been announced just after Hamilton and Winnipeg.

5 minutes ago, Prune_55 said:

What would be your guess on the reason Ottawa was not fully on board yet? I thought they would have been announced just after Hamilton and Winnipeg.

They issued a press release a few weeks ago when they started selling USL 2018 season tickets saying that they were following what was happening closely and were waiting to see what unfolds over the next few months to see what CanPL is all about before deciding whether they want to join. From their standpoint why leave a league that is stable and likely to grow in franchise value terms in the years ahead for a risky looking startup venture unless you are confident it is actually going to work?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They issued a press release a few weeks ago when they started selling USL 2018 season tickets saying that they were following what was happening closely and were waiting to see what unfolds over the next few months to see what CanPL is all about before deciding whether they want to join. From their standpoint why leave a league that is stable and likely to grow in franchise value terms in the years ahead for a risky looking startup venture unless you are confident it is actually going to work?

Cheers. That makes sense. I was under the impression when they left NASL they informally told the CPL they were in year one. Which I guess they still can be.

Since we're all bickering, let's change our tune and play fantasy: who do you want on a CPL broadcasting team (calling the games, hosting segments and on colour commentary) and what format do you imagine we'll see for let's say a game of the week sort of thing?

Edited by matty

More news (aka I'm working and spending time on here lol)

https://www.yorkregion.com/sports-story/8030067-former-tfc-captain-jimmy-brennan-steps-down-as-aurora-fc-executive-director/

Key points

• Jimmy Brennan is stepping away from soccer in Aurora.  The former professional player in England and first-ever captain for Toronto FC said last week he is resigning his post as Aurora FC executive director to pursue an option in a soon-to-be-announced Canadian professional league.  His resignation is effective Jan. 1.

• It is anticipated the Canadian Premier League is slated to launch for the 2019 season and Brennan is expected to be involved with a York Region-based entry in the 10-team league.

50 minutes ago, Rheo said:

https://www.yorkregion.com/sports-story/8030067-former-tfc-captain-jimmy-brennan-steps-down-as-aurora-fc-executive-director/

Key points

• Jimmy Brennan is stepping away from soccer in Aurora.  The former professional player in England and first-ever captain for Toronto FC said last week he is resigning his post as Aurora FC executive director to pursue an option in a soon-to-be-announced Canadian professional league.  His resignation is effective Jan. 1.

• It is anticipated the Canadian Premier League is slated to launch for the 2019 season and Brennan is expected to be involved with a York Region-based entry in the 10-team league.

Wow, pretty big deal. I'd be surprised if it was supposed to come out this way, curious to see what comes of it

Dream scenario: Frank Stronach/Magna International are based out of York Region, and Stronach has tried to get soccer development in the area before. I'd love to see him behind this. If he has any undeveloped land it might also be a plausible way for this to stay off the radar

Edited by Complete Homer

40 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Key points

So weird for info to come out like this.  The author just throws out details like "York Region-based entry" and "10-team league" by way of explanation but the major story is Brennan's resignation.  It's like there is no information from people involved with CPL if you ask them a direct question.  However, if you ask them indirectly, like "Why is Brennan resigning?", it all comes out. :)

Finally something fun to talk about.

Where would they play from as early as 2019?

If building a modular stadium is in the plans, hoping is either near the new TTC stations at Vaughan Centre or next to Highway 407 station. There's a lot of land there.

If it's truly 10 teams, it works out perfectly 

10 CPL, 3 MLS, 1 USL, 1 L1O, 1 PLSQ

16 teams...boys and girls...looks like we got ourselves a tournament!

Edited by Ansem

16 minutes ago, ray said:

So weird for info to come out like this.  The author just throws out details like "York Region-based entry" and "10-team league" by way of explanation but the major story is Brennan's resignation.  It's like there is no information from people involved with CPL if you ask them a direct question.  However, if you ask them indirectly, like "Why is Brennan resigning?", it all comes out. :)

Suspect the info came second hand from Jim Brennan by way of the soccer club in Aurora rather than from the league HQ. If they had a York Region team lined up for the OSA Soccer Centre Tom Fath may well have been the only stumbling block on a 2018 soft launch depending how difficult it would be to resolve the Hamilton lease issue.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Key points

Oh shit. I just quit my job and now I need to buy season tickets lol.

Not surprised if Jim turns out to be a debut season head coach.

Fingers crossed this is a Toronto team in 2019

42 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Wow, pretty big deal. I'd be surprised if it was supposed to come out this way, curious to see what comes of it

Dream scenario: Frank Stronach/Magna International are based out of York Region, and Stronach has tried to get soccer development in the area before. I'd love to see him behind this. If he has any undeveloped land it might also be a plausible way for this to stay off the radar

The GTA options are all pretty cool but I'm not expecting anyone we've guessed here. 

58 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That would pretty much have to be at the OSA's Soccer Centre. Not surprised that's part of the mix to reach the numbers needed for a soft launch given how few viable options are available coast to coast.

Fully agree. Only issue is you would need to add 2k~ seats (which could be awkward) and concessions but could be done quickly and not cost a lot I'm sure.

It would also add THE media market in Canada, so could boost any sponsorship deals they snag.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

The GTA options are all pretty cool but I'm not expecting anyone we've guessed here. 

For sure, Stronach is just my "dream scenario" pick...though with the news that it is specifically York I think it's at least plausible. But you're right, most likely someone we haven't heard of before, like the rest of the owners

Edited by Complete Homer

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

With the allusions to stadium standards we've seen, in combination with with the sort of temporary venue we're looking at in Saskatchewan, my bet would be York U

Easy access since the opening of both York University and Pionner Village stations until they build their own in Vaughan 

Just now, Complete Homer said:

For sure, Stronach is just my "dream scenario" pick...though with the news that it is specifically York I think it's at least plausible

I feel like York is more about convenience than owner link so while palusible still feels unlikely.

Also gonna agree with BBTB here and say it'll be OSC and not York Stadium. It would be easier to run a team out of there I feel when it comes to paperwork and being able to work out of.

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Easy access since the opening of both York University and Pionner Village stations until they build their own in Vaughan 

Yep, though I don't know how open the university to a tenant. 

I'm doubtful of OSA purely because I imagine basic requirements of wouldn't be met by port-o-potties, etc.

Edited by Complete Homer