CPL General

19 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Fath has stated that the demise of FCE was not the lack of a TV deal or marketing, it was a lack of ticket sales and corporate sponsorship so I would say those are the life blood of his business. 

And again, you have no proof he's trying to shakedown the CPL. I imagine he knows what he needs for FCE to be a success in Edmonton and if that can be provided by joining the CPL he'll pursue it. Fath doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who guys in demanding things. If you know any different feel free to state it here otherwise this is just a waste of time. 

Buzz  Sting  FC Edmonton  is gone, sad  to say  i think we just lost another  one of  Canadian soccer contributors due to our  beyond slow approach  in pushing this league forward in time to catch the fall of Edmonton FC. If the CPL had  it`s targeted date set he would have, made the move. 

Just now, Futballer said:

Buzz  Sting  FC Edmonton  is gone, sad  to say  i think we just lost another  one of  Canadian soccer contributors due to our  beyond slow approach  in pushing this league forward in time to catch the fall of Edmonton FC. If the CPL had  it`s targeted date set he would have, made the move. 

Why do you think he's continuing to attend CPL meetings then?

11 minutes ago, matty said:

...Having TV and a strong marketing wing would help with securing corporate sponsorships and boost possible ticket sales...

For this reason, he will not play in the CPL if the league does not come out and help him with these concessions. These concessions are his blood line to his business. CPL needs Edmonton and Edmonton needs the CPL right now.  :)

Edited by Pat Carrasco

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Why do you think he's continuing to attend CPL meetings then?

Several years ago Ottawa and FC Edmonton stated to me that they would not join  the CPL until it`s a proven Success on Field.  They need to see other markets been successfully  promoted.

He is attending  the meetings to continue his support of Canadian Soccer and keep his interest satisfied that he will be able to one day join a Successful Product. 

10 minutes ago, Futballer said:

Buzz  Sting  FC Edmonton  is gone

1 minute ago, Futballer said:

He is attending  the meetings to continue his support of Canadian Soccer and keep his interest satisfied that he will be able to one day join a Successful Product. 

So the team may be back?

Not sure if this was posted or not. Just got my copy of the NSCAC's Journal for Soccer Coaches, has an interview with Bierne. 

Don't want to rip off the article, go out and buy it if you want the full thing, but some quick takeaways:

- Some teams will have true academies, others will be partnering with existing clubs to create a development pathway. 

- In a response to a question about drafts and free agency, the league doesn't want to have many rules and constraints about the acquisition and distribution of player, but they have to have discussions on how things will work with the initial launch with such a high volume of player acquisitions that will have to be made. They also estimate that teams will need 2 transfer windows to have adequate time to build rosters. 

- "From a budget perspective, with Hamilton and Winnipeg, I think we are sending the world a message about the scale and aspirations of this league [...] but we've also said we want to launch and be successful in communities of 300,000 [...] we need to be able to do both"

- He can see them selling out games in markets like Saskatchewan with 10000 people and selling 20000 seats in Hamilton in a "future state" 

Edited by Complete Homer

Kind of getting the vibe that we won't be seeing the sort of party seen in MLS...but there's also been statements about needing mechanisms for cost control.  Maybe something like a combination soft cap, luxury tax, and hard cap on top? 

Could help satisfy larger markets/ownership groups, help keep small markets afloat, and still avoid NASL-esque runaway spending. I'd be fine with it as long as the hard cap wasn't too far above the soft

Edited by Complete Homer

7 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

- "From a budget perspective, with Hamilton and Winnipeg, I think we are sending the world a message about the scale and aspirations of this league [...] but we've also said we want to launch and be successful in communities or 300,000 [...] we need to be able to do both"

Oh shit there does like 15 markets

2 hours ago, Pat Carrasco said:

I read the article. Now if you read in between the lines, I get this gut feeling that Fath is using this whole situation as a leverage for negotiation. It seems that he's forcing the CPL to give him certain concessions. These concessions are as followed:

1. TV deal
  2. Marketing
  3. corporate sponsorship.

If you can not give me any of these concessions, you could forget that Edmonton will ever play in the CPL. All you have to do is to give me what I want. This is the reason why he keeps going to the CPL meetings. Please, I need suggestions. Try to prove me wrong. I won't get mad. Even Kartik Krishnaiyer (U.S. NASL podcaster) said the same thing to me. He believes that Edmonton is NOT dead yet.

I think he definitely wants to shape the league somewhat in what he believes in and won't commit until he's satisfied. Fath believes strongly in the independent club style of league owned by the clubs themselves and wants to see a version of that in what the CPL becomes. Doesn't mean he wants to dictate everything but if this turns out to be a Canadian version of Mls too much with single entity,  league owned players etc then he won't be in. Fath will input his views and ideas at CPL meetings and wait and see how things materialize in the end for the final model of the league and that along with city support etc will let him decide if FC Edmonton re-appears at the pro level in CPL.

11 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

On a sidenote, there are 17 municipalities with a population over 300,000, which gives us room to have exactly one mythical pro/rel spot after we hit that magical 16 teams.

Suck it Barrie you'll never get a team!

EDIT: Actually I want Barrie to have a team with Snow Valley as their kit sponsor

Edited by matty

53 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

On a sidenote, there are 17 municipalities with a population over 300,000, which gives us room to have exactly one mythical pro/rel spot after we hit that magical 16 teams.

Looking at the list though, 6 are in the GTHA, 2 are in the Montreal CMA, 2 are in the Vancouver CMA, and number 18 is Gatineau, which is walking distance to downtown Ottawa.  So basically you have the 4 cities with existing teams, their burbs, and Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax, London, and Quebec City.

But at the same time, because this is done on a city basis, rather than a CMA basis, you've lost the half-million people in Waterloo Region, which is effectively one large city.

If you use the CMA list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_census_metropolitan_areas_and_agglomerations_in_Canada over 300,000 also gives you Waterloo, St. Catharines/Niagara, Victoria, Windsor, and if it keep growing at the same rate, Saskatoon by 2019. The separate CMAs for Hamilton and Oshawa do suggest the Toronto area can handle multiple teams.

But other than setting a basement - it means little.

47 minutes ago, matty said:

Suck it Barrie you'll never get a team!

EDIT: Actually I want Barrie to have a team with Snow Valley as their kit sponsor

The Barrie CMA is at about 200,000. Dropping from 300,000 to 200,000 only adds Regina, Sherbrooke, St. John's, Barrie, and Kelowna (which will also be 200,000 by 2019).

Edited by nfitz

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Looking at the list though, 6 are in the GTHA, 2 are in the Montreal CMA, 2 are in the Vancouver CMA, and number 18 is Gatineau, which is walking distance to downtown Ottawa.  So basically you have the 4 cities with existing teams, their burbs, and Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax, London, and Quebec City.

But at the same time, because this is done on a city basis, rather than a CMA basis, you've lost the half-million people in Waterloo Region, which is effectively one large city.

If you use the CMA list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_census_metropolitan_areas_and_agglomerations_in_Canada over 300,000 also gives you Waterloo, St. Catharines/Niagara, Victoria, Windsor, and if it keep growing at the same rate, Saskatoon by 2019. The separate CMAs for Hamilton and Oshawa do suggest the Toronto area can handle multiple teams.

But other than setting a basement - it means little.

The Barrie CMA is at about 200,000. Dropping from 300,000 to 200,000 only adds Regina, Sherbrooke, St. John's, Barrie, and Kelowna (which will also be 200,000 by 2019).

I don't think you can safely do multiple GTA teams but could see 3 teams around the golden horseshoe (between Toronto Hamilton and KW) eventually. Aside from them i could see the other large metro areas having teams excluding Montreal maybe (due to impact's supposed struggles to break out in quebec).

Regarding the 200k markets, i do see a city like st. John's maybe working out but those are expections due to them being a provincial mega city whicj could result it total provincial support if tv is in place.

So i guess 10-12 teams eventually is something i could see happening if they get tv, sponsorships and fan support.

8 hours ago, Futballer said:

No need to get a video pat you want Doug Logan in person ,  he is just a phone call away .  Let me know when you want that interview, we can set it up in a minute.

An interview for Red Card, perhaps? For once I have to side with Pat Carrasco to a certain extent. If Tom Fath is still showing up it's because his possible future participation is conditional on something that the Ticats and Blue Bombers have yet to agree to or demonstrate to him. My money would be on team budgets being downsized to a level he views as sustainable more than TV, sponsorship etc which are not under the control of the two confirmed investor groups, but that's pure speculation on my part and not "misinformation" before Soefeia gets on my case again.

6 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Only if Vaughan, Markham, Mississauga, Brampton and Laval could be made to work, which is dubious. When those five fall away and you leave out the big three you wind up with 10 markets with Saskatoon included and with the exception of London and Quebec City those ten are pretty much the ones we are hearing news and leaked information about. If 300,000 is the cut-off you can probably forget ever seeing pro-rel.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Only if Vaughan, Markham, Mississauga, Brampton and Laval could be made to work, which is dubious. When those five fall away and you leave out the big three you wind up with 10 markets with Saskatoon included and with the exception of London and Quebec City those ten are pretty much the ones we are hearing news and leaked information about. If 300,000 is the cut-off you can probably forget ever seeing pro-rel.

but if they can, and the big three then there's even more, and if you can make even smaller communities work, theres even more there. yay!

but if you cant even make those work, there's less. BOO

In conclusion, guessing about what can and can't work is dumb.

Nobody's forcing you to read any of this, if that's the way you feel. Just realized that K/W isn't on that list of 300k markets due to there being multiple municipalities involved, but even with them factored in you only get to 10 non-MLS markets with strong independent media that would be available to cover a team in a hometown heroes sort of way plus Surrey. Not difficult to see how Paul Beirne's ten markets that are expected to get there eventually which are at various points on a spectrum of readiness would have been arrived at in other words, which is the point that was being hinted at that seems to have flown over your head.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Nobody's forcing you to read any of this, if that's the way you feel. Just realized that K/W isn't on that list of 300k markets due to there being multiple municipalities involved, but even with them factored in you only get to 10 non-MLS markets with strong independent media that would be available to cover a team in a hometown heroes sort of way plus Surrey. Not difficult to see how Paul Beirne's ten markets that are expected to get there eventually which are at various points on a spectrum of readiness would have been arrived at in other words, which is the point that was being hinted at that seems to have flown over your head.

Just wanted to note something cause this is kind of key I think. Hamilton and Victoria are NOT considered independent of either Toronto or Vancouver when it comes to media so a great deal (at least in Hamilton's case) of TV and radio is shared with Toronto and therefore TFC.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I wasn't upset, just trying to joke around a bit. This thread is stale. Feel free not to read this post too.

19 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

"We'll look at pro-rel after we hit 16 teams" was code for "we're never going past 16 teams."

I know many here have dreams of some mythical pro-rel promised land, but I have some oceanfront land in Saskatchewan to sell them if they truly believe that.