2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Anyone have any idea why Cooper consistently gets starts ahead of Osorio and Chapman?

Cooper can defend better than both of them. Since Vazquez has arrived to provide creativity, Osorio and Cooper are competing  for a box-to-box  role which Cooper fills better.Chapman is 3rd choice.

8 minutes ago, badname22 said:

Cooper can defend better than both of them. Since Vazquez has arrived to provide creativity, Osorio and Cooper are competing  for a box-to-box  role which Cooper fills better.Chapman is 3rd choice.

Not sure about that.  I think Osorio defends better than Cooper.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I am not sure that I ever saw anything from cooper that caught my attention in a positive way.  Whereas with Vazquez I do see positive signs. 

I saw nothing so far to suggest that cooper is an upgrade over Oso..  

I thought Cooper had a really good game last week but was much less in this Columbus game (from the goals against onward, at least).  From a man management perspective, is Vanney going to alternate these guys each time they have an underwhelming performance or is he going to stick with one as the regular starter until he plays himself out of the starting role after a string of weaker efforts?  Both players have notable strengths but clear weaknesses so I guess it boils down to which guy is seen to be the better fit for the success of the rest of the team.

9 minutes ago, TRM said:

That is too bad. Hopefully Mo can land somewhere and get some minutes. Although inconsistent I've always thought he had some serious potential. I still think he does.

I know FC Edmonton desperately need a striker. It would be a long shot, but perhaps he could land there. Outside of Edmonton, I don't know of many pro opportunities around for him. Might have to join up with Quillan Roberts in League1 Ontario.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

We need more players like Mo Babouli, not less. Probably be replaced by some robotic athlete from south of the border.

I mentioned in this in the Babouli thread in the national team players forum, this is my fear as well, and will make me even angrier if this should happen. If Ben Spencer has been tearing it up for TFC II that would be one thing to dump a young Canadian attacker in favour of him but he hasn't even scored yet at that level. Yet I get the feeling the dumping of Babouli at this stage is to make way for his signing to the first team.

24 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

If Ben Spencer has been tearing it up for TFC II that would be one thing to dump a young Canadian attacker in favour of him but he hasn't even scored yet at that level. Yet I get the feeling the dumping of Babouli at this stage is to make way for his signing to the first team.

If that's the case then it's disgraceful.

Edwards seems to look better every week, although I thought he was a bit fatigued towards the end of the game - but even though he's a left footed player, it looks like he can play with both (tricky) feet.

Not sure if the cameras caught how pissed off Giovinco was about getting subbed off after his second goal but he went straight into the dressing room without even looking at Vanney and didn't even come out to get his token player of the game award. Or maybe he was just pissed about his buddy Babouli being waived as well.

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I mentioned in this in the Babouli thread in the national team players forum, this is my fear as well, and will make me even angrier if this should happen. If Ben Spencer has been tearing it up for TFC II that would be one thing to dump a young Canadian attacker in favour of him but he hasn't even scored yet at that level. Yet I get the feeling the dumping of Babouli at this stage is to make way for his signing to the first team.

I never seen this Spencer play but is he being seen as a big guy/target man developmental back up for Altidore?

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Grow up Gio, 6min left, up 3-0, drink your gatorade and bask in the glow of scoring a brace.  Is it bad that I am getting to hate our best player?  

Agreed 100%! I am happy someone mentioned this that was absolutely terrible. My GF sat down and watched a few mins of the game and she was like 'Why is he mad they are going to win'

Terrible, terrible attitude problem.

4 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Agreed 100%! I am happy someone mentioned this that was absolutely terrible. My GF sat down and watched a few mins of the game and she was like 'Why is he mad they are going to win'

Terrible, terrible attitude problem.

And yet Vanney was practically publicly apologizing for his "miscalculation" in the press conference after the match and I've seen a lot of fans on other forums calling Vanney out for taking out Giovinco & Vazquez from this match as though it somehow cost them something. Bizarre. The coach of Italy's national team cut Pelle from the national team for doing far less than what Giovinco did when he was subbed out of his last match for Italy.

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I never seen this Spencer play but is he being seen as a big guy/target man developmental back up for Altidore?

I gather that's the idea, I just figure TFC has another youngster in the pecking order in the name of Jordan Hamilton ahead of Spencer, a player who last year proved in limited minutes he could score at the MLS level (unlike Spencer who has yet to prove that he can score at the USL level) and hold the ball up as a target man - not as much in the air yet but then you've also Ricketts that can win headers.

But I may be jumping the gun, maybe there were other reasons for suddenly cutting the player now, it's just that there is no other readily apparent reason for the timing that I can see.

Babouli was making peanuts, if they really thought there was a future with TFC they could have sent him down to TFC2 to get some minutes.  Maybe they cut him so he can catch on with another team, but I think it was all making way for Spencer.  And I watch TFC2, and agree that Johnson probably deserves a contract, but I also know TFC and that means some shitty american will likely get it.  

Watched the game and thought Edwards did great. As to Gio well attitude aside I'd have subbed Altidore as he wasn't doing much except missing the net.

Didn't think the subs did much. Was it Cheyrou who did the turnover that spoiled the clean sheet?

Archived