Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

1 hour ago, Jith12 said:

If he has British citizenship he should be eligible for England via the grandparent rule. This article about his sister Tatiana states that she is eligible for England, which leads me to believe that he is eligible for England as well.  

In the same article it says: 

With dual nationality, Silvana opted to represent Mexico, the country of their father while Marcelo chose Canada, the country of their birth

Source ⤵️

http://dailycannon.com/2018/07/arsenal-sign-mexican-striker/

44 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

In the same article it says: 

With dual nationality, Silvana opted to represent Mexico, the country of their father while Marcelo chose Canada, the country of their birth

Source ⤵️

http://dailycannon.com/2018/07/arsenal-sign-mexican-striker/

He's 13 though which is why I would take this quote with a grain of salt. I know his father is very supportive of Canada and that could rub off on him, but until I see at least a U16 Canadian call-up in a year or two its not crazy to think he could change allegiance to better teams in Mexico or England. 

5 hours ago, Protega said:

He wasn't there with the Futuro boys - he was there for the England U16 camp.  Just a coincidence that they were there at the same time, and someone knew the dad and asked him to talk to the boys about his experience in England.

I'm not one to ask people for evidence, but I just can't see his name anywhere and he's not on the roster the England FA released. So in this case, I'm asking you for evidence...

4 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I'm not one to ask people for evidence, but I just can't see his name anywhere and he's not on the roster the England FA released. So in this case, I'm asking you for evidence...

I don't know what his status is with the England team, but I know for a fact that he was not there with the Futuro U13 boys, and that he was there for the England U16 camp.  I suppose that doesn't mean he would necessarily be included in the squad for the tournament.  He did mention that he was the youngest player there, so it could be he was invited to the camp but not to play in the tournament?

4 hours ago, tyler453 said:

He's 13 though which is why I would take this quote with a grain of salt. I know his father is very supportive of Canada and that could rub off on him, but until I see at least a U16 Canadian call-up in a year or two its not crazy to think he could change allegiance to better teams in Mexico or England. 

He's turning 15 this year (2003 born).

25 minutes ago, Protega said:

He's turning 15 this year (2003 born).

My mistake. But if he's as good as many are saying, I'm sure that will definitely warrant a call-up to the U17s heading in to the CONCACAF U17 Championship next year. This will be a big telltale on where we are at with his commitment.

6 hours ago, tyler453 said:

He may have to settle for representing one of those two countries at the rate we’ve been producing talent lately. 

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

I’d like to know why he’s not there

Just think on it...put on your CDN soccer fan thinking cap and I am sure it will take you to all the dark places.  2-3 options crossed my mind as soon as I saw the list....each more evil and sadistic than the last.   

19 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Does anyone know what the league he would be playing in is? He's not with the U18's, and I've looked around and haven't seen anything about a U17 or U16 PL.

Would be in the U16 Schoolboys. At that level they play alot of tournaments, friendlies, cup games. More focused on development than a league table

Anything below U18 isnt disclosed due to age

Edited by Jmhutchinson

I hope people do realize he is on an Arsenal youth team not the Premiership Club because from the posts in this thread it does not really sound like it. The percentage of U16 players on a Premiership side that even have a professional career at all let alone play for a club like Arsenal is in the low single digits. I do hope the CSA is in contact with and scouting players like him but at the same time lets not assume he is better than the guys we are inviting to the camp or is even available or willing to go. Yes we have been hurt by defections before but lets at least wait until his career is more advanced before playing the dumped too many times to ask a girl out paranoid dude worried that the only girl interested in him is going to dump him for the rich good looking guy!

Edited by Grizzly

1 hour ago, Jmhutchinson said:

Would be in the U16 Schoolboys. At that level they play alot of tournaments, friendlies, cup games. More focused on development than a league table

Anything below U18 isnt disclosed due to age

Thanks. Over here, the MLS academies in the same age group do play in a league (the USSDA), which is why I found it odd that they wouldn't play in an organized league there.

18 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I hope people do realize he is on an Arsenal youth team not the Premiership Club because from the posts in this thread it does not really sound like it. The percentage of U16 players on a Premiership side that even have a professional career at all let alone play for a club like Arsenal is in the low single digits. I do hope the CSA is in contact with and scouting players like him but at the same time lets not assume he is better than the guys we are inviting to the camp or is even available or willing to go. Yes we have been hurt by defections before but lets at least wait until his career is more advanced before playing the dumped too many times to ask a girl out paranoid dude worried that the only girl interested in him is going to dump him for the rich good looking guy!

No time for reason! It’s time for outrage!

17 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I don't think people are blindly commenting because he is in the Arsenal structure.  As indicated by the thread title, some soccer people view this kid as a special sort of talent (I assume "prodigy" isn't just tagged onto any kid).  Thus the hope that he gets pulled into the Canadian youth system.

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't think people are blindly commenting because he is in the Arsenal structure.  As indicated by the thread title, some soccer people view this kid as a special sort of talent (I assume "prodigy" isn't just tagged onto any kid).  Thus the hope that he gets pulled into the Canadian youth system.

In my experience the term prodigy is tagged onto a lot of kids who I never hear about again when they reach the age of a professional footballer. How many Canadian Messis/Canadian Football Jesuses have we had? Often the terms are promotions used by parents or agents or just hopeful and desperate football fans. I hope this kid ends up being as good as promised and then commits to Canada and the CSA should be doing their due diligence on him but the amount of importance we give to young guys we have never seen play on this forum after someone calles them talented or a prodigy is very disproportionate.

5 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

In my experience the term prodigy is tagged onto a lot of kids who I never hear about again when they reach the age of a professional footballer. How many Canadian Messis/Canadian Football Jesuses have we had? Often the terms are promotions used by parents or agents or just hopeful and desperate football fans. I hope this kid ends up being as good as promised and then commits to Canada and the CSA should be doing their due diligence on him but the amount of importance we give to young guys we have never seen play on this forum after someone calles them talented or a prodigy is very disproportionate.

It isn't his parents bragging him up - it. Was the media on the basis of what his academy coaches were saying.  I take that as fairly different.

And sure he may not end up making it big.  But all people on this thread were saying is that he should have been called up to a camp to get a good look at him - which seems to me like the ideal opportunity to get a sense of his talent in relation to his Canadian peers.  And that seems exactly like the kind of thing that would allow everyone involved to make the kind of informed judgement you seem to be advocating.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, Jith12 said:

Thanks. Over here, the MLS academies in the same age group do play in a league (the USSDA), which is why I found it odd that they wouldn't play in an organized league there.

Premier League academy teams play against other Premier League and Football League academy sides in what are, basically, glorified friendlies on a week-to-week basis up to U16. There is a Premier League Cup competition which has a group stage, followed by knockout rounds, which is interspersed throughout the season. Up to U16, they play with unlimited rolling subs. From U18, they play in a more formal league structure and move to a limit of 3 subs from a bench of 5 named players. U9 through U15 teams play on Sundays, while U16 and U18 play on Saturday.

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores