Cyle Larin

shermanator

50 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is how I interpret it as well.  Great news insofar as it shows faith in Larin and that he will get a ton more minutes.

He is getting his chance, and he needs to start producing (not implying he hasnt been, but he's yet to score against a top rival). The last game he had 2 good chances to put it away and missed. He needs to start putting away the chances he gets or the coaching staff and fans will lose faith in him. As he starts to face stronger teams the chances will starts to become fewer, amd thats what separates a world class striker from the rest, they put away the few chances they get. Besiktas' supporters are very demanding and they expect a lot from their forwards.

Edited by LeoH037

Larin got subbed out around the 60th when they were down 2-0 (2-1 agg). They need a goal with about 10 minutes left to advance.

Anyone know how he played?

16 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Larin got subbed out around the 60th when they were down 2-0 (2-1 agg). They need a goal with about 10 minutes left to advance.

The guy who replaced him scored and it ended 2-1 which I think gave Besitkas the overall win on away goals with a 2-2 aggregate. However, that player was also given a red card as part of his goal celebration so he won't be starting ahead of Larin in the next Europe league match

28 minutes ago, canta15 said:

He did okay. Besiktas really struggled overall.

Larin wasn't particularly good or bad either way. Had a chance at a diving header in the second half but the cross was just beyond him.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

The guy who replaced him scored and it ended 2-1 which I think gave Besitkas the overall win on away goals with a 2-2 aggregate. However, that player was also given a red card as part of his goal celebration so he won't be starting ahead of Larin in the next Europe league match

Also apparently that guy (Negredo) is heading to Monaco...

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Aha thanks, but do you honestly not know who Alvaro Negredo is

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

Aha thanks, but do you honestly not know who Alvaro Negredo is

His name rings a bell, I think for some Spanish national team games in the past - didn't he play for them in the Euros year ago? - but I wasn't particularly fussed either way. I'm not someone who follows either the Spanish national team or its league particularly religiously.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

His name rings a bell, I think for some Spanish national team games in the past - didn't he play for them in the Euros year ago? - but I wasn't particularly fussed either way. I'm not someone who follows either the Spanish national team or its league particularly religiously.

He was an extremely good striker for Valencia before becoming one of the biggest flops in recent Man City history

5 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I thought he was at Sevilla?

25 minutes ago, canta15 said:

He was an extremely good striker for Valencia before becoming one of the biggest flops in recent Man City history

It was actually at Sevilla where he made his name. He had 70 league goals in about 130 appearances. Man city bought him up after that and once he struggled there they loaned him to Valencia, who ultimately bought him.

His strike rate was never that impressive at Valencia, which is likely why Besiktas saw an opportunity to swoop in for a big name at a cheap price, which they often do.

With the state of the Turkish financial market and in particular the lira, these guys are more a selling league than for along time.  I can't see them having much cash to buy anyone right now even if they sell players.  If they are paying players in USD, clubs are going to have a very hard time making payroll; if they are paying in lira, players are going to want to leave as their wages have just fallen by about 40% this year in real terms.  So I think few players will want to come there even if they have the money to buy them.  Therefore, its likely Larin will be left with a lot of responsibility which maybe a good thing for his playing time but the league overall will be diminished significantly in the short term.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

It was actually at Sevilla where he made his name. He had 70 league goals in about 130 appearances. Man city bought him up after that and once he struggled there they loaned him to Valencia, who ultimately bought him.

His strike rate was never that impressive at Valencia, which is likely why Besiktas saw an opportunity to swoop in for a big name at a cheap price, which they often do.

ah yea, I got Soldado and Negredo confused 

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

With the state of the Turkish financial market and in particular the lira, these guys are more a selling league than for along time.  I can't see them having much cash to buy anyone right now even if they sell players.  If they are paying players in USD, clubs are going to have a very hard time making payroll; if they are paying in lira, players are going to want to leave as their wages have just fallen by about 40% this year in real terms.  So I think few players will want to come there even if they have the money to buy them.  Therefore, its likely Larin will be left with a lot of responsibility which maybe a good thing for his playing time but the league overall will be diminished significantly in the short term.

Honestly, I had completelyforgotten about the lira meltdown.  That could be kind of a big deal for Larin and Hutch.  Do we know if they are paid in USD?  I remember discussion about some of pur other players getting screwed on the financial side of things (in Romania?) and it would be a shame to see two of our higher produce players get caught up in anything like that sort of thing.