Cyle Larin

shermanator

2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Feels like he only scores those clutch goals doesn't it?  Think KJ mentioned as much the other day.

There's a nick name for you.  Clutch.  Knew a Jammer growing up, short for Gear Jammer, so why not a Clutch.

FYI, spoiler alert but fu'k it, if you aren't watching the CNL Final Adams just hit a 35 yard cannon to earn the US the lead.  A right beauty.  

Knew, not new.   

Blame the mobile.  I'm a victim of predictive text.  A-gin.

Edited by Cheeta

6 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

FYI, spoiler alert but fu'k it, if you aren't watching the CNL Final Adams just hit a 35 yard cannon to earn the US the lead.  A right beauty.  

The US look soo good.  They'd rip through our D so hard and bad.  I'm not a fan of Berhalter, but I have to admit he finally has this team looking like a "team".

^ Echo that.  They've found their groove in the same way past editions have.  Sort of expected that they would.

Mexican defending, what can you say?  Can be better than fair until sure as shit someone will do something just bizarro and gift a golden opportunity.  I write... as Reyna celebrates a pretty good snap shot that gives the US a 2 - nil lead.

1 hour ago, maccaliam said:

Remember when it was the general consensus he could only score with his bum? I would have thought after all those shawarmas there would be a bigger backside as a target to score with, but it has been ages since he’s scored like that. Maybe he’s saving it for the COPA 

When it comes to him scoring unusual goals, I doubt we've seen the end of it.

I see the Mallorca general press all did articles, including with clips of both goals. Funny, one article says it is his first goal in 2 months, a bit of a dig at his lack of production for them since January.

https://okdiario.com/baleares/2-0-gran-noche-larin-gol-clasificacion-canada-12578306

https://www.mallorcadiario.com/canada-trinidad-tobago-nations-league-concacaf-2024

https://www.marca.com/futbol/mallorca/2024/03/24/65ffdfc0268e3e40028b4590.html

Mallorca fans are really hyped for the Cup final in 10 days, as it's an island with a strong tourism culture, they are adding flights, and even sending extra fast ferries over from Mallorca, even though Sevilla is quite a bit inland and far from any ferry terminal. In fact the drive once off the ferry is 7 hours.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

21 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I see the Mallorca general press all did articles, including with clips of both goals. Funny, one article says it is his first goal in 2 months, a bit of a dig at his lack of production for them since January.

https://okdiario.com/baleares/2-0-gran-noche-larin-gol-clasificacion-canada-12578306

https://www.mallorcadiario.com/canada-trinidad-tobago-nations-league-concacaf-2024

https://www.marca.com/futbol/mallorca/2024/03/24/65ffdfc0268e3e40028b4590.html

Mallorca fans are really hyped for the Cup final in 10 days, as it's an island with a strong tourism culture, they are adding flights, and even sending extra fast ferries over from Mallorca, even though Sevilla is quite a bit inland and far from any ferry terminal. In fact the drive once off the ferry is 7 hours.

Larin not fitting in apparently (from the first article):

...and not only because his scoring performance has not been as expected, but also because he has not been a footballer who has fit in well in the locker room.

Just now, PegCityCam said:

Larin not fitting in apparently (from the first article):

...and not only because his scoring performance has not been as expected, but also because he has not been a footballer who has fit in well in the locker room.

Totally my own speculation (based on years of casual observation)

Larin just seems like an awkward guy a lot of the time.

58 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Totally my own speculation (based on years of casual observation)

Larin just seems like an awkward guy a lot of the time.

I didn't even see that @PegCityCam, thanks. 

Exacerbated by what seems to be his inability to learn a bit of the language. 

I realize not everyone is a magician, but he's been in Spain for 15 months now. He could say two phrases in a press conference. Bellingham, fair enough, a lot younger and having learnt German as a teen, was already speaking after 3-4 months here. 

This irritates the press a bit, I see the Mallorca press is not very enamoured of him and is often not too nice.

I also think he's fairly timid, or else self-absorbed, not sure what it may be. But he had falling outs with Orlando, Besiktas, Bruges. Valladolid was fine. I think Aguirre being from Concacaf, also because he requested Cyle, is saving his butt quite a bit. Little details could save his entire season, like if he scores, or is a key factor, in the Cup final and they win. And of course if they avoid relegation.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I didn't even see that @PegCityCam, thanks. 

Exacerbated by what seems to be his inability to learn a bit of the language. 

I realize not everyone is a magician, but he's been in Spain for 15 months now. He could say two phrases in a press conference. Bellingham, fair enough, a lot younger and having learnt German as a teen, was already speaking after 3-4 months here. 

This irritates the press a bit, I see the Mallorca press is not very enamoured of him and is often not too nice.

As it should irritate them. It's an unintentional but clear sign of disrespect. I get not everyone has a facility with languages but it should be a mandatory part of a contract even. As a pro it should be one of the first things you do in a new place. Saku Koivu learning, what, two lines in French, after 10 years in town? Make the effort.

12 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

As it should irritate them. It's an unintentional but clear sign of disrespect. I get not everyone has a facility with languages but it should be a mandatory part of a contract even. As a pro it should be one of the first things you do in a new place. Saku Koivu learning, what, two lines in French, after 10 years in town? Make the effort.

I made a phone call to Norway this morning and said good day in Norwegian. Ok, that was easy (god dag)

I once did 8 German classes before going to Germany the first time, with a great teacher, and I was actually ordering, saying hello, I made a phone call. Berlitz style, the old way, phrases.

Just treat it like something fun, learn a bit, and use it. Then change quickly and desperately back to English if you have to.

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I also think he's fairly timid, or else self-absorbed, not sure what it may be. But he had falling outs with Orlando, Besiktas, Bruges. Valladolid was fine.

I am interested in behavioural psychology and for me Larin is an interesting case.  But it seemed obvious to me when the Valladolid coach touched Larin's face and said something to the effect of "we need you" you could see Larin visibly beam and swell to 10 feet tall.  Then and there Larin decided to go through walls for that guy.

Larin plays an insecure position where tangible production is vital to his survival, he needs that support.  The CMNT environment gives him that support and security (in his mind) and he is able to relax and produce.

I usually don't make predictions because you can end up looking stupid but my thoughts on Herdman (CMNT success) and Corbeanu (re CMNT non success) both came to pass (against much disagreement at the time) but I keep hoping to be proven wrong about Theo.

5 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I am interested in behavioural psychology and for me Larin is an interesting case.  But it seemed obvious to me when the Valladolid coach touched Larin's face and said something to the effect of "we need you" you could see Larin visibly beam and swell to 10 feet tall.  Then and there Larin decided to go through walls for that guy.

That was Pacheta, Pacheta is a very warm guy, and the sporting director at Valladolid, a young guy, was also warm with him. Then they fired Pacheta.

He gets support from Aguirre, but I am not sure Aguirre translates well. He uses swear words very ironically, so if Larin misses a sitter he'll use some expletive in the press conference, but smiling, and warmly. He's like the grandfather with a grandson in his arms saying "son of a bitch" the whole time. 

I rarely mention it but every week Aguirre's press conferences are amazing, he's funny, warm, intelligent, he knows the names of all the journalists and greets them individually, he talks about his conversations with fans when out shopping. But is foul mouthed in a pure Mexican way, I can't describe it but all the Mexican fans says he's very authentic.

I'd hire Aguirre for Canada. I'd even bring him in interim just for Netherlands and Copa America, though that is not done in football, interrupting a contract or doubling up (it is, interestingly, done in basketball).

13 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Maybe.

It is sometimes easy to hoist our own abilities and personalities on others.

I work on three languages other than English in written form most every day. Have for years.

It still honestly scares me if I ever have to speak or try to understand them live.  Because of how my brain works. (Luckily no one speaks one of the languages anymore.)

Luis Paqueta has been in England almost two years. We can speculate about personalities but he is not a lazy footballer. His English by his own admission is still very basic.  I don't hold that against him as an English-speaking supporter of his club. He absolutely relies on Emerson Palmieri but I also don't see the rest of squad disliking him for it either.

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Maybe.

It is sometimes easy to hoist our own abilities and personalities on others.

I work on three languages other than English in written form most every day. Have for years.

It still honestly scares me if I ever have to speak or try to understand them live.  Because of how my brain works. (Luckily no one speaks one of the languages anymore.)

You work in Aramaic??!!

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I just thought maybe the "in Oxford" made you a Biblical scholar.

Latin then (being the word the predictive text gives you when typing Larin)?

Yes Cycle Latin, if you are not careful.  

They opened up Oxford to studies that were not the Divinity School a number of centuries ago 😉.

No just if you go back 300/400 years most everyone felt they needed to write in Latin sometimes.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

15 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Yes Cycle Latin, if you are not careful.  

They opened up Oxford to studies that were not the Divinity School a number of centuries ago 😉.

No just if you go back 300/400 years most everyone felt they needed to write in Latin sometimes.

I remember the mass being in Latin growing up.😉

I'm someone who has a ton of difficulty learning new languages, and my biggest hurdle is how awkward it is to actually say the words out loud knowing you sound completely silly, but that's something you just have to get over if you want to learn it and speak it to a conversational level. If Larin is shy and has struggled to speak enough Spanish to talk to his teammates, I do sympathize with that, especially given his situation where his career in Spain isn't as, say, guaranteed as a kid like Bellingham who learns the language because he knows he's going to spend the next decade at Madrid, at least. If that really is the issue, he can afford a language coach and all that, but I'm sure that most of his teammates understand some English, and if he's not gelling with the team in the dressing room, I'm willing to bet it has more to him being shy and reserved than not understanding Spanish. Likely compounded by his struggles to bag goals, but I also don't want to give too much weight to that report in any case. Might be the team figuring out a way to prepare the fans for his departure next year, or maybe some other team is releasing that to drop his transfer value, all speculative.