Cyle Larin

shermanator

My streams have been bad, maybe it is where I am.

That said, I am not sure that handball was clear enough for them to catch.

Too bad these last goals, since at least it would have been fun to see them try to tie it.

This ref, Mateu Lahoz, was at the WC, he's being forced to retire after this season. He reffed the shitshow Argentina-Netherlands, he's botched so many this season in the league. He tries to buddy up to players, wastes time, over-dialogues, then will hit his "friend" on the field with a card or some wild call. It's weired. I know it should not be the case but both he and Del Cerro Grande, who was also at the WC and also is being retired, have had serious problems making their VAR work this season. They'll ignore them, question them, intimidate them, and then they miss clear stuff that could be on VAR because the VAR refs won't insist.

Two potentially decent refs in decadence, I find it odd, after 10-12 years in top flight, they rot.

3 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Larin is now CONCACAF’s 2nd leading scorer in a top 5 league this season.

Our 2 strikers are the best strikers in CONCACAF.  What a year.

Best in concacaf 
GK: Navas CR 
LB: Davies CAN 
CB: Ream USA
CB: Vasques ? MEX
RB: Dest USA
CDM: Alvarez MEX
CM: Staq CAN
CM: Mckennie USA
LW: Pulisic USA
ST: David CAN 
RW: Buchanan CAN 

4 of 11 is not bad.

Unlucky players: Adams, Johnston, Larin, Lozano, Jiminez, 

Reading the sport dailies today, many like Sport say Valladolid deserved more. It was 2-3 and they hit two posts, then the own goal was a buzz kill. Or just as well, that the result did not reflect the match, where RV outplayed AM most of the second half. Also rated Larin amongst the best for Valladolid.

I could not watch it all, none of my streams worked well until into the 2nd half.

Next up is Rayo away in Madrid, this Thursday. After beating Barça at home they lost to bottom dweller Elche 4-0 away this past weekend. They are a very well coached team, and are usually very intense, with Irarola who played for NYCFC, but it should still be evenly matched.

45 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Best in concacaf 
GK: Navas CR 
LB: Davies CAN 
CB: Ream USA
CB: Vasques ? MEX
RB: Dest USA
CDM: Alvarez MEX
CM: Staq CAN
CM: Mckennie USA
LW: Pulisic USA
ST: David CAN 
RW: Buchanan CAN 

4 of 11 is not bad.

Unlucky players: Adams, Johnston, Larin, Lozano, Jiminez, 

Dest has had a disastrous season. Couldn't get a game with Barca so loaned to AC Milan but barely played. I think he played like 8 Serie A matches. If Johnston is too low of a level playing in the SPL with Celtic, than I would propose Sanchez the Mexican right back for Ajax. He's been in-and-out of the starting line up too, but he definitely has more minutes than Dest.

Also, if not Vasques what about Cameron Carter Vickors? He's ever-present on the Celtic back line, much like Johnston is, but he's been doing it for the full season.

Can't really argue the rest of the picks much, but would probably put Reyna in the Unlucky player list ahead of Lozano. Maybe De La Torre at Celta Vigo as well. Lozano plays a lot at Cadiz, but hasn't really done much to be deserving of an honorable mention. If you are looking for a top 5 league player, why not Bobby Cordova Ried at Fulham? Seems to make an impact off the bench and they are having a much better season than Cadiz are. Even better would be Leon Bailey or Antonio at Aston Villa and West Ham respectively. Neither have had stellar seasons, but Lozano hasn't either.

Jiminez by they way... I don't really know what he's been doing at Wolves, but I assume it isn't much.

Also, must say it's a fun list to think about, just nit-picking for conversations sake. It's cool how there are so many players now that we can debate. Aaronson at Leeds wasn't mentioned in this post, or Shamar Nicholson at Spartak Moscow. I am sure I am missing many more. Josh Sargent has quietly scored 13 goals for Norwich in the Championship. Pineda has had a good season with AEK Athens. The Mexican left back at Genk (name escapes me) is an everyday starter and they are going to win the Belgian league. Lots of Concacaf players doing things in Europe, much more than a decade ago, it seems. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Dest has had a disastrous season. Couldn't get a game with Barca so loaned to AC Milan but barely played. I think he played like 8 Serie A matches. If Johnston is too low of a level playing in the SPL with Celtic, than I would propose Sanchez the Mexican right back for Ajax. He's been in-and-out of the starting line up too, but he definitely has more minutes than Dest.

Also, if not Vasques what about Cameron Carter Vickors? He's ever-present on the Celtic back line, much like Johnston is, but he's been doing it for the full season.

Can't really argue the rest of the picks much, but would probably put Reyna in the Unlucky player list ahead of Lozano. Maybe De La Torre at Celta Vigo as well. Lozano plays a lot at Cadiz, but hasn't really done much to be deserving of an honorable mention. If you are looking for a top 5 league player, why not Bobby Cordova Ried at Fulham? Seems to make an impact off the bench and they are having a much better season than Cadiz are. Even better would be Leon Bailey or Antonio at Aston Villa and West Ham respectively. Neither have had stellar seasons, but Lozano hasn't either.

Jiminez by they way... I don't really know what he's been doing at Wolves, but I assume it isn't much.

Also, must say it's a fun list to think about, just nit-picking for conversations sake. It's cool how there are so many players now that we can debate. Aaronson at Leeds wasn't mentioned in this post, or Shamar Nicholson at Spartak Moscow. I am sure I am missing many more. Josh Sargent has quietly scored 13 goals for Norwich in the Championship. Pineda has had a good season with AEK Athens. The Mexican left back at Genk (name escapes me) is an everyday starter and they are going to win the Belgian league. Lots of Concacaf players doing things in Europe, much more than a decade ago, it seems. 

We missed an obvious one - Chucky Lozano. Going to be a Serie A champ with Napoli

I'm not so worried about how our players rate in Concacaf, since the US was rated much higher a year ago and we did not lose to them in qualifying. Same with Mexico. It's the team, the coaching, the competitive level, that matters more. 

I do agree that it creates a higher standard, and that playing against more difficult rivals (the kind of defending Larin has never seen and he's still scoring, the pressure on Johnston or Eustaquio to win everything) makes a difference. Players have a greater sense of what it means to compete, the pressure to win, overcome adversity, playing at a higher level. Or at least should.

One factor we have to take into account is that all these players are seeing top level coaching and if Herdman does not stay sharp, some of the stuff he does will be exposed. I'm talking about training methods, tactical decisions, ways of conceiving types of play. I don't think many MLS coaches show up Herdman, it may be different for those in Europe though. If you go back to the Nats from your club and see the coach and staff at a lower level, that damages their credibility. A NT coach has to grow with the team if the team is growing. 

One example: foul on a Canadian 4 metres inside the centre line. Send all CBs up for the free kick to be bombed in. That is archaic, beyond backwards, the higher the level you play. Use the fouls, and the accumulation of fouls to keep in possession and insist on advancing under control, instead of just wasting them on a very low% free kick into the box. Hate when we do that, it's retrograde. Just take the free kick short, stay in possession with the rival not set, keep them on the back foot, and try to get that foul under 30 m from goal. Then, fine, bomb it into the box.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Mundo Deportivo looks at the teams in the fight to avoid relegation, if you are interested. According to this, the only upper level rival left for Valladolid is Barça at home, and "we" may have won the league by the time we get there. Three are against direct rivals, Getafe, Almeria and Cádiz. Sevilla and Rayo are comfortable as they aren't playing for anything except pride, and Sevilla may rest players for Europa league. 

I'd say it's the best schedule, Espanyol's is tougher, so is Cadiz's, even Valencia. But that is if you think its better to face direct rivals or those midtable.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/eslaliga/20230501/1001996732/cuentas-permanencia-asi-esta-calendario-peor.html