Cyle Larin

shermanator

21 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Anyone else find it almost unbelievable what a different player he seems? I've always defended Larin, but I was almost positive he was 'limited' - not a true target man despite his profile and just pretty static outside the final third.

At Valladolid, he's making plays I've literally never seen him make. That back heel pass, that immediate pounce off Diakhaby's mistake, spraying passes across the pitch with a CB on his back - it's like he got a scout report of everything holding him back and just decided 'yeah, I'm gonna be good now.' Man looks possessed.

My feeling about Larin has always been he plays according to his surroundings.  Crap team or field and he plays crap.  Great field, stadium and team mates and he's great.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

This has cossed my mind before. Seems like once Larin gets going he can't be stopped. Then, something comes and cuts his momentum. We never saw that with Orlando, but at Besiktas the momentum killer was literally the end of the season.

His first game with Besiktas, or maybe his second, he had that four goal game, but didn't score in the others. He only played 4 league games in his first half season, because the reality was that Besiktas sort of took a flyer on him. It's not as if he was there marquee signing. He forced his way out of Orlando and Besiktas got him on the cheap. Anyway, the next season, which was his first full season, he was still second fiddle. A single four-goal game anomoly wasn't going to make him an automatic starter. So, not being a starter at Besiktas was the momentum killer. He never was able to catch fire and had to go out on loan and almost reinvent himself somewhat. Had a nice return of 9 goals and 7 assists for Zlute in all comps, then came back and caught fire because he was given the minutes. It almost didn't happen because if you guys recall Besiktas had one too many internationals (I think because they brought Abubakar back) and it was between him and Tyler Boyd who was going to get axed. In the end it was Boyd which kind of derailed his career. That easily could have been Larin, but as it was Larin was chosen to stay, struck up a partnership with Abubakar, and the rest was history. A monster 19 goal season and a domestic double. 

Following that, he had a good, but not great, 7 goals in the Super Lig, but Besiktas as a whole struggled to balance Champions League and domestic duty. I think they lost Abubakar to the middle east somewhere along the line and things just didn't seem to click. I guess that's a momentum killer, when your team loses a key piece or two and the squad is streched thin playing in the Champions League. 

Now after failing at Brugge he is back. I think as long as he stays at RV the good vibes will continue, provided the squad largely stays the same and they don't lose some key pieces. I know @Unnamed Trialist was talking about a young fullback being courted, not sure if such a thing would radically change things, but if they lose 3 or 4 pieces like that maybe it's a different story. I suspect however that playing with an underdog La Liga team is perfect, because they won't likely get to Europe and have those kind of demands stretching them thin like at Besiktas. That's my optimistic take on it. 

Great summary.

What I don't get is why they'd have to bus in to their own stadium. In a small city where they'd drive into their parking spots well before fans were around.*

Normally players just do on their own. Sometimes, in the past more than now, they'd concentrate players in a hotel before a game, even have them eat together. That is possible I suppose. 

I like that they are treating home to Atlético as a key match, also it being in prime time for Spanish football, the late game on Sunday, and even more since it's a holiday tomorrow.

*I have this memory of going to Anfield like 20 years ago, only time I went, and there were luxury vehicles in the small row of parking beside the stadium. Fans could just walk right past them and brush against them. I remember seeing a Ferrari with a Polish plate and figured that was Dudek's. I love how you get these mythical stadiums and then they have these very homey, totally unsophisticated things about them.

12 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Watching the game now.   Seems to me that this team was playing better before the coaching change.  I dont recall this kind porous defending at that time  

It was just as bad, they lost to Real Madrid, the same; to Bilbao at home, similar. The Osasuna game iirc. They were not tight defensively. They tend to be porous, the CBs are not sharp and the outside backs a bit lax. 

If they can get up a goal then they tighten up, but chasing games they can be soft.

9 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I'm going to ask a stupid question.  Is Larin the only guy to score for Valladolid since he joined the team.  If their offense is that pitiful you can almost see a scenario where Cylre gets crapped on for not scoring enough, just kidding.  I think I remember a game where someone else scored. but this is pitiful.

He didn't score in either of the wins vs. Villareal and Girona. Had one assist, played fairly well. 

At Madrid is third but they are close to Real Madrid second in the league and might get a more favourable Champions draw if they can catch them. Although they are well ahead of the 4th place team and I don't think they really should be that motivated, they aren't playing for much.