Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

As much as I get the optics issue, signing Canadian guys who can't quite make an MLS first team isn't something I think CPL can or should avoid.  They represent a high caliber of player, they are fringe Canadian players who would get valuable playing time (and insofar as CPL isn't a youth development league, that will be a key objective), and let's be honest - most people will either know that CPL wont be on par with MLS at the outset (informed fans) or won't be so "in the weeds" that they will be judging their local team on the basis of signings like that (uninformed fans drawn by the gameday experience).  

In short, I think those guys are precisely who will (and should) play in the league - especially at the outset when the challenge of populating decent squads will be substantial.

Oh I agree. I more meant to mean that over focusing on the idea that they signing underused Canadians can easily (and often rightly) be interpreted as "we are signing people who couldn't make it elsewhere"

I don't actually think it's true in Hamilton's case, just making a generalization 

With 8 or 10 teams, and let’s say about 15 Canadians per team, that’s 120 to 150 players. With that many for year 1 it will be necessary to take players from wherever you can. Naturally for a while they will have to sign guys that aren’t getting enough playing time in MLS. Sure it might get an MLS-reject-pile stigma but regardless of whatever stigma the league has it should and likely will be judged by its results in inter league competitions (ie Voyageurs Cup, CONCACAF League, CCL)

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Larson did make an insightful comment that CPL can't allow itself to gain the reputation for being an alternative destination for players who couldn't hack it in MLS. 

Damn Larson!!!!!.... CanPl should look into bringing players from middle-weight countries, particularly from South America imo... Those players can come in at a more affordable cost, than say anyone from Europe and will add that intriguing entertaining style of play to the league boosting while at the same time boosting its quality... As many of us know, South American like to play a high-tempo attacking stye of play, which would fare well in these parts from two perspectives... 1) To draw in more fan interest and 2) for the players from our pool system to learn and emulate that style of play so they can bring in to the national team and gradually build our competetiveness and our feralessness to go and attack as we displayed this past year under Zambrano... I think it is CRITICAL for us to keep up with that style of football and these young middle-to-highly rated South Americans from small South Americans clubs can add that flair to the league and league by example to all the youngsters of our pool system kick-starting their careers in CANPL... We shall see...  

32 minutes ago, Kent said:

With 8 or 10 teams, and let’s say about 15 Canadians per team, that’s 120 to 150 players. With that many for year 1 it will be necessary to take players from wherever you can. Naturally for a while they will have to sign guys that aren’t getting enough playing time in MLS. Sure it might get an MLS-reject-pile stigma but regardless of whatever stigma the league has it should and likely will be judged by its results in inter league competitions (ie Voyageurs Cup, CONCACAF League, CCL)

@ Kent I would also recommend bringing in guys from South America with potential but that are in similar position to these fringe MLS players we are talking about from the middle-weight leagues (i.e. Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Bolivia, maybe even Colombia, Paraguay) Small market teams from Argentina or Brazil could also do the trick... I'm sure these guys would come at a good value... I mentioned it a little bit more in another thread in this forum... They gotta spice up the league a bit, lol 

6 hours ago, matty said:

would love to see him prove tfc wrong with a solid showing in cpl if he comes into the league.

He has another season to prove himself but he is still #4 on the attacking depth chart behind Seba, Jozy and Toss but should be ahead of Spencer. Of course we've also seen them start Vazquez up top over Hamilton on occasion. 

He was on $82k last year. 

7 minutes ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Hamilton???... Also what about bringing Keven Alemán into  CANPL next spring???.... Any takes on that????

You mean spring of 2019?

Where is he right now after having been let go by Saprissa?

I suppose it will depend on what happens between now and then. Maybe he picks up a decent deal before the CPL ramps up. 

Edited by dbailey62

I find it funny how people are calling Hamilton a MLS reject... He is a MLS reject on a team with 2 DP strikers and one of the best striker subs in the league. Oh and another player who has the second most assists in the league who can also play striker... 

He isn’t exactly a normal reject. He’s never been given a chance. It’s not like they tried him and said he isn’t good enough. They just have enough talent that they don’t need him. He is exactly the guy we want in the CPL. Hopefully, he will be a star and the CPL can get canada’s Notice. 

5 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Damn Larson!!!!!.... CanPl should look into bringing players from middle-weight countries, particularly from South America imo... Those players can come in at a more affordable cost, than say anyone from Europe and will add that intriguing entertaining style of play to the league boosting while at the same time boosting its quality... As many of us know, South American like to play a high-tempo attacking stye of play, which would fare well in these parts from two perspectives... 1) To draw in more fan interest and 2) for the players from our pool system to learn and emulate that style of play so they can bring in to the national team and gradually build our competetiveness and our feralessness to go and attack as we displayed this past year under Zambrano... I think it is CRITICAL for us to keep up with that style of football and these young middle-to-highly rated South Americans from small South Americans clubs can add that flair to the league and league by example to all the youngsters of our pool system kick-starting their careers in CANPL... We shall see...  

I think we'll see a good number of Latin players. Mostly Central American but some South American too. Regarding the type we'll see, I don't see it being young up and comers but maybe mid-20 guys from smaller leagues and clubs or worldwide journeymen (maybe a Camilo-type will come along). While I don't think they'd draw fan interest per se I think they'd help the league keep it. Some guys (even from smaller clubs) will cost a pretty penny (maybe DP levels for this league) so you have to throw some caution out there but it's definitely a pool I see in CPL.

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I find it funny how people are calling Hamilton a MLS reject... He is a MLS reject on a team with 2 DP strikers and one of the best striker subs in the league. Oh and another player who has the second most assists in the league who can also play striker... 

He isn’t exactly a normal reject. He’s never been given a chance. It’s not like they tried him and said he isn’t good enough. They just have enough talent that they don’t need him. He is exactly the guy we want in the CPL. Hopefully, he will be a star and the CPL can get canada’s Notice. 

..... and that guy with the second most assists had ten goals!

Hamilton is not a reject! He's young and has skills. Given playing time as a sub and spare, he could probably score 6-10 goals in MLS.

You're right though as he could be a star in the CPL. 

6 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

..... and that guy with the second most assists had ten goals!

Hamilton is not a reject! He's young and has skills. Given playing time as a sub and spare, he could probably score 6-10 goals in MLS.

You're right though as he could be a star in the CPL. 

And double that if he was a starter. The boy is more than capable of playing in MLS.

37 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

For the record, I don't think Hamilton is a reject, his numbers are good

I was just pointing out that you have to be careful how you spin a signing like that, since I could see it easily being spun back as"CPL is a league for people who can't get minutes in MLS"

Best way is to sign a select few, not go on a USL shopping spree.

18 hours ago, matty said:

maybe a Camilo-type will come along)

Whatever happened to him??? ... From what I remembered he was interested even of playing for the CANMNT at one point and even was permanently residing in Canada... Amy updates???.. I know he went to Liga MX, but has he already completely rule out his possibility of a CANMNT call-up or still a chance???? @matty

12 hours ago, Macksam said:

The boy is more than capable of playing in MLS.

Good to know @Macksam.... Will be checking some of his top moments shortly.. Yeah, we all agree about his lack of opportunities, pretty much stranded in the bench for TFC, still seems to carry a good attitude about it which is a plus...  I guess the fact he hasn't earn much playing time is the reason why he hasn't gotten any call-ups for the CANMNT senior squad, right???... Prolly the CANMNT brass wants to see him get on the field more and see what he can deliver, right?... He's still at a good age, turning 22 this year, so yeah, he's got lots of time to demonstrate and show his game.... CANPL will def be the perfect environment, but if he can start showing bits of it this season with TFC as rare sub would be HUGE.... He should def be ahead of that damn Spencer guy in the depth chart and be knocking in the door behind Rickets imho anyways... That will benefit the CANMNT with another striker option down the road imo..

10 hours ago, matty said:

I would not be shocked if the league is full of NASL and USL Canadians year one.

Quite likely in fact @matty.... I got a bit of a gut feeling is gonna be something like that plus fringe MLSers and Canadians toiling around pretty low/obscure European leagues or other leagues across the globe... Think in guys like Mo Baboulli, La'Vere Corbin-One, Issey maybe????... Plus whatever foreigners they can bring... I don't know, that's just my hunch 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Real shame as he could have been a nice addition.

Now if he came back to Canada..

Exactly!!!... That's what a lot of CANMNT fans were saying, never saw him played, but it seemed he was quite the sensation with the Caps and became enamoured  and grown at home with Canada and Vancouver from what I recalled... I'm sure he would've been a big addition and would've added that nice flair to the CANMNT... He would've been very instrumental at this stage, particularly with the guys we seem to be adding and who knows with his presence we maybe could've reached the HEX, lmfao... I assume he doesn't live in Canada anymore... But I'm glad you updated me with this info

4 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Quite likely in fact @matty.... I got a bit of a gut feeling is gonna be something like that plus fringe MLSers and Canadians toiling around pretty low/obscure European leagues or other leagues across the globe... Think in guys like Mo Baboulli, La'Vere Corbin-One, Issey maybe????... Plus whatever foreigners they can bring... I don't know, that's just my hunch 

I wonder what Issey has planned. He just left his Malaysian club by mutual consent after having scored 32 goals in 61 appearances since 2015 and leading them to promotion to the Super League, a very nice strike rate. 

I'd love to see him in Ottawa! I really liked him in his short spell with TFC.  

9 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Beirne said in Halifax that D1 and D2 would be the target internationally.

46 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Beirne said in Halifax that D1 and D2 would be the target internationally.

What a league like a CPL will do like what the MLS in Canada has done is give us fans a chance to finally see what these Canadian players who play in leagues all over the world how good they really are. I remember before TFC there were  a few Canadian players that had played in a few leagues over in Europe and elsewhere that we could never see play day in day out at the club level, we only saw them play the odd time with the national team  but never at the club level so sometimes you could not really formulate how good a player was. I remember a few Canadian players who played on TFC for example in the early seasons of TFC , because I saw them play at the club level now for TFC I got a better perspective of what kind of player the player was , something I was not able to really do by seeing a player play just at the national team level. Therefore, just in terms of a fan perspective it will give us more chances to see what kind of players some of these players are, how good they really are, because now sometimes fans want certain players to being playing on the national just because they play in a certain league overseas, without really having the chance to really see them play day in day out.