Predictions for Sept. 2 & 6,2016

MtlMario

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ESG Shawn said:

I had a dream last night that we went up 1-0 early vs Honduras, on a goal from Arfield. I woke up at half time but I'll stick with that 1-0.

I will then predict we go out in the most Canada way possible and lose to El Salvador at home and see Honduras win at Azteca. 

Mexico will play without Chicharito and Oribe Peralta in qualifier matches against El Salvador and Honduras 

I think we will batten down the hatches and grind out a result in San Pedro Sula.  Larin's in confident, poaching form at the moment and will take my advice so after he peels away from Figueroa on the break he will strike the ball with his left foot instead of the outside of his right and score the opening goal :)  The Catrachos will tie off of a dodgy penalty call :angry:  1 - 1 going back to beat ES in Vancouver.

54 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

As of 5 pm et today we are 96 hrs,or 5760 mins.or 345,600 secs away from kick-off. You think I'm too anxious?

The 2018 World Champions don't even start their qualifying campaign until 96 hours after that time!

I had a dream the other night regarding this match. It was 0-0 in the 2nd half. Then around the 75th minute mark, a Canadian player wearing number 14 (apparently names weren't on the kits again), who could have played for England, cuts through the Honduran defence and is alone 1v1 with the keeper. He moves to the outside to round the keeper and, in doing so, is tripped by the keeper. The ref signals to the penalty spot and gives the Honduran a red card. Number 14 steps up and scores on the penalty kick - 1-0 to Canada! Bags of urine litter the pitch! Up a man, Canada desperately holds on over the final 15 minutes and wins the game!

In reality, Piette wears number 14 and he definitely is not going to dance through the defence (I think I had Hoilett in mind). Furthermore, no ref is ever going to give a Honduran a red card in San Pedro Sula. Still, one can dream!

The last match at San Pedro Sula I watched at my house with my father-in-law and father.  I have since sold said house (I could never enter that basement again), and moved on.  I'm feeling a 0-0 draw on the 2nd, Canada takes a RED in the middle of the second half.  Honduras pours it on smelling blood, a few posts and a missed sitter later and bam escape with a point! Followed by a 2-0 win back in Vancouver a penalty conversion, the game is iced in the '89th minute on the counter....

Full disclosure in 2004 in Honduras I swapped a Canada National team shirt with a Honduran for his National team shirt......I still have the shirt...waiting for a win down there to bury it.

It's going to be tighter than usual in Honduras, but our boys will still need some luck to get a result with any points.  Probably a one goal margin game.  The fact that they have netted only one goal so far in this qualifying round is not particularly encouraging.

Honduras 2 - 1 Canada

Canada 1 - 0 El Salvador

5 hours ago, sloth8 said:

I had a dream the other night regarding this match. It was 0-0 in the 2nd half. Then around the 75th minute mark, a Canadian player wearing number 14 (apparently names weren't on the kits again), who could have played for England, cuts through the Honduran defence and is alone 1v1 with the keeper. He moves to the outside to round the keeper and, in doing so, is tripped by the keeper. The ref signals to the penalty spot and gives the Honduran a red card. Number 14 steps up and scores on the penalty kick - 1-0 to Canada! Bags of urine litter the pitch! Up a man, Canada desperately holds on over the final 15 minutes and wins the game!

I had a dream the other night that Halle Berry wanted me to help her "celebrate" her recent 50th birthday.

...but your dream is actually pretty good too. Cheers!  :-)

I'm not making any predictions but it's time....time for one of our big guns -- be it Hutchinson, Arfield, Hoilett or Larin -- to come through and be a difference maker. Put up a brace or something. Anything FFS. None of this show up in SPS and just take the field. Take some positive action and make the Hex happen. LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOO

1 hour ago, Supersonic78 said:

I'm not making any predictions but it's time....time for one of our big guns -- be it Hutchinson, Arfield, Hoilett or Larin -- to come through and be a difference maker. Put up a brace or something. Anything FFS. None of this show up in SPS and just take the field. Take some positive action and make the Hex happen. LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOO

I want THIS.  I want it very badly ... but, sadly, I'm also going to predict a 2-0 loss in SPS.  Honduras gets one around the 30th minute, then strikes again in the 65th or so.

I'll predict a 1-1 tie vs. ES in Van just because I think our players will be deflated.  If we somehow manage to get a draw or better in SPS, I think we'll win 1-0 in Van.

Boo on you!

Admittedly, looks like Floro is hoping one of the lads pulls off a bit of individual magic on a counter but you know what?  We just may be due for that sort of thing.  Honduras need the 3.  It'll be full out action-stations for them if by the hour mark we're still drawn don't you think?  Ripe for a sucker punch they'll be.

Would love to see Larin find his international feet on Friday.  Do us (and him) a world of good.

Still think Hoilett will get to be the hero though,

Honduras-1  Canada-1

The Soccer gods continue to toy with us. They are even taking into account how jaded we are and are adjusting the  dream vs nightmare balance accordingly.  However, I have to fall in line and make the standard Canadian supporter prediction. It will be the way it's "supposed" to be :

0 - 0 in Honduras

1 - 0 in Vancouver

Thus with my hopes sufficiently raised, I wait for the gods to crush me.

See you guys at Scallys.

23 hours ago, shermanator said:

I predict a 2-0 loss in Honduras and a 1-0 win in Vancouver. Canada keeps the game scoreless through the first half in Honduras, but Honduras scores early in the second half and seals the deal late after Canada runs out of gas. 

I read an article by Carl Valentine (I think) a while back, where he talked about the crowd down their. He said at the beginning of the game all the crowds energy is behind their team, but the longer the game stays scoreless the more anxious the fans get, and the more that crowd energy actually starts to turn against the home side.

If we can make it to like the 55th minute and it's still nil-nil, I think the pressure on them will be immense. They'll get reckless and they'll be vulnerable on the counter.

Conversely, if they get a goal early, the pressure on us will be massive and relentless, and well, we saw how that turned out.

16 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

I read an article by Carl Valentine (I think) a while back, where he talked about the crowd down their. He said at the beginning of the game all the crowds energy is behind their team, but the longer the game stays scoreless the more anxious the fans get, and the more that crowd energy actually starts to turn against the home side.

If we can make it to like the 55th minute and it's still nil-nil, I think the pressure on them will be immense. They'll get reckless and they'll be vulnerable on the counter.

Conversely, if they get a goal early, the pressure on us will be massive and relentless, and well, we saw how that turned out.

Much the same was described to me by Tony Waiters recently. FWIW, he thinks Floro's doing a fine job and said the general strategy has a good chance of working down in Honduras. Let's all pray he's correct. And for some magic from '86 WCQ

14 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

A_Gagne, for a real life example of that in recent times look up the Honduras 0-1 T&T match from Oct. 2001. With WC qualification on the line the fans turned on them and drenched their players in beer as they left the field.

No bags of piss? They got off lucky!

hon vs can: 0-0 we play well and are seemingly the better team but just cant score

can vs slv: 0-1 we play decent but el salvador gets a goal on the counter in the 70th minute to win the game

honduras somehow wins in mexico though so it didnt really matter

Mexico    13    6    4    1    1    11    2    9

Honduras    8    6    2    2    2    5    5    0

El Salvador    6    6    1    3    2    4    8    -4

Canada    5    6    1    2    3    1    6    -5

At least, that's what my simulation said!

We get our draw in Honduras but not until extra time heroics from none other than Toisaint Rickets. Rickets finds his way through against the run of play and slides the ball past a helpless Honduran keeper. The Honduran supporters are livid as they fealt the play was offside. The pitch is littered with debris, the officials meet to discuss the play. There is a long delay. The goal stands. There is still additional time to be played. The Hondurans begin to launch balls into the Canadian box, we have ten men back defending our goal, an errand ball makes contact with Steven Vittoria's arm. The ref points to the spot. Penalty kick awarded to Honduras. The Canadians, some holding their heads, others with hands on knees cannot believe what is happening. Voyageurs from coast to coast chanting "football mafia CONCACAF", others vomiting, some frozen in silence. The Honduran penalty taker steps up to kick.  Borjan with a diving save. I did say we get our draw, right?  

Archived