Predictions for Sept. 2 & 6,2016

MtlMario

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Honduras 1-2 Canada

canada 0-1 El Salvador 

we win in Honduras essentially clinching the hex. We party the next few days, lay an egg at bc place but nobody cares cause we can have sex again! 

Wait, did we all agree on that last part?  I may have missed that meeting...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't typically make predictions but here we go.   I am a little more confident this time around but also remember all the times I have been completely crushed with disappointment.   With the newer, more talented players on the squad that weren't part of the last cycle I think the guys are going into the Honduras game fresh.  Floro and his tactics are also supposed to be able to get us results in these places. This could just be the homer in me talking though.

Honduras 1 - 1 Canada

Canada 2 - 0  El Salvador

The homer in me also thinks that getting the result in Honduras, the guys, for maybe the first time get a killer instinct and finish off strong at home with a Honduras loss in Mexico putting us in the hex.

On 2016-08-17 at 9:03 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Iain Hume to score?

Interesting you make reference to our goal-scoring "hero" of 4 years ago. It makes me wonder how many that played for Canada that memorable day will be back in the line-up this time around? The following were the 13 losers 4 years ago:

Hirshfeld, Edgar, Hainault, McKenna, Klukowski, Ledgerwood (Hume), de Guzman, Johnson, Ricketts, Jackson (Cavallini) and Hutchinson

If the Canadian line-up 2 weeks from now features 6 or 7 players used 4 years ago, how much have we really marginally improved? 4 years ago our only real goal-scorer, de Rosario, was out with an injury. This campaign we have only scored 1 goal in 4 matches, and that was only due to the fact that Larin has a big ass, which got in the way of Johnson's blast. I just don't understand how some here think we are going to score 2 goals in San Pedro Sula this time around. Who is going to score those goals? Benito? The only improvement I see this time around is in goal and that's why I predicted a 7-1 loss instead of the 8-1 shellacking we were handed 4 years ago.

In Honduras 1-1 
At home to El Salv, 1-1.

With the lineup :

------------------------Larin---------------------
Hoilett-------Johnson---Arfield-------Akindele
--------------------Hutchinson------------------
De Jong-------Edgar----Vitoria?-----Ledgerwood

Sub in Fraser Aird in the 60+, Ricketts 70, Piette 80

1-1 in Honduras

2-0 vs El Salvador

I believe we will score a late goal against Honduras to get the draw and we use our confidence to get the win in front of the home fans.

57 minutes ago, Bully said:

In Honduras 1-1 
At home to El Salv, 1-1.

With the lineup :

------------------------Larin---------------------
Hoilett-------Johnson---Arfield-------Akindele
--------------------Hutchinson------------------
De Jong-------Edgar----Vitoria?-----Ledgerwood

Sub in Fraser Aird in the 60+, Ricketts 70, Piette 80

With JDG out of the lineup, the mandatory Piette sub might not happen. 

a. Canada 1 Honduras 2

It'll be close but some CONCACAF shenanigans (bad penalty, 8 minutes of flopping but only 3 minutes of stoppage time, etc) will do us in one more time.

b. Canada 3 El Salvador 0

El Salvador will be eliminated and won't care. We'll pile it on.

c. Mexico will handily beat Honduras at home and we qualify second.

Mexico will want to rid themselves of the more dangerous and unpredictable Hondurans.

Side note: they just lost to Nigeria 3-2 in the Olympic Bronze medal game. They came back from 3-0 down in the last quarter hour. They never looked very good IMO but I only watched casually so take that for what it's worth.

Happy predicting!

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Side note: they just lost to Nigeria 3-2 in the Olympic Bronze medal game. They came back from 3-0 down in the last quarter hour. They never looked very good IMO but I only watched casually so take that for what it's worth.

Happy predicting!

I wasn't following the Olympic men's tournament. How many of the Honduran Olympic side are likely to feature for the National team? 3 or 4?

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

At least, maybe more. 

I haven't been following a great deal, but off the top of my head there is Lozano, Quioto and (giggle) Johnny Palacios. Oh yeah, and Johnny Leveron as well, for all you Whitecaps fans. 

Leveron was not on the Olympic team.

Palacios (CB), Acosta (DM) and Lozano (F) will likely play against us. Elis (F) and Quioto (RM/LM) could possibly play as well. The more the better.

Here are the players who have been called for both.

GK Luis Lopez

DF: Johhny Palacios, Brayan Garcia, Marcelo Pereira

MF: Bryan Acosta, Romell Quioto

FW: Anthony Lozano, Alberth Elis

Note that Allan Vargas who's the 24th player is also on the team.

I think that Palacios, Lozano, Elis, Quioto are the players who could play against us. 

Just to put things in perspective... we've scored 1 goal in 4 games so far. This includes our home game vs. Honduras and a game against El Salvador B. Mathematically, we are on pace for 0.5 goals in the final 2 games. I'll be optimistic and round UP:

Honduras 2 - 0 Canada

Canada 1 - 0 El Salvador

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Just to put things in perspective... we've scored 1 goal in 4 games so far. This includes our home game vs. Honduras and a game against El Salvador B. Mathematically, we are on pace for 0.5 goals in the final 2 games. I'll be optimistic and round UP:

Honduras 2 - 0 Canada

Canada 1 - 0 El Salvador

You always round up on .5 ;)

Canada 1 Honduras 1

El Salvador 0 Mexico 3

Canada 1 El Salvador 0

Mexico 2 Honduras 1

Mexico takes care of their business and doesn't give up a point.  

Canada grinds out a draw in Honduras and then defeats a down and out El Salvador side to take us to the Hex.  

This is happening everyone.

Dreamt about this last night...

Richard Hastings had a break early in the match and was all alone, danced by the keeper and cooly slotted it in for the 1-0 lead. BUT, it wasn't meant to be. Turned out the ref judged that he stomped on the keeper's foot while moving past him, called the goal back and gave him a yellow instead.

Honduras scored quickly after, but Gerba equalized before the half off a header. Turns out he was on trial with DC United and earned a call up.

Hondurass snatched the lead back late in the second half with a heartbreaker and won 2-1. 

54 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Dreamt about this last night...

Richard Hastings had a break early in the match and was all alone, danced by the keeper and cooly slotted it in for the 1-0 lead. BUT, it wasn't meant to be. Turned out the ref judged that he stomped on the keeper's foot while moving past him, called the goal back and gave him a yellow instead.

Honduras scored quickly after, but Gerba equalized before the half off a header. Turns out he was on trial with DC United and earned a call up.

Hondurass snatched the lead back late in the second half with a heartbreaker and won 2-1. 

now that 2nd Honduran goal, was it a PK after a phantom foul in the box on a Canadian defender when a Honduran dove, called by Benito Archundia? 

Because I've seen that movie before lol

58 minutes ago, Yohan said:

now that 2nd Honduran goal, was it a PK after a phantom foul in the box on a Canadian defender when a Honduran dove, called by Benito Archundia? 

I believe it was some scrappy as all hell shitty little toe poke over the line after a fortuitous bounce. Almost as bad. 

12 hours ago, Yohan said:

My hair still stands up on the back of my neck when I hear that refs(and I use that term lightly)name.

On 8/20/2016 at 11:59 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Honduras 2 - 0 Canada

Canada 1 - 0 El Salvador

Another sobering perspective is; "That It has been 5 hours and 40 minutes since we last scored a World Cup qualifying goal!"

Archived