2017 CONCACAF U-20 Championship

Ruffian

13 minutes ago, red card said:

Plus, both use managers who have failed to qualify more than once.

Rob Gale has only coached one u20 tournament. I think he deserved another chance with this cycle as he seemed to rectify a lot of the mistakes in preparation leading up to the tournament (pretty much all of our camps were in Central America unlike the 2015 cycle). 

Even though he did a much better job leading up to the tournament I'm still a bit skeptical about his tactics and game plan. Hopefully we rally and get a good result against Mexico.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Full time

Panama 1 USA 0.

Panama were a man down from the 17th minute onwards.

Central America bending over Canada and USA so far this tournament.

MLS sucks, we will never get better until we leave that loser league and form the glorious CPL[/mister215guy]

Just a question but how do we pick coaches to coach these U17 and U20 coaches, what kind of history do these coaches have, meaning have they actually ever coached high level teams where they had to coach to win and get results? Or are these coaches guys with high level coaching licences but have never been in a position where they had to win and get results. I find we put these coaches in these positions that yes have all the licensing creditionsls to coach , however, some of these coaches we hire seem to be guys who basically have backgrounds where they have had jobs like technical directors, camp directors even worked at different academies but when you look deeper they were never coaches of teams where the results were critical they are mainly guys that were have experience in trying to develop players but rather than in a position where they had to coach to win, then we hire guys like this and now they are put in positions where they need to get wins and results, which is slot different than coaching just to develop players . Maybe we need to also try hiring coaches that can develop but also have a history of winning and coaching actual teams, guys with winning records where they coached before. Maybe hire a successful say up and coming NCAA or even successful Canadian University or even college coaches, or say a successful USL coach or lower division European coach, coaches that have a past of winning, not just coaches that have high level coaching licences but have no history of any kind of winning records or even any real history of coaching actual teams. It seems these guys we hire have experiences as instructors but have never real coached any real teams.

48 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Just a question but how do we pick coaches to coach these U17 and U20 coaches, what kind of history do these coaches have, meaning have they actually ever coached high level teams where they had to coach to win and get results? Or are these coaches guys with high level coaching licences but have never been in a position where they had to win and get results. I find we put these coaches in these positions that yes have all the licensing creditionsls to coach , however, some of these coaches we hire seem to be guys who basically have backgrounds where they have had jobs like technical directors, camp directors even worked at different academies but when you look deeper they were never coaches of teams where the results were critical they are mainly guys that were have experience in trying to develop players but rather than in a position where they had to coach to win, then we hire guys like this and now they are put in positions where they need to get wins and results, which is slot different than coaching just to develop players . Maybe we need to also try hiring coaches that can develop but also have a history of winning and coaching actual teams, guys with winning records where they coached before. Maybe hire a successful say up and coming NCAA or even successful Canadian University or even college coaches, or say a successful USL coach or lower division European coach, coaches that have a past of winning, not just coaches that have high level coaching licences but have no history of any kind of winning records or even any real history of coaching actual teams. It seems these guys we hire have experiences as instructors but have never real coached any real teams.

Well said.  Also to add to the wrong reasons in hiring are personal preferences and political lobbying.

Spot on 1996. I was thinking in a similar vain hearing the criticisms of his substitutions and lack of adjustments to the Honduran coaches adjustments that perhaps Gale is more of a trainer/technical director and either lacking the experience or skill to identify tactics in-game.

Finally a player  who can deliver for Canada  

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-ends-concacaf-men-s-under-20-championship-with-positive-2-0-win-p160475 

Most of our elite 1997 talent are presently attending University and College in United states and Canada.

KT Great to see you representing Canada, this is motivation for a lot of the players that know and respect your ability. re enforcement is on the way, from  the elite 1997 boys, they will all try Canada again after graduation.  

11 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I believe we have also not qualified since the movement of minors statute was introduced by FIFA.

we were there in 2007 as host, then 2005, 2003 (Quarter-Finals), 2001, 1997 (Round of 16), 1987, 1985, 1979 since 1976

Then MLS era came .... Nothing

It might help our youth teams if Canada were to host a tournament again.  If I read Wiki right, Canada hasn't hosted the CONCACAF U20M since 2001 or the U17M since 2003.  It looks as though Canada and the USA (U17) haven't particularly tried to host anything recently as some of the other nations have hosted more than once in the two age categories.  (In the first decade of the new century CONCACAF was splitting teams into two tournaments, so 2 hosting spots were available)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Under-20_Championship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_U-17_Championship

Why haven't we been hosting lately?  Is it a question of venues or crowd numbers?

1 hour ago, ray said:

Why haven't we been hosting lately?  Is it a question of venues or crowd numbers?

I don't think it is crowd numbers. Have you seen some of the crowd sizes for games in these tournaments that don't include the host? There is nobody there besides family. With our multicultural make up, I pretty sure we could pull in better numbers for most games.

I think the main problem is the time of year when these events are played. They are usually in February. Vancouver or Victoria would be the only possible hosts. U17 qualifying is taking place in April, so that would be doable. However, do we have a city with 2 different venues that could make hosting possible?

I wouldn't get so worked up for this tournament. Mexico, and other super technical teams like them, have always looked miles a head of the competition at this level. I remember watching a EURO U21 match between Netherlands vs Spain 3 years back and it was no different than what we saw here between Canada vs Mexico, where you had one team pinging passes together, finding open space with ease, being constantly one step a head and closing them down quickly whereas the opposition always fell back to desperate defending and could barely string multiple positive passes together.

^^ Could also play it indoors (BC Place?) since there only appears to be one match at a time and groups play on different nights.  I don't know enough about the financial feasibility - whether the crowds could support the rental of the facility.  But yeah, our choice of venue seems somewhat limited.

33 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I wouldn't get so worked up for this tournament. Mexico, and other super technical teams like them, have always looked miles a head of the competition at this level. I remember watching a EURO U21 match between Netherlands vs Spain 3 years back and it was no different than what we saw here between Canada vs Mexico, where you had one team pinging passes together, finding open space with ease, being constantly one step a head and closing them down quickly whereas the opposition always fell back to desperate defending and could barely string multiple positive passes together.

I'm guessing it was the Dutch on the back foot?

Indeed.

A good 5/6 of the guys on that Netherlands squad ended up on the senior team that beat Spain 5-1 at the World Cup the following year. They all had a look of "We've seen this shit before, we know how to deal with it now." 

Lol, of course having the man helped as well.

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

we were there in 2007 as host, then 2005, 2003 (Quarter-Finals), 2001, 1997 (Round of 16), 1987, 1985, 1979 since 1976

Then MLS era came .... Nothing

Yes, but then FIFA introduced the FIFA statute limiting the movement of minors in 2008. Nothing since.

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

Another fact that shows that the status quo and our dependence on the USSF system has been a failure

Honestly finding and getting good youth players to play really isn't on USSF more on CSA right?

Just shows the youth programs are still working to improve the teaching of soccer to youth.

CSA have made steps in creating different youth programs to help with this situation and as always this will take time. 

I am hoping that they are looking throughout Canada...

Archived