2017 CONCACAF U-20 Championship

Ruffian

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I think Doughty played himself off the team. He wasnt even a part of the Panama squad, he pretty much never plays for his club. Maybe too tough to justify him on here

Yeah, my thoughts too. Might be wrong, but I honestly don't think he was asked. Liam is playing at a great level right now and seems significantly more talented.

FWIW I heard Tabla needs surgery on an injury if he is to be ready for the actual world cup.

As an Impact fan I really hope that is the case. I wouldn't want him taking the place of other young Canadian players.

There is an Impact Meet the Team event tonight maybe someone will ask him or management about this.

Some info on the GK situation from Neil Davidson. If I interpret this right, St. Clair would have been #6 on the depth chart at the position...

http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2017/02/09/canada-names-young-squad-for-concacaf-u-20-qualifier-in-costa-rica.html

Italy's Palermo declined to release youth goalkeeper Sebastian Breza because of injuries to other 'keepers.

Gale has seen one 'keeper drop after another with Christian Kaiswatum, Marvis Kreitling, Pantemis, Di Bennardo and Breza all unavailable for one reason or another. All five were No. 1 or No. 2 on his depth chart at some point.

"It's very unusual and very unfortunate," said the coach. "But it gives two others the chance."

Gales enters the tournament with Dayne St. Clair of the University of Maryland and Thomas Hasal of the Vancouver Whitecaps residency program as his options in goal. Both had been with the team in recent camps.

19 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Italy's Palermo declined to release youth goalkeeper Sebastian Breza because of injuries to other 'keepers.

http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2017/02/09/canada-names-young-squad-for-concacaf-u-20-qualifier-in-costa-rica.html

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

Clubs can not refuse a FIFA call up unless the player is injured....

:huh: So CAN clubs refuse or CAN'T they?

I spoke to a pro club secretary at a premier league club last week. The clubs can not refuse to release of a player for an official FIFA event(of which concacaf wc qualifying is) unless the player personally refuses the call up(not the club) or the player requested is injured or he is direct relief for a first team player that may be injured that is the case with the Palermo keeper Breza. He was on the bench for Palermo in the Serie A this weekend

It happened recently here with Joel Matip for Liverpool FC. Cameroon called him up for the Africans nations cup and Matip refused the call up because 1 he was retired from international duty and 2 lfc had a lot of fixtures and he is a key player. FIFA banned him from playing for LFC until the AFC was done.  Liverpool had to appeal it he missed 2 games I think... 

30 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I spoke to a pro club secretary at a premier league club last week. The clubs can not refuse to release of a player for an official FIFA event(of which concacaf wc qualifying is) unless the player personally refuses the call up(not the club) or the player requested is injured or he is direct relief for a first team player that may be injured that is the case with the Palermo keeper Breza. He was on the bench for Palermo in the Serie A this weekend

It happened recently here with Joel Matip for Liverpool FC. Cameroon called him up for the Africans nations cup and Matip refused the call up because 1 he was retired from international duty and 2 lfc had a lot of fixtures and he is a key player. FIFA banned him from playing for LFC until the AFC was done.  Liverpool had to appeal it he missed 2 games I think...

The CONCACAF U-20 isn't in the official FIFA event and isn't in a FIFA window,so clubs have the right to say no. If they make the U-20 World Cup, then they can pick any player without clubs blocking it. 

19 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Not really, it's actual game time that matters. Robert Stillo was on the bench for 15 games with Genoa 4 years ago and he was out of the game a year later...

Plus Palermo had two goalkeepers on the bench during that game. I'm pretty sure he's 5th on the depth chart because he doesn't start for the u19 team and there are 3 first team goalkeepers. It's unfortunate that he couldn't be here.

33 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

If this is true, Koffie is still eligible for Canada!

Not the same thing.

I meant isn't official because it isn't in the FIFA dates. So, clubs aren't forced to let their players go to international duty. If the event was played during international windows, clubs would have had to say yes to the matches played during the window. 

I get the negativity about Table not being there, but overall this team is quite strong. All of our top defence and forwards are there. Would be interesting to see what Zanatta and Miller can do together. It is unfortunate about the goalie situation. There is still some good depth in midfield. Will definitely middle Davies, Tabla, and Shome. Hopefully they will all be there if we qualify for the world cup.

Does anyone know if these games will be televised?

Has anybody watched Honduras First Division matches? Is there a big gap in quality with USL? I’m asking because I anticipate that winner between Canada and Honduras will finish second in the group. I’m looking at Honduras squad for the tournament and it looks they have a professionalized squad. Some of their players have already played a few seasons.  

Some of the names to watch, based on their playing time, are defenders Dylan Andrade (Platense), and Denil Maldonado (Motagua); midfielders Jose Quiroz (Real Espana), Rembrandt Flores (Olimpia) and Foslyn Grant (Motagua); forwards Jeancarlo Vargas (Platense) and Sendel Cruz (Juticalpa).

Just now, canucklefan said:

Rembrandt Flores (Olimpia)

Olimpia would beat any USL team hands down. It all depends how many minutes those guys are getting at their clubs but the level is a little higher.

Different context but remeber that Diego Gutiérrez was looked at once by the Chile U-20s and was "not good enough" to even give him minutes at the friendly they played at that camp. That's the Chile U-20 side that just crashed out of CONMEBOL qualifying with the 2nd to worse record. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_South_American_Youth_Football_Championship

He walked right onto our team and I think, since we have no Davies & no Tabla that he will be a starter.

2 hours ago, canucklefan said:

Has anybody watched Honduras First Division matches? Is there a big gap in quality with USL? I’m asking because I anticipate that winner between Canada and Honduras will finish second in the group. I’m looking at Honduras squad for the tournament and it looks they have a professionalized squad. Some of their players have already played a few seasons.  

Some of the names to watch, based on their playing time, are defenders Dylan Andrade (Platense), and Denil Maldonado (Motagua); midfielders Jose Quiroz (Real Espana), Rembrandt Flores (Olimpia) and Foslyn Grant (Motagua); forwards Jeancarlo Vargas (Platense) and Sendel Cruz (Juticalpa).

Higher level of play than USL 

Archived