2017 CONCACAF U-20 Championship

Ruffian

12 hours ago, shermanator said:

A good article by @squizz1402635577 on the great work Rob Gale is doing in bringing dual nationals into the fold at the U-20 level.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/global-scouting-canada-men-longtime-misfortune-analysis?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_m_medium=t

Just to add to the conversation about a supposed change throughout the program, I have heard it is very much a team effort at keeping in contact with these dual-nationals, and getting them to come out to youth national team camps. Not to take anything away from Gale ( I am sure he is playing his part at bringing these new players in too), but the impression I got was there are a number of individuals doing good work in pursuing these players and changing the perception of the program. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Just to add to the conversation about a supposed change throughout the program, I have heard it is very much a team effort at keeping in contact with these dual-nationals, and getting them to come out to youth national team camps. Not to take anything away from Gale ( I am sure he is playing his part at bringing these new players in too), but the impression I got was there are a number of individuals doing good work in pursuing these players and changing the perception of the program. 

That certainly seems to be the case as Rob Gale has mentioned the same thing in interviews a couple of times (that there are multiple people doing a lot of behind the scenes work on this front). The short-short version seems to be that there are multiple people putting in a lot of work behind the scenes, and the results are quite telling.

16 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

That certainly seems to be the case as Rob Gale has mentioned the same thing in interviews a couple of times (that there are multiple people doing a lot of behind the scenes work on this front). The short-short version seems to be that there are multiple people putting in a lot of work behind the scenes, and the results are quite telling.

So you're saying it's not just Floro.

52 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Be warned, that I've had problems in the past with CONCACAF Facebook streams (for Champions League) in Firefox and had to switch to Google Chrome.

And we have all had problems watching the last Canada friendly on Facebook.

I'm travelling tomorrow (me and the missus) to San Jose direct from London, 11 1/2 flight ekk!  And will be happy to give updates and feedback...

Looking forward to some really great soccer...

My only last comment and it may not be popular is that I hope we have the courage to play the best, most fit, in form players not the names and past performances.(Which we did at the U17 qualifiers)

No matter their age or club they play for. I really mean that. 

We need to put the best team out their with the best chance of winning.. no matter what and also have a go, go at them and play, we have a really talented bunch of players that given freedom and opportunity may surprise most people I for one am sick of defensive hope for the best soccer...

4 hours ago, Ruffian said:

CONCACAF U20 will be broadcast on Facebook

Why has concacaf moved to over to the closed system facebook instead of showing it on their website? Plus, facebook video has been buggy for me even when using Chrome or the source feed hasn't worked.

The matches are also supposed to be on Univision Deportes. The CCL worked well for on Facebook last year and I wasn't on chrome, so I'm hopeful that works. Liga MX and Univision are streaming 46 Mexican league matches on facebook starting this weekend. So it seems to be a popular distribution format. 

cheers,

matthew

Popular distribution format may be jumping the gun.

Instead, facebook has outbid other platforms like twitter or youtube or was the only bidder for these video rights in order to become a popular distribution format. And possibly their sports focus has switched to soccer since they lost the nfl rights to twitter.

3 hours ago, red card said:

Why has concacaf moved to over to the closed system facebook instead of showing it on their website?

1) Maybe because it will then be easier to track and "engage" the viewers through a social media platform like facebook

2) It may be slightly easier to prevent piracy if the stream is only visible if you've logged into your account

3) So we can all laugh at the incredibly terrible commentators they have (at least for CCL). They really need Mad Bull and Maestro or maybe BeIN's Ray Hudson. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQaa86QkO6k

Starting XI: http://www.concacaf.com/category/under-20s-men/game-detail/381013

Hasal

Brault-Guillard     Sadiki          Meilleur-Giguere      Boakye

Uccello                Fraser         Borges                      Twardek

Millar           Zanatta

The positions don't seem exactly correct on the online teamsheet, so a couple are educated guesses

The similarity with the way US & Canada played their first match is that both moved the ball nicely in the back & middle but had no creative ideas in the final third. Or as Ray Hudson would say, "without penetration, it's just masturbation, and right now, we're playing with ourselves". This is actually an improvement for Canada at least but the spaces between the 3 lines was too much.

Plus, both use managers who have failed to qualify more than once.

The difference is that the US played with some purpose (though being up a man and down a goal for over half the match probably was the main reason) while Canada didn't except for the last 10 mins and small portions of the first half.

Sad!

11 minutes ago, red card said:

The similarity with the way US & Canada played their first match is that both moved the ball nicely in the back & middle but had no creative ideas in the final third. Or as Ray Hudson would say, "without penetration, it's just masturbation, and right now, we're playing with ourselves". This is actually an improvement for Canada at least but the spaces between the 3 lines was too much.

Plus, both use managers who have failed to qualify more than once.

The difference is that the US played with some purpose (though being up a man and down a goal for over half the match probably was the main reason) while Canada didn't except for the last 10 mins and small portions of the first half.

Sad!

I think players like Reid and Ewart would have been helpful. They might have been able to create on their own up top. We were missing some pace and 1v1 ability.

I'd argue  players like Uccello are what we've produced in previous cycles. Play it safe, non creative midfielders in the KYle Bekker mould that just occupy space.

Archived