WCQ Honduras - Canada 2 Sept Pre-game

xabuep2

While we're on the topic of weather

34 C, feels like 42-45C during the match, with 5 mm of rain or so forecasted between 1-7 PM SPS time.

Sounds like a good jog.

Also, betting odds with adjusted percentages!  Odds people think we have a 47% chance of a positive result.  Draw your own conclusions.

Honduras (-138, 53%), Draw (+230, 28%), Canada (+375, 19%)

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, theaub said:

Everything there is what I want to hear from a manager...its just tough when you juxtapose it with the actual results on the field (in all fairness to Floro, the one time he opened up a bit we missed a bunch of sitters and got run out of Vancouver by Mexico).

Reflecting on this comment kind of brings back memories.  I watched the Mexico-Canada game, along with the away game in El Salvador with a good friend of mine, he's a casual soccer fan.  I convinced him to watch the Canada -Mexico game cause I said, "History with the sell out and you could watch one of the biggest results in Canadian soccer history" he is a big sports fan and agreed.

His comment after the game was, "Mexico is a good team, we played decent but man our forwards and strikers suck".  I took it personal cause I am a huge Larin fan.  He basically said the same thing after the El Salvador game when we missed 3-4 quality chances.

Larin is in form, Arfield is ready, Hoilett will be a difference make. We are going to find the back of the net in Honduras, I just know it! Here is to hoping our make shift D is able to hold the fort!  Man I wish it was Friday already. 

21 hours ago, canta15 said:

Interesting that the game is also going to be shown on BEIN sports.

Bein owns CONCACAF away qualifying rights. For instance, US away matches are also on Bein. They broadcast Canada in ES. TSN & Bein have some sort of agreement since they share Champions League. 

8 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Larin has not been the best when wearing a Canada kit, but hopefully that will all change this Friday

Larin does well when the ball is basically fed into him in the box.  He doesn't do that well when he has to take the ball and run 1/3 or 1/2 of the field.

Canada doesn't usually have the ball deep in the offensive end enough to fully utilize Larin imo.

9 hours ago, reme90 said:

Fantastic interview with Benito Floro with a Miami radio station. Sometimes I feel we really don't appreciate his pedigree. No Canadian coach has ever understood the game quite like him, even under Osieck.

http://fdpradio.com/benito-floro-el-futbol-es-un-juego-para-ganar/

Sorry it's in Spanish, both the article and the radio interview. 

A couple of highlights: 

The base of the team is the same for a long time now.

He says he never sets up his team to defend the penalty box. He doesn't believe in parking the bus. Even when he has faced powerful teams. But rather if you only have a 20% chance of winning than to focus on executing that 20%.

Orlando was chosen for weather but it's been cold and raining.

He doesn't take this game as a "final" but understands it's importance. He believes Goal Difference is a factor and El Salvador can surprise, even Mexico.

Guzmán injured otherwise he has the squad he needs to get a result. No other injuries in the squad, everyone is healthy.

He's reviewed the 8-1 game 3 times extensively.

He wants his players to be the protagonists in the game. Soccer is played to win.

There is no greater mental preparedness than a player understanding what he can't do and what he should do. He's been working hard on that with the team. Feels that often coaches ask their players to die on the field for the team without telling them how to play the game. Effort is not our problem but game decisions and understanding is. He feels we have the right mindset and character to execute the plan. 

Was asked what his game plan was and he said "I'll give you the answer that all wise managers do; that they have their qualities and we will try to reduce them. You can never eliminate them. You have your own qualities and you try to maximize them. Score when you have the ball and don't let them score when they have it"

He feels arguments about heat, time of day, crowd etc are all excuses. The heat affects their heart and kidneys the same as ours. One minute into the game the players should be aclimatized.

Was pressed on how important the game was and he said the "finals" is when it's do or die and we are not there yet. He acknowledged that the results if they were drastic could leave us with no recourse but that only after the game we cam say if it's truly over. (Minimizing pressure on players?)

I think people give Floro way too much of a hard time. He can only work with the talent he has around him. Clearly, he wants players who are good, committed and understand his system inside and out. I think if we were to pull in Guardiola, Ferguson or anyone else we would still be struggling to get to the Hex because of our talent pool. We are getting better, no doubt but we are don't have either a. the depth of talent or b. the intrinsic understanding of a system and style of play that is ingrained in our DNA that many other countries have. I might be in the minority but I think if we make the HEx this is entirely on Floro for pulling in good players and for putting in a system that players believe in and execute. Read interviews with the players, almost to a man they say how they are learning a level of tactics and execution they have not had before with the National team. 

10 hours ago, reme90 said:

There is no greater mental preparedness than a player understanding what he can't do and what he should do. He's been working hard on that with the team. Feels that often coaches ask their players to die on the field for the team without telling them how to play the game. Effort is not our problem but game decisions and understanding is. He feels we have the right mindset and character to execute the plan.

Thanks for the translation.

I think this point reflects his philosophy of building a club side mentality within the squad and recognizing that everyone's a role player.  And with that, I think he helps take away the pressure from specific individuals and puts it on his shoulders.

So what will the lineup be?

--------------------------------- Larin -----------------------------------

------ Hoilett ------------------------------------------ Ricketts ------

------------------- Arfield ----------------- ????? ---------------------

--------------------------------Hutchinson -----------------------------

de Jong --- Jakvoic/Edgar/Vitoria/James --- Ledgerwood/Henry

7 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Thanks for the translation.

I think this point reflects his philosophy of building a club side mentality within the squad and recognizing that everyone's a role player.  And with that, I think he helps take away the pressure from specific individuals and puts it on his shoulders.

I think we really underestimate how badly the Canadian player is prepared in this country.

We are both tactically naive and technically deficient. Even players like Larin who are good prospects for us have never faced legitimate world class players or been in high pressure games.

With all due respect to Sigma and US college ball, Larin never met a real player until he shook Kaka's hand in Orlando.

In other countries young players practice in the shadow of Legends and against future legends. Going to international tournaments against top clubs and countries.

I say all this to emphasize how much work Floro has had to do. Which explains his reliance on players like Deguzman. 

He's asking his players to play with more than just grit and determination.  He's asking them to play with intelligence. 

35 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

I think people give Floro way too much of a hard time. He can only work with the talent he has around him. Clearly, he wants players who are good, committed and understand his system inside and out. I think if we were to pull in Guardiola, Ferguson or anyone else we would still be struggling to get to the Hex because of our talent pool. We are getting better, no doubt but we are don't have either a. the depth of talent or b. the intrinsic understanding of a system and style of play that is ingrained in our DNA that many other countries have. I might be in the minority but I think if we make the HEx this is entirely on Floro for pulling in good players and for putting in a system that players believe in and execute. Read interviews with the players, almost to a man they say how they are learning a level of tactics and execution they have not had before with the National team. 

I completely agree. Even with choices like not calling in Osorio, which I thought was a shoe-in as the only Canadian with starting minutes in club football, I can't but help understand that he knows which players are needed to execute his plan.

Besides it should take more than making a team to play for your country. The higher he raises the bar the higher our players can rise.

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Larin does well when the ball is basically fed into him in the box.  He doesn't do that well when he has to take the ball and run 1/3 or 1/2 of the field.

Canada doesn't usually have the ball deep in the offensive end enough to fully utilize Larin imo.

I'm talking about his misses on 1v1 chances. Like the El Salvador gold cup game.

5 minutes ago, reme90 said:

I think we really underestimate how badly the Canadian player is prepared in this country.

(cut)

I say all this to emphasize how much work Floro has had to do. Which explains his reliance on players like Deguzman. 

He's asking his players to play with more than just grit and determination.  He's asking them to play with intelligence. 

I don't think it is underestimated (generally), hence the DeVos position yesterday.  But agree with the Floro assesment. I don't agree with everything he's done but he knows a hell of a lot more than me (along with probably 99% of people on here lol)  After four years ago no one thought Canada would be this close to making the Hex, but we've seen the improved results and recruiting and people get their hopes and expectations up and with that comes the arm chair quarterbacking (centerbacking?)

Hex or not, I've enjoyed the ride so far and think the program has made good strides and is heading in the right direction. 

The one interesting subtext from reading a lot of the Honduran media stories (both in the news and comments on stories) is the general acceptance that if El Salvador loses to Mexico on Friday, they will bring the equivalent of a 2012 Cuba side to Vancouver.  And concurrently that Honduras is going to get the living shit kicked out of them in Mexico (like every score prediction I've seen has been 3 or 4 to nil).

I don't know if that's just the general pessimism regarding the team (if we made two straight World Cup and played in a bronze medal game in the Olympics I'd like to think we'd be somewhat optimistic), but it does make you wonder if Honduras is just going to throw the house at us and there will be some counter opportunities.  

Its also funny because I think a lot of us have the exact opposite idea of Mexico rolling over for them and us not being able to score more than a goal because we never score anyways.

25 minutes ago, theaub said:

but it does make you wonder if Honduras is just going to throw the house at us and there will be some counter opportunities.

This could happen also because Honduras is thinking they must take 3 pts from this game.   A draw for them will put them in a tough position going into Mexico most likely needing a result. (assuming we get a result at home).   I think the longer this game goes scoreless the more they open up giving us even more opportunity.   We'll see.   

47 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Conversely, I think that we've had guys in previous WCQ squads who have overestimated their importance and roles. 

Because in part due to Floro and 8-1, we had less of this issue in this cycle. But instead because we have now MLS club beat writers and also overlapping club & national team supporters who first and largely focus on the players who didn't make it from the team they cover/follow. This overstates the importance of certain players and deemphasizes the national team perspective.

For example, the original article on sportsnet on the roster announcement by John Molinaro was largely about 2 TFC players who didn't make it. No specific mention of any players from any other clubs who made it or didn't including from the Whitecaps.  

31 minutes ago, theaub said:

The one interesting subtext from reading a lot of the Honduran media stories (both in the news and comments on stories) is the general acceptance that if El Salvador loses to Mexico on Friday, they will bring the equivalent of a 2012 Cuba side to Vancouver.  And concurrently that Honduras is going to get the living shit kicked out of them in Mexico (like every score prediction I've seen has been 3 or 4 to nil).

I don't know if that's just the general pessimism regarding the team (if we made two straight World Cup and played in a bronze medal game in the Olympics I'd like to think we'd be somewhat optimistic), but it does make you wonder if Honduras is just going to throw the house at us and there will be some counter opportunities.  

Its also funny because I think a lot of us have the exact opposite idea of Mexico rolling over for them and us not being able to score more than a goal because we never score anyways.

Honduras knows that their shot to qualify is this Friday. What better conditions can they ask for?

At home, against an opponent that crumbled last time they were there, with an added incentive that if they don't win they face a must win against Mexico?

Oh yeah, they are coming guns blazing. The Honduran players love this kind of game though.

The saving grace for us is the longer the game goes the more they will risk going forward and the more the crowd will turn on them and the more the pressure shifts from us to them.

1 hour ago, Boominbooty said:

In no way do I think people give Floro too hard of a time. In any other nation, passionate football fans who are knowledgeable about the game would question many of the same decisions we do, as they are difficult to understand and go against conventional wisdom. At the same time, I recognize he has earned the right to make these decisions and I am okay with that until he fails to do what he has set out to. With that said, he was basically brought in for THIS game, against THIS opponent, in THIS circumstance; needing a result away against Honduras. If we don't get a result here he will deserve to be fired as it seems his tactics of four years have almost been to prep the squad for this game to get a result.

If we don't get a result in this game, I am absolutely going to question his overall tactical homogeneity. You could argue that we have the most offensive talent assembled in a Canadian team, maybe ever, yet, we play so deep we have a hard time keeping any possession at all. With the quality of Larin-Hutch-Arfield-Hoillett as an attacking unit, we absolutely have the chops to play a more attacking game at home, yet Floro has stuck to his "base" tactic and we've seen negative football and very few goals. So if his goal is to keep us sturdy at the back at all costs (despite a roster with more attacking talent than defensive talent), he better get the job done when it matters.

With an eye for balance, what I will give him his due for is convincing and recruiting players to play for Canada. I think he's done an excellent job in this respect, though some of it is invariably luck in getting players at the right time of their careers to do so. Nonetheless, he deserves credit for this and as a CMNT fan starved for fence-sitters to choose our way, he's hit the spot.

This is what I think Floro will do...

-------------Larin----------

Hoilett-----------------Ricketts

-------Edgar----Arfield--------

------------Atiba---------------

De Jong-----------------Henry

-------Straith----Jakovic------

--------------Borjan------------

Piette, ledgerwood and Straith (can move up) are midfield cover with Ouimette backing up both fullback positions (Hainault in a pinch).

Archived