WCQ Honduras - Canada 2 Sept Pre-game

xabuep2

6 hours ago, Scottie said:

Haha, i was road tripping at the time and made a point to sit down in a cafe with free wifi. By the time I had the stream up and running on my laptop it was 2-0. I don't think I even made it to halftime.

Hey Scottie weren't you working at Joes Garage around that time ?lol

I remember I was gonna see if you wanted to watch a game together in Welly. Went in to Joes but never did catch ya, Might have been for one of the other qualifiers.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Floortom said:

taking a lead in this game will be huge IMO. I don't believe we can hang on to 0-0 for 90 minutes. 

I agree, the more the game goes 0-0 the more the chances we see a flop in the box.

Who am I kidding were gonna see that all game long regardless.

46 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Didn't we hit a post and miss another glorious chance in that game 4 years ago before Honduras scored their first? That's what pissed me off the most, that we could have easily been up 2-0 before it all went downhill.

Ricketts and  Jackson I believe were the squandered opportunities...

It's nervous times like these that I'm most thankful I have this forum to turn to. We're really the only people who understand what one another is going through. I'm too nervous to sleep atm. I'm not super optimistic but sometimes in life, good things happen.

Heat will be tough but it is what it is. You gotta be able to get an away result here and there if you wanna qualify for the hex (let alone the world cup). I just hope we keep some possession and don't just park it. Defending for 90 minutes is too big an ask I think. 

We'll need to score in order to get a result. Not out of the question. Larin is overdue for a quality finish. Hell we scored one last time we played them there. Just gotta do the same and maybe defend slightly better :wacko:

We don't get to watch meaningful games all that often. Enjoy the moment boys (and girls), we're all in this together :)

Gotta be honest I'm not feeling good about the game. If Honduras plays the way they did against the US in the last Gold Cup then you can forget about getting a goal. Would have been a comfortable win if that game was at Honduras where they are a different animal (got 7 points at home off USA, Mexico, and the best Costa Rica in years in the last WC qualifiers). Realistic score line should be 2-0 Honduras. Best case scenario that I could see happening is a 0-0 draw and it all comes down to the last game. In this case I could see us winning against ELS at home and Mexico beating Honduras. Mexico isn't a minnow nor do they follow Minnow mentality and will go for the kill/win against Honduras especially at home with most if not all 1st team players. I see us playing for the draw. We're not talented enough to consistently look dangerous in the final third especially not talented enough to play attacking football vs Honduras away, Pinto in that case would be begging for us to play attacking football so his squad could tear us apart on a counter. I could see Floro maybe trying at best to play some possession soccer but still rather unlikely. I see defensive/counter being the mindset fore this game. We can have our first shot at playing real attacking soccer against ELS.

4 minutes ago, gator said:

I don't like the fact that the ref is inexperienced and Spanish speaking, it has an undeserved penalty or Red Card written all over it, I guess this guy at least didn't publicly express his admiration for the way the Hondurans play soccer!

I looked up some of his stats.   3 out of his last 4 games there has been a red(not all straight reds) and ALOT of yellows. 

32 minutes ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

It's amazing to think four years has gone by since this last game.  Weird emotions today.

That game took place when I started high school. Now high school is over. Time flys 

18 minutes ago, gator said:

I don't like the fact that the ref is inexperienced and Spanish speaking, it has an undeserved penalty or Red Card written all over it, I guess this guy at least didn't publicly express his admiration for the way the Hondurans play soccer!

According to this: http://www.worldfootball.net/referee_summary/yadel-martinez/ he has never given any straight red or 2 yellows and red. 

10 minutes ago, canta15 said:

That game took place when I started high school. Now high school is over. Time flys 

Yeah, four years ago I was going into grade 12 and now I'm starting the last year of my undergrad. Who knows where I'll be the next time Canada plays a crucial WCQ in Honduras...

ps, does anyone know if there'll be water breaks for this game? I'm pretty sure FIFA has rules about this, but I feel like the referee will just disregard it unless the Hondurans blatantly ask for them.

"That game took place when I started high school. Now high school is over. Time flys" 

"Yeah, four years ago I was going into grade 12 and now I'm starting the last year of my undergrad. Who knows where I'll be the next time Canada plays a crucial WCQ in Honduras"...

Wow, some of you V's are still quite young and are yet to be completely broken by years of supporting our MNT! :D

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎07 at 4:20 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

To those advocating games in cold weather climates has it occurred to you that maybe our players don't want to play in those conditions? Many of the guys have talked about how great it was to play in Vancouver and how it was extra motivation so I would stick to that.

For a chance to play in a World Cup tournament, I would bet anything that our guys would have the "Rocky IV" training in the Canadian north just for a chance to play 20 minutes in a World Cup match. Our boys would play anywhere, anyhow for that ultimate goal

Anytime I hear the word "Honduras", I think of being personally at that disgusting September day in Montreal in 2008, the Gold Cup QF loss in 2009 in Philadelphia and that 0-0 in Toronto last qualifying cycle when a win would have made 8-1 irrelevant.  In fact, friends have told me that I have an unhealthy "obsession" with the entire nation of Honduras. 

I hope September 2, 2016 won't be added to that line of grim history in Canadian soccer and that I can move on with my life.. 

Archived