WCQ Honduras - Canada 2 Sept Pre-game

xabuep2

28 minutes ago, David C. said:

He mentions that Jamar Dixon is apparently very fast and versatile (can play numerous positions).

It's one of his biggest pluses for the national team. He can play on either wing, in central midfield and he has played as a RWB for Ottawa a lot since joining the club.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, spinrack said:

The timing of this match is somewhat bizarre.  A kickoff of 4pm local time seems quite early.  It's like CONCACAF doesn't want the majority of the Canadian audience to see the game, as most of us will be at work, or just barely finished for the day.

Host federation chooses the time. The time was chosen by honduras as high noon to make our players melt under the heat. 

Tv viewership in canada was never part of Honduras' decision. 

13 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Also how does arfield not start? 

a - He isn't used to the heat, humidity and atmosphere of playing in Honduras?

b - He is being saved as a second half surprise substitute?

c - He doesn't fit in Floro's 7-man defensive bunker?

d - The practice line-up doesn't reflect the game line-up and he will indeed start?

B)

Thirty six years of this and you'd think it would get easier. It's all I can think about. I feel positive but I felt positive every other time. The 8-1 last time is indicative of Honduras' ability to capitalize on momentum. Look what they did against Nigeria in bronze medal game-two quick goals. When we have been successful down there (1985, 1993) we didn't let them score early and gain momentum. They always seem to be a streaky type of team. 

35 minutes ago, spinrack said:

I dunno about that.

A tie leaves Canada and Honduras equal on points.  It then comes down to how seriously Mexico decides to take their last game.

I'd say it would all come down to how seriously Canada decides to take their last match.  

If Arfield is saved as an early second half sub I'm not completely against this, but if the plan is to bunker for 55min then sub off a midfielder and try to pop a goal on the counter... why the hell isn't Will Johnson down their!

Re: Dixon, I think it very well might be that he's got the tools to be a good right back, but FFS he's got 1 cap and has probably never played a game in front of more than about 10,000 fans! Tweets like Gavin Day's make me nervous. I don't care how well he's been doing in practice.

1:00 PM 
thunderstorm.svgz?1
FRI, SEP 2

Thunderstorms

95° 110°  65% 56% ENE 4 mph
2:00 PM 
thunderstorm.svgz?1
FRI, SEP 2

Thunderstorms

94° 112°  60% 60% NE 6 mph
3:00 PM 
scattered-thunderstorms.svgz?1
FRI, SEP 2

Scattered Thunderstorms

92° 110°  40% 66% NNE 8 mph
4:00 PM 
isolated-thunderstorms.svgz?1
FRI, SEP 2

Isolated Thunderstorms

89° 105°  35% 72% NNE 9 mph
5:00 PM 
mostly-cloudy.svgz?1
FRI, SEP 2

Mostly Cloudy

87° 102°  25% 77% NNE 9 mph

Hoping for lightning to delay kickoff.  

6 hours ago, Supersonic78 said:

So vivid in my mind, four years ago rushing home early from work -- it was a 2:45 or 3:45 pm EST kickoff. Within 20 mins it was all over. Devastating.

It's gonna be so very different tomorrow. It has to be. 

Haha, i was road tripping at the time and made a point to sit down in a cafe with free wifi. By the time I had the stream up and running on my laptop it was 2-0. I don't think I even made it to halftime.

7 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Didn't we hit a post and miss another glorious chance in that game 4 years ago before Honduras scored their first? That's what pissed me off the most, that we could have easily been up 2-0 before it all went downhill.

Ricketts missed a sitter and Simeon Jackson hit the post IIRC.

taking a lead in this game will be huge IMO. I don't believe we can hang on to 0-0 for 90 minutes. 

Archived