WCQ Honduras - Canada 2 Sept Pre-game

xabuep2

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Incredible. I wonder if his personal issues bubbled over tonight when he got red carded for an elbow late in the game?

btw Mejia is back at Marathon. Honduras will probably go with Claros beside Acosta now.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alberth Elis has signed with Liga MX side Monterrey

http://www.laprensa.hn/deportes/993949-410/turco-mohamed-alberth-elis-nos-puede-dar-esa-frescura-que-estamos-buscando

and apparently he will be joining their U20 team:

http://www.diez.hn/futboldeprimera/993559-99/según-espn-méxico-alberth-elis-va-a-la-sub-20-del-monterrey-como

Anthony Lozano scored for Tenerife yesterday. Not good news for us...

3 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Alberth Elis has signed with Liga MX side Monterrey

http://www.laprensa.hn/deportes/993949-410/turco-mohamed-alberth-elis-nos-puede-dar-esa-frescura-que-estamos-buscando

Anthony Lozano scored for Tenerife yesterday. Not good news for us...

...and you seemed quite content to see their U-23s play... They've got quality players moving up the ranks.

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

...and you seemed quite content to see their U-23s play... They've got quality players moving up the ranks.

I'm still content to see them play. Much rather have a 20 yr old who has proven nothing in Mexico than guys like David Suazo, Carlos Pavon or Carlos Costly from previous cycles.

8 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I'm still content to see them play. Much rather have a 20 yr old who has proven nothing in Mexico than guys like David Suazo, Carlos Pavon or Carlos Costly from previous cycles.

You seem to be the most knowledgable person on the Honduran team, what do you think their starting 11 will look like 

I think Mario Martinez is a dangerous player for them in midfield. He really hurt us last cycle in SPS and forced two saves from Borjan in Vancouver IIRC. Him being ruled out would be bigger for me than Espinoza, but I am happy to hear he won't be playing nonetheless.

I'm definitely not as knowledgeable as jpg75, but I'd say on the backline Mayor Figueroa will be a CB and Izzaguire of Celtic will be at LB. I think Beckeles (who plays in 2nd division Mexico) will be the RB and maybe Johnny Palacios will be the fourth guy. That would give them an experienced, physical back four to match up with our athletic attackers.

20 minutes ago, shorty said:

Tesho, you would think, would be able to give a good scouting report on his club teammate Figueroa.  Interestingly, Tesho and Figueroa assisted separate Michael Barrios goals yesterday against Houston.

I think that Figueroa would give Honduras more information on Tesho than Tesho has on Figueroa. (Many reasons, but mostly that one's played against Canada 4 times in 4 years and the other  has played 9 minutes against Honduras.)

----------------------------Escober-----------------------

Beckeles----Palacios-Figueroa-Izzaguirre

------------------Acosta----Claros---------------------

Martinez------------------------------------B.Garcia

-----------------------Elis----Lozano--------------------

Typical Honduran 4-4-2, unless they go 4-2-3-1 which they have played from time to time. Then i would assume:

Elis------------------Martinez-------------B.Garcia

-------------------------Lozano-------------------------

But Quioto could play out on the wing and that would likely mean Martinez out (and B.Garcia in the middle).

4 minutes ago, shorty said:

I believe it says that he has a sore throat and is not training, but that his participation in the game Friday is not in jeopardy.  (native speakers please feel free to correct me)

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/995002-99/romell-quioto-sufre-faringitis-y-no-entrenó-con-la-selección-de-honduras

Ok thanks. Thought it was more serious.

Fantastic interview with Benito Floro with a Miami radio station. Sometimes I feel we really don't appreciate his pedigree. No Canadian coach has ever understood the game quite like him, even under Osieck.

http://fdpradio.com/benito-floro-el-futbol-es-un-juego-para-ganar/

Sorry it's in Spanish, both the article and the radio interview. 

A couple of highlights: 

The base of the team is the same for a long time now.

He says he never sets up his team to defend the penalty box. He doesn't believe in parking the bus. Even when he has faced powerful teams. But rather if you only have a 20% chance of winning than to focus on executing that 20%.

Orlando was chosen for weather but it's been cold and raining.

He doesn't take this game as a "final" but understands it's importance. He believes Goal Difference is a factor and El Salvador can surprise, even Mexico.

Guzmán injured otherwise he has the squad he needs to get a result. No other injuries in the squad, everyone is healthy.

He's reviewed the 8-1 game 3 times extensively.

He wants his players to be the protagonists in the game. Soccer is played to win.

There is no greater mental preparedness than a player understanding what he can't do and what he should do. He's been working hard on that with the team. Feels that often coaches ask their players to die on the field for the team without telling them how to play the game. Effort is not our problem but game decisions and understanding is. He feels we have the right mindset and character to execute the plan. 

Was asked what his game plan was and he said "I'll give you the answer that all wise managers do; that they have their qualities and we will try to reduce them. You can never eliminate them. You have your own qualities and you try to maximize them. Score when you have the ball and don't let them score when they have it"

He feels arguments about heat, time of day, crowd etc are all excuses. The heat affects their heart and kidneys the same as ours. One minute into the game the players should be aclimatized.

Was pressed on how important the game was and he said the "finals" is when it's do or die and we are not there yet. He acknowledged that the results if they were drastic could leave us with no recourse but that only after the game we cam say if it's truly over. (Minimizing pressure on players?)

8 hours ago, reme90 said:

Fantastic interview with Benito Floro with a Miami radio station. Sometimes I feel we really don't appreciate his pedigree. No Canadian coach has ever understood the game quite like him, even under Osieck.

http://fdpradio.com/benito-floro-el-futbol-es-un-juego-para-ganar/

Sorry it's in Spanish, both the article and the radio interview. 

A couple of highlights: 

The base of the team is the same for a long time now.

He says he never sets up his team to defend the penalty box. He doesn't believe in parking the bus. Even when he has faced powerful teams. But rather if you only have a 20% chance of winning than to focus on executing that 20%.

Orlando was chosen for weather but it's been cold and raining.

He doesn't take this game as a "final" but understands it's importance. He believes Goal Difference is a factor and El Salvador can surprise, even Mexico.

Guzmán injured otherwise he has the squad he needs to get a result. No other injuries in the squad, everyone is healthy.

He's reviewed the 8-1 game 3 times extensively.

He wants his players to be the protagonists in the game. Soccer is played to win.

There is no greater mental preparedness than a player understanding what he can't do and what he should do. He's been working hard on that with the team. Feels that often coaches ask their players to die on the field for the team without telling them how to play the game. Effort is not our problem but game decisions and understanding is. He feels we have the right mindset and character to execute the plan. 

Was asked what his game plan was and he said "I'll give you the answer that all wise managers do; that they have their qualities and we will try to reduce them. You can never eliminate them. You have your own qualities and you try to maximize them. Score when you have the ball and don't let them score when they have it"

He feels arguments about heat, time of day, crowd etc are all excuses. The heat affects their heart and kidneys the same as ours. One minute into the game the players should be aclimatized.

Was pressed on how important the game was and he said the "finals" is when it's do or die and we are not there yet. He acknowledged that the results if they were drastic could leave us with no recourse but that only after the game we cam say if it's truly over. (Minimizing pressure on players?)

Thanks for the translation. That's pretty interesting stuff. 

Well its supposed to feel like 100 today in Orlando so at least that problem will be solved

Everything there is what I want to hear from a manager...its just tough when you juxtapose it with the actual results on the field (in all fairness to Floro, the one time he opened up a bit we missed a bunch of sitters and got run out of Vancouver by Mexico).

But I always do wonder if the mentality when we went into SPS four years ago was 'draw or bust,' because as anyone who's played any sport at a remotely high level knows, if you go in there with that mentality you're going to lose 100% of the time.  We don't need to start controlling the game or throwing our fullbacks forward or anything, but if Floro can get the team to believe they can win that's half the mental battle.  

Archived