WCQ Honduras - Canada 2 Sept Pre-game

xabuep2

20 minutes ago, koolvid said:

According to this: http://www.worldfootball.net/referee_summary/yadel-martinez/ he has never given any straight red or 2 yellows and red. 

I was looking at this site.   It does just say refereed by him.(may not be reliable site)  Doesn't specify if he was in the middle.   Jumped the gun a bit maybe.  Worried of the fantom red being called I guess.

http://www.soccerpunter.com/referees/294557-Yadel-Martinez

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JDub said:

I was looking at this site.   It does just say refereed by him.(may not be reliable site)  Doesn't specify if he was in the middle.   Jumped the gun a bit maybe.  Worried of the fantom red being called I guess.

http://www.soccerpunter.com/referees/294557-Yadel-Martinez

No problem. I just checked and you are right with the presumption of him not being the middle/main ref of those games. The site I use tracks the referees as the main ref. If you go on your site, the latest game it says a red was given on the 3rd place game at the centenario tournament between Colombia and USA but he was not the main ref of that game. It was a Uruguayan ref ( Daniel Adán Fedorczuk )

1 hour ago, JDub said:

another article for those who can't seem to get any work done today.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/02/coach-floro-insists-canada-will-find-result-in-honduras-if-team-executes

“During the last experience (in San Pedro Sula) the players just continued and continued and continued,” Floro said, adding it’s “necessary to stop” and think and defend collectively rather than run aimlessly."

“It’s necessary to rest when the ball is stopped, to take advantage of water and to take the game with patience,” Floro added. “To play well is always to play tactically well. It’s not about running around and fighting a lot.”

Of course, that’s still part of it — and certainly an element that went missing when these two sides tangled in 2012. It often looked like Honduras had twice the number of players in midfield.

That shouldn’t be the case when Canada takes the pitch here Friday. If Thursday’s training was any indication, look for Floro to essentially play with three holding midfielders — Atiba Hutchinson behind David Edgar and Samuel Piette.

Canada’s central trio will be tasked with clogging up dangerous areas in what could be an effort to force Honduras’ attack into wide areas, from which Canada can contend for balls floated into the penalty area.

Then it’s about lulling Honduras into conceding counter-attacking opportunities to Tosaint Ricketts and Junior Hoilett and Cyle Larin, who likely won’t get many opportunities to find Canada’s first goal in four qualifiers.

“It’s about defensive and offensive actions,” Floro said, insinuating that Canada’s tactical acumen can be the difference. “It’s about set pieces and how we concentrate and the communications; Keeping the possession, the formation.”

At least, it seems that the team will be better prepared than last time. We won't get humiliated this time but still, getting a win will be hard.

7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Anytime I hear the word "Honduras", I think of being personally at that disgusting September day in Montreal in 2008, the Gold Cup QF loss in 2009 in Philadelphia and that 0-0 in Toronto last qualifying cycle when a win would have made 8-1 irrelevant.  In fact, friends have told me that I have an unhealthy "obsession" with the entire nation of Honduras. 

I hope September 2, 2016 won't be added to that line of grim history in Canadian soccer and that I can move on with my life.. 

I will add "The Swindle at Commonwealth" in 2004!

8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Anytime I hear the word "Honduras", I think of being personally at that disgusting September day in Montreal in 2008, the Gold Cup QF loss in 2009 in Philadelphia and that 0-0 in Toronto last qualifying cycle when a win would have made 8-1 irrelevant.  In fact, friends have told me that I have an unhealthy "obsession" with the entire nation of Honduras. 

I hope September 2, 2016 won't be added to that line of grim history in Canadian soccer and that I can move on with my life.. 

Same I haven't spoken or looked at my kids since that game. 

Based on all the posts I've read, I'm going to take it as a huge blessing for me that I wasn't following Canadian soccer nearly as closely during the last cycle. I remember seeing 8-1 on the SportsCentre highlights, but that's about it. Ignorance sometimes truly is bliss. This time I'm following it a lot more closely, but my expectations are tempered (even before Canada soccer, I've backed a lot of mediocre sports teams throughout my life, disappointment is where I feel at home).

20 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I myself have placed trade sanctions on all Honduran products. Be it coffee, bananas, whatever. I refuse to purchase any Honduran exports. The wife just shakes her head...

8 minutes ago, grigorio said:

I myself have placed trade sanctions on all Honduran products. Be it coffee, bananas, whatever. I refuse to purchase any Honduran exports. The wife just shakes her head...

Phew...I thought I was the only one boycotting Honduran bananas.

Every other time a game of this magnitude has occurred, I have come in with a sense of optimism and then have been disappointed with the final result of the game.  However, this time I have more of a feeling of dread, which therefore means that we will get a beneficial result, correct? :)

Having had the opportunity to personally verbally attack the entire Honduran team with shameless vitriol at the top of my lungs from a distance of no more than 3 metres at BC Place last November was very cathartic, but we will need a result today for me to truly 'get over' my hatred for them.

#FH

Guys, it will be ok.  I had a dream that Canada was up 2-0 in the game......... 

Bad news though is I woke up before the game ended.

And on a side note, "that" game was the first Canada game I watched with my son.  I told him to get used to that sort of disappointment.  Early life lessons.  Hopefully today will be a different story

Yeah four years ago was painful.  Took a half day off work, went to the soccer bar in town.  Shocked there were about 10 others there to watch.  Then the hammer fell lol.  Never saw those people out to watch games again (might of been university students).  Actually did shots of whiskey that day and never did them back then.  Now four years later I'm ready again.  Actually shed a couple of tears after the win in Vancouver.  Going to start with a good luck shot of whiskey and watch with my friends at the same bar.  Allez Les Rouges my friends.

29 minutes ago, kohanz said:

Based on all the posts I've read, I'm going to take it as a huge blessing for me that I wasn't following Canadian soccer nearly as closely during the last cycle. I remember seeing 8-1 on the SportsCentre highlights, but that's about it. Ignorance sometimes truly is bliss. This time I'm following it a lot more closely, but my expectations are tempered (even before Canada soccer, I've backed a lot of mediocre sports teams throughout my life, disappointment is where I feel at home).

Picture being held down by your big brother while your mom kicked you in the nuts over and over again.  That's sort of what 8-1 felt like, but just a bit worse.

51 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You should flown down to exorcize your ghosts.

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

yesterday he was saying based on training dixon and piette would start. now looks like henry and arfield have replaced them. 

Best to lose with your best players than losing and everyone debating endlessly "what if". Starting an EPL player is a no brainer

Archived