How we can win in September

Northvansteve

I think we can beat Honduras, or at least tie them and then beat El Salvador in September. Here's how:

1. A summer of friendlies to organize what we need to do to win. Play lots against Central American teams.

2. RB: Plan A is if - and it's a big if - Aird proves that he can defend. Plan B is to keep going with Henry and fully commit to this. 

3. Commit to an offensive backup plan. If we need goals we need to be able to put 3 players on the field not named Piette. Find a way to use Osorio, Petrasso, Cavallini, Akindele or Simeon Jackson. We may even want to put Aird at RB just for the offense and take our chances at the back.

4. Better find a backup plan for 2 of the 3 central mids. Atiba is solid but JDG and Will Johnson are old and slowing down. We need a option or two that can come in and play the middle without a major drop in performance: Teibert? Trafford? Froese?

5. Try something radical: play Arfield and/or Hoilett in central mid in place of JDG and/or Will Johnson.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Pray Arfield is healthy

It's funny, because he's not the answer,and its sad because the reality is  that Arfield, Junior, Vitoria, Tesho, and whoever recently joined us or any player eligible to play for Canada isn't either... to be honest. 

I'm starting to believe it's the system we play. Floro has brought us a very long way... but when I think about the very long way, and look at the stats to compare the program to when the time it was in "shambles"(09'-12' Hart era).... there's not much difference. 

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Fire the coach and spend some of the millions of $'s the CSA has in reserve to get someone who actually knows what the fuck he's doing.

I read this initially as a joke... But it's something that should and will be seriously considered if we don't make the hex. He seems better suited to be a  technical director rather than a defensive coordinator with his 8 defenders and 2 ball chasers plan. 

Then he'll say "it's important to defend, if they score 1, we can't attack because we don't have the personnel" 

I disagree, I think Arfield can provide a very good link between defence and offence. But I'm certainly not going to proclaim he is/isn't the answer based on 45 minutes against a world class team... 

Really was a shame Russ was still recovering from his foot injury. He may not provide a ton going forward but if you put him in a situation where he needs to defend, close down, shift to cover where the line might be exposed, he excels. He would have fit perfectly tonight against Mexico, not sure if he's the player we want/need come September though.

Larin is NOT the player we can play up top alone against a team that will have the ball for 70% of the game, he doesn't have the work rate. But if we play more on the forward foot against Honduras I think he will have more joy than these past two games

Honduras looked decent at home today, but certainly not unbeatable (though I seem to remember saying something similar 4 years ago.........)

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

It's funny, because he's not the answer,and its sad because the reality is  that Arfield, Junior, Vitoria, Tesho, and whoever recently joined us or any player eligible to play for Canada isn't either... to be honest. 

I'm starting to believe it's the system we play. Floro has brought us a very long way... but when I think about the very long way, and look at the stats to compare the program to when the time it was in "shambles"(09'-12' Hart era).... there's not much difference. 

I read this initially as a joke... But it's something that should and will be seriously considered if we don't make the hex. He seems better suited to be a  technical director rather than a defensive coordinator with his 8 defenders and 2 ball chasers plan. 

Then he'll say "it's important to defend, if they score 1, we can't attack because we don't have the personnel" 

The strategy since the beginning has been the same. Draw where it's hard for us to play and win at home if possible while playing a solid game. I don't see why there is so much panic now that Mexico has done what anyone should've expected Mexico to do

50 minutes ago, Coramoor said:

The strategy since the beginning has been the same. Draw where it's hard for us to play and win at home if possible while playing a solid game. I don't see why there is so much panic now that Mexico has done what anyone should've expected Mexico to do

Saying we'll draw in Honduras is easy, doing it is much harder.

They did well last night, I thought. Tactically, the home game was a mess. The key is to play for a draw in SPS. I think Mexico will remember the last hex in which they barely escaped. If they can do any part in eliminating Honduras, they'll do it. Also, we could win big at home as could the Mexicans and a 1-0 loss in SPS wouldn't be the end of the world.

If you take out the two games against Mexico, in our last 5 competitive high pressure games (Gold Cup and World Cup qualifying), we have scored 1 goal and give up 1.  So our defensive record is pretty impressive but our ability to score goals is abysmal.  So a 0-0 draw in Honduras isn't impossible.  The problem is what do we do if we go down 1-0 in Honduras and if we need to win by a large margin against El Salvador?

1 hour ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

But would have nothing to play for.

Pride, being a spoiler, perhaps newbies brought into the squad looking to make an impression?  Against a home side that still struggles to score and doesn't inspire confidence in me in pressure sitations where, on paper, they are the favoured side?  That's a big recipe for a let down.

I feel like, and I will probably get roasted for this, Atiba should be our RB. It's a waste of his many talents, but against Mexico I would have had Atiba at RB and Straith in the midfield. We have done well with Straith in the midfield breaking up play. Our midfield three against Mexico were getting bypassed a lot and they weren't able to make the recovery.

Having Atiba back at RB gives us a defender who can play the ball out well and allows us to add Straith in midfield again so he can drop back and breakup play. The central defensive pairings need to be Henry and Edgar in my opinion. They are our two best CBs. Jakovic is a great player, but the future is clearly Edgar and Henry.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Pride, being a spoiler, perhaps newbies brought into the squad looking to make an impression?  Against a home side that still struggles to score and doesn't inspire confidence in me in pressure sitations where, on paper, they are the favoured side?  That's a recipe for a big let down.

Archived