How we can win in September

Northvansteve

Maybe we should have had the qualifiers in Saputo Stadium in Montreal when temperature was near 0 degrees...Central America use every advantage they get to qualify while we don't use ours....the cold.

Examine Exhibit A

Exhibit A

image.adapt.990.high.concacaf_snow_game.

As you can see...Costa Rica didn't do too well. I also recall when we got a draw against Honduras during the last round of qualifiers in Toronto before we got crushed in Honduras...it was a cold night...

3-0 Mexico when its like 2 degrees outside? I don't think so...

Just saying...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Maybe we should have had the qualifiers in Saputo Stadium in Montreal when temperature was near 0 degrees...Central America use every advantage they get to qualify while we don't use ours....the cold.

Examine Exhibit A

Exhibit A

image.adapt.990.high.concacaf_snow_game.

As you can see...Costa Rica didn't do too well. I also recall when we got a draw against Honduras during the last round of qualifiers in Toronto before they got crushed in Honduras...it was a cold night...

Same for when TFC got a draw against Santos Laguna.

Just saying...

We tied Honduras in Toronto in June, it wasn't cold.  

Having a stadium filled with Canadian fans and a good supporters section is the most important factor.  Weather, grass/turf, time zones etc, that is all secondary.  

I think if we return to Vancouver in Sept, the El Salvador game would draw 15,000-20,000.  That crowd would be a psychological letdown to the players, after selling out and disappointing against Mexico.  

We need a new environment.  A fresh environment.  The game should come back to the established fan base in Toronto.  With no build up, marketing, or momentum you can bank on Toronto drawing anywhere from 12,000 - 15,000 Canadian fans for a WCQ, and probably 5,000 Salvador fans.  Vancouver did great, but it's time for a change.  

1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

Having a stadium filled with Canadian fans and a good supporters section is the most important factor.  Weather, grass/turf, time zones etc, that is all secondary.  

I see it the other way around. In fact, I think the crowd was a negative factor in the Mexico game. It's not the crowd's fault of course, but the players didn't handle it well in my opinion.

On the other hand, I'd love to have the last game in Toronto since Vancouver's just too far away for me.

15 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

We tied Honduras in Toronto in June, it wasn't cold.  

I think if we return to Vancouver in Sept, the El Salvador game would draw 15,000-20,000.  That crowd would be a psychological letdown to the players, after selling out and disappointing against Mexico.  

We need a new environment.  A fresh environment.  The game should come back to the established fan base in Toronto.  With no build up, marketing, or momentum you can bank on Toronto drawing anywhere from 12,000 - 15,000 Canadian fans for a WCQ, and probably 5,000 Salvador fans.  Vancouver did great, but it's time for a change.  

Sorry I'm mixing up matches and countries. Still...the Americans needed that win against Costa Rica and they could care less how they got it...

Canada used weather to their advantage before...see Exhibit B

http://m.thetelegram.com/Living/2014-07-08/article-3790488/A-game-to-remember/1

They beat Honduras in 1985 helping thme secure their world cup qualification. There are tons of stories like this one on that match.

Do you think it's an accident Mexico plays at Azteca and they do so well at home? 

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Sorry I'm mixing up matches and countries. Still...the Americans needed that win against Costa Rica and they could care less how they got it...

Canada used weather to their advantage before...see Exhibit B

http://m.thetelegram.com/Living/2014-07-08/article-3790488/A-game-to-remember/1

They beat Honduras in 1985 helping thme secure their world cup qualification 

You must be new here. If we have games t Saputo Canadians have a good chance of being a minority at the game

8 minutes ago, canta15 said:

You must be new here. If we have games t Saputo Canadians have a good chance of being a minority at the game

I happen to be originally from Montreal and been to qualifying games...we were never the minority...

Opposing fans are indeed very loud though 

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I happen to be originally from Montreal and been to qualifying games...we were never the minority...

Opposing fans are indeed very loud though 

Cough.. Cough.. Honduras 2008

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

We collapsed after leading the game...canadians were louder until the collapse.

The crowd got quiet while honduras fans got loud.

from an article in the Toronto Star the next day.

A near-sellout crowd of 12,338 that was about equally divided between Canadian fans and blue-and-white clad Honduras supporters were on their feet for most of an entertaining match with plenty of chances at both ends.

This is not what we need in any qualifier.  Close to equal is not a home field advantage.

51 minutes ago, Floortom said:

It would have been nice to get a friendly against a half-decent side in June instead of Azerbaijan. That might have helped our chances a bit.

Azerbaijan is just good as El Salvador and Honduras. Not sure why people think so highly of those 2.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Azerbaijan is just good as El Salvador and Honduras. Not sure why people think so highly of those 2.

No one thinks highly of El Salvador. Yes, Azerbaijan is in the same league as them. I think Honduras is clearly superior to Azerbaijan though

4 hours ago, canta15 said:

So we'll get a 0-0 draw, get told it was a good game from Floro and then have the usual media dudes say "It was a great result! Canada never gets results on the road!"

8 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This is premature HEX talk; it won't be that cold anywhere we play in September.

Up here in Yellowknife we would welcome with open arms. The visitors won't even get off the plane.....

5 hours ago, Floortom said:

No one thinks highly of El Salvador. Yes, Azerbaijan is in the same league as them. I think Honduras is clearly superior to Azerbaijan though

Honduras is not clearly superior. Its debatable.

2 hours ago, Vince193 said:

So we'll get a 0-0 draw, get told it was a good game from Floro and then have the usual media dudes say "It was a great result! Canada never gets results on the road!"

More like we get a 1-0 win and figure out how we should actually play against teams equivalent to that of the skill level of Azerbaijan.

7 hours ago, Ofuzz said:

Up here in Yellowknife we would welcome with open arms. The visitors won't even get off the plane.....

I love the crowd support and growing interest in the national teams, but I wish the CSA would give some serious thought to creative solutions like this.  Maybe Yellowknife isn't the answer, but there have to be some decent pitches in cold-Canada that could be used to our advantage.  September can be shoulder season in many areas, and as much as our guys may not prefer it, I am sure the Central American teams would absolutely hate it. 

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I love the crowd support and growing interest in the national teams, but I wish the CSA would give some serious thought to creative solutions like this.  Maybe Yellowknife isn't the answer, but there have to be some decent pitches in cold-Canada that could be used to our advantage.  September can be shoulder season in many areas, and as much as our guys may not prefer it, I am sure the Central American teams would absolutely hate it. 

Exactly and breaking news...Honduras wants to play Canada at 3pm...peak of humid tropical heat environment...Surprise surprise

We're way too nice

On March 30, 2016 at 1:31 PM, squizz1402635577 said:

There's only one FIFA international break between now and September -- the one in June, in which we have a training camp in Austria and a friendly against Azerbajian (plus, hopefully, some other Euro opponent).

The odds of getting a squad together on a non-FIFA summer date to play CONCACAF opposition are slim to nil, unfortunately.

?

33 minutes ago, squizz1402635577 said:

I said summer! May 15 isn't summer! I'm still technically correct!

The best kind of correct.

Archived