How we can win in September

Northvansteve

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Oranje said:

I'm sure you could find this exact post after the loss in San Pedro Sula, when Montagliani became prez, when Hart was fired (or resigned, can't remember) and when Floro was hired. Nothing is going to change until the development channels are drastically redone and the grassroots game is flipped onto it's head. The only thing that will change is our expectations with the new player additions/new coaches while the root cause for our agony remains the same.

One other comment on this topic, whether or not there is change happening at the grassroots level is so bloody hard to evaluate. I keep hearing things that I *think* sound promising: player pathways being solidified, new high performance leagues and teams, changes in the way the CSA scouts and supports high performance players, etc, etc, etc. Maybe some of these things are already starting to pay off in small ways. Maybe over the next 5 years there will be a surge in quality Canadian professionals all over the place. Maybe in 15 years we will be one of the 'have' countries in CONCACAF in terms of talent. Maybe in 15 years people will be saying 'We need to fix the grassroots development in this country or nothing is going to change.' I sincerely hope it's not the latter. 

How can we win in September?

- First I would start out by playing professional players.

- Second thing I would do is play professional players who are actually getting playing time in a competitive league.

- Third thing I would do is play defensively organized like we have been doing and pray for two clean sheets.

- Lastly, we probably will need to nick one goal to advance so when we luckily do get a set piece I would throw 8 guys forward to score a goal because that is the only way we could score.

If Floro understands those are the four keys to success, then we stand a legitimate chance. My preferred XI... (Notice the abundance of players who are getting a lot of minutes in MLS there in midseason form)

Hoilett       Larin         Arfield
Johnson     Hutchinson    Teibert

De Jong Ouimette    Edgar    Aird

Borjan

Subs: Akindele, Osorio, Adekugbe

It's not how we can win it's how we can make Honduras and El Salvador lose. During that game at home vs El Salvador i found that Honduras was getting very frustrated in the first half when they couldn't find the back of the net and I think that could be our advantage. I'm not saying park the bus, but weather the storm for the first half hour or so then when they start to get frustrated hit em where and when they're weak, they'll be looking for goals which may give us great counter attacking chances. As the game goes on we try to take control of the game slow it down with possesion and they'll start playing stupid ( bad Fouls) and i think we can take advantage of that  

What can change over the summer? What will change?  Floro wont be fired, Floro wont change tactics.  Short corners and bus parking will be the order of the day.  Rickets wont find his shooting boots and Morgan wont grow a useful right leg.  

BUT......who is out there that a some productive football and a boatload of confidence will push into the top 11 and help us slay the honduran boogey man.  Zanetta??  Petasso?? Aleman??  Or maybe some of the guys we have seen can get on a hot streak (Cavallini, Osorio, Jackson etc).  James had a good game, anyone else ready to step up?  If they are, will Floro actually play them?  Is there any more lurkers/fence sitters coming our way?  As much as I like the new blood (Tesho, Hoilett and Arfield) it seems like we are back in the same spot we were 4 years ago, needing to nick points of Honduras, or go home and gnash our teeth for another 4 years.  PLEASE!!! SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME HOPE!!!  

Keeping Henry off the field should save at least one goal against over two games, he's really the only big liability on the back line. I haven't seen enough of Vitoria unfortunately but I like James, Edgar, De Jong, Ledgerwood and Jacovic. I like Ashtone too in general, I'm hoping he gets in plenty of games for TFC and builds his confidence back up.

In midfield, I like Piette if DeGuzman isn't in form. Julian didn't shine these last two games. There's no way I'd take Hutchinson out of the midfield. Arfield's a given. The only thing I have against Johnson is his reaction or lack thereof in the 2nd goal against Mexico in Vancouver and the 2nd in Mexico...I was surprised about that.

I'd sure like Cavallini to be around.

In no particular order

-Find a starting RB. Doneil Henry isn't a RB. Best RB talent in pool is David Edgar, esp if Edgar is not being played as a CB.

-Never play Ricketts as starting RM now that you have couple of better options.

-JDG may be the captain, but he's a 60-70min player only, and he doesn't bring enough to warrant burning a sub for a player who can no longer go 90 consistently. Esp if you bring in Piette as sub for JDG who adds nothing to offence.

-Most of your strikers, Larin, Cavallini, Haber, Akindele are pretty good at hold up play. Find a way to incorporate this attribute to the attack.

-Figure out who your starting CB pair is. It looks like Jakovic is one. Settle on your second.

-As good as Hutch has been at DM/deep lying playmaker, if you want any shred of offence from your CMs, you have to play him as box to box CM.

-Stop it with the short corners. Once in a while is ok. All the time is just stupid, esp when the ball doesn't end up getting played into the box.

-Larin can't play lone striker in your set up. He needs a striker partner to take a bit of load off of him.

5 hours ago, Yohan said:

-Larin can't play lone striker in your set up. He needs a striker partner to take a bit of load off of him.

Larin doesn't need that in Orlando. Sure, we don't have a true #10, but if you go with a second striker, it means that you're most exposed. I wouldn't mind that if Larin is willing to do the work and come back and help the team defensively. 

4 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Larin doesn't need that in Orlando. Sure, we don't have a true #10, but if you go with a second striker, it means that you're most exposed. I wouldn't mind that if Larin is willing to do the work and come back and help the team defensively. 

The point is, Larin gets helluva a lot more support when playing for Orlando, and playing for Canada exposes him by putting too much burden on him.

On 3/31/2016 at 11:12 AM, Bison44 said:

What can change over the summer? What will change?...

...PLEASE!!! SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME HOPE!!!  

Well, the worst case is that our Summer league players (which now make up a majority of our top-end pool) will be in peak form by September. That alone greatly impacts our CM (Julian and Will - with Straith an Teibert offering depth behind Julian) and along the defensive line (deJong, Jakovic, Straith and Ledgerwood, plus Henry wasn't in top form either). I suspect that this really hurt our level of play in the Mexico series.

Secondly, the June friendly should help our new front-3 to gel (Hoilett, Larin and Arfield), with an in-form Akindele pushing for playing time.

Otherwise, I don't see any new faces available or sudden tactic changes from Benito.

My choice for in Honduras 

--------------------Larin-------------------
Hoilett-------------------------------Arfield
----Hutchinson--Teibert---Johnson--------
De Jong---Edgar-----Jakovic--Ledgerwood

I think we need to try something different. A healthy Teibert, I think, its worth a shot. Guy is an engine and if he's motivated I think would be great, maybe sub on De Guzman or Piette for him later. We are also set up nicely for a counter attack with this formation. 

We get the result. Now at home to El Salvador, needing a win!

------------Larin-------------Cavallini---------
Hoilett-------Johnson----Hutchinson----Arfield
De Jong----Edgar---------Jakovic-------Aird

1 hour ago, David C. said:

Secondly, the June friendly should help our new front-3 to gel (Hoilett, Larin and Arfield)

Not really a front 3 with Floro's tactics.

18 hours ago, Bully said:

Hoilett-------------------------------Arfield
----Teibert--Hutchinson---Johnson--------
De Jong---Edgar-----Jakovic--Ledgerwood

I would have Hutchinson as the holding midfield. That is what he does for his club and excels at it. Teibert does not do that for his club, that is Laba's job.

I'd also be intrigued to see what Teibert could do as one of the 2 central mids for Canada.  He isn't a tough holding player but I feel his stamina would come in pretty handy down in Honduras. He's also always willing to create when he plays for Canada... something we really lack, not to mention his delivery off set pieces.  

Many have suggested playing more friendlies, but how about playing those friendlies against higher quality opponents? or at the very least against countries similar to Honduras and El Salvador in terms of style/tactics/environment.  Honduras is prepping for September with a friendly against Argentina, while Canada against Azerbaijan? 

(Admittedly I know nothing about Azerbaijan's team other than it's FIFA ranking, are they at all similar to H or ES tactically?).

46 minutes ago, tg02 said:

Many have suggested playing more friendlies, but how about playing those friendlies against higher quality opponents? or at the very least against countries similar to Honduras and El Salvador in terms of style/tactics/environment.  Honduras is prepping for September with a friendly against Argentina, while Canada against Azerbaijan? 

(Admittedly I know nothing about Azerbaijan's team other than it's FIFA ranking, are they at all similar to H or ES tactically?).

They are as good as them in skill. Not sure about tactically

2 hours ago, tg02 said:

Just shows how bad Honduras prep is as well.

Argentina are nowhere near Canada tactically as well.

?

3 hours ago, tg02 said:

...and El Salvador has 2 friendlies in the US. One in Seattle against Peru. The other against Armenia in California. They are both doing things better than we are this June break it seems.

38 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

...and El Salvador has 2 friendlies in the US. One in Seattle against Peru. The other against Armenia in California. They are both doing things better than we are this June break it seems.

I've beleaguered this point a ton before and what I always hear, usually from guys like Squizz is that the CSA has barely any money for friendlies, that and teams don't really want to play us. We aren't really a cash grab like CA teams are in the States.

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

I've beleaguered this point a ton before and what I always hear, usually from guys like Squizz is that the CSA has barely any money for friendlies, that and teams don't really want to play us. We aren't really a cash grab like CA teams are in the States.

Money is not an issue.

Based on recent formations and line-up, I am predicting the following in Honduras:

----------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------

Hoilett--DeGuz--Hutchinson--Johnson--Arfield

De Jong---Edgar---Jakovic--Ledgerwood

Borjan

52 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Based on recent formations and line-up, I am predicting the following in Honduras:

-----------------------------------------------

Hoilett--DeGuz--Hutchinson--Johnson--Arfield

De Jong---Edgar---Jakovic--Ledgerwood

Borjan

Appears to be pretty accurate, but I believe it will look a little more like this: