Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I have often thought of the Eredivisie Bundesliga relationship as a wishful parallel. The Eredevisie doesn't have the population or money to compete toe to toe with the Bundesliga but Holland competes with Germany on the world level (excluding last euros)

My thoughts exactly!

4 hours ago, Alex D said:

If MLS is trying to be the Premiership, than I hope we can try to be the Eredivise. They can blow all the cash the want on stars players while we work tirelessly away at trying to create our own. 

Yep. 

I'd rather we found/develop our own stars than overpay for soccer players past their prime

44 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the popular opinion is that the university does not want the CFL there because it would eat away at PEP's fanbase. However, if that is indeed the case, why would they be willing to let a pro soccer team in? 

Different sport.

I remember about a year or so ago the mayor of Quebec City said they rather have a pro soccer team than a CFL franchise, whatever that's worth. 

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yep. 

I'd rather we found/develop our own stars than overpay for soccer players past their prime

The issue is that for a league like the CPL (and even MLS) to fully develop stars (and make people notice them) you need to sell them to Europe.

Also stop knocking the older players. They do their jobs and bring a level of stability and credibility.

6 minutes ago, matty said:

The issue is that for a league like the CPL (and even MLS) to fully develop stars (and make people notice them) you need to sell them to Europe.

Also stop knocking the older players. They do their jobs and bring a level of stability and credibility.

I have no problem supporting a selling league so long as there is always a "next messi" coming through. I know creating a conveyor belt is easier said than done but that should be the goal. Identify and nuture bright young talents and give them a shot at first team football. 

Also, I agree, vetrans will play an important role in this league. I hope they target guys with high soccer IQ and not guys who can do flashy tricks, run really fast or expensive "name players" who are very much on the backside of their career. 

22 hours ago, Bison44 said:

"And honestly for a country as wealthy as Canada going all in on a World Cup Finals is no big thing if the money is spent with a least some eye for lasting effect.  Transit links, stadia improvements, airport improvements, blah, blah, blah, and in multiple regions of the country at that?  How the Hell can you go wrong?"

Didnt they say the same about the Montreal olympics?? 

I don't know, maybe.  Can't remember.  I was seven.  

Do remember we had a beautiful P.O.S. Crown Vic with a flathead that wouldn't start in the winter.  Also had this bile coloured rotary dial at home and would watch AWA wrestling Saturday nights (or maybe Fridays?) on a black and white TV.  At least that is until it started shooting flames out of the back of it.  The Old Toothless Cat ended up buying a colour TV on lay-away from Krahn's after that.

Man, that was sweet.  I want to say it was a Zenith but I'm not sure. 

1 minute ago, Alex D said:

I have no problem supporting a selling league so long as there is always a "next messi" coming through. I know creating a conveyor belt is easier said than done but that should be the goal. Identify and nuture bright young talents and give them a shot at first team football. 

I think once the league has established itself in CONCACAF and has the correct partnerships with school or its own academies in place we'l start seeing players flow to other leagues. Mostly I'm thinking MLS mostly but I wouldn't be shocked if they do polish some 18-23 year-olds up enough for Liga MX and Europe.

10 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I don't know, maybe.  Can't remember.  I was seven.  

Do remember we had a beautiful P.O.S. Crown Vic with a flathead that wouldn't start in the winter.  Also had this bile coloured rotary dial at home and would watch AWA wrestling Saturday nights (or maybe Fridays?) on a black and white TV.  At least that is until it started shooting flames out of the back of it.  The Old Toothless Cat ended up buying a colour TV on lay-away from Krahn's after that.

Man, that was sweet.  I want to say it was a Zenith but I'm not sure. 

This.

14 hours ago, ted said:

And as I have been saying for what, four years now, the CanPL cannot be built on deception or delusion.

There's no deception here. MLS is an American Division 1 league. CanPL will be a Canadian Division 1 League. That's the truth

14 hours ago, ted said:

Any owner or sponsor being told right now that CanPL will be, "as good" or the, "same level", as MLS will either know right away they are being sold a bill of goods or will be angry later when they find out that it just isn't so.

They won't say "as good" of MLS but they will say "Division 1"

14 hours ago, ted said:

Any credible journalist covering the league will know from day one that CanPL is not at the same level as MLS on or off the field. If someone from the league tires to blow smoke up their ass they will immediately have a negative opinion of that person and their employer.

and MLS is not on the same level as Costa Rican League or Liga MX but all 3 leagues are Division 1.  CanPL will say "Division 1" not "as good or same level".

We can all agree that Ligue 1 is not on the same level as La Liga but they are still both D1

14 hours ago, ted said:

Better to just take whatever perceived hit you believe comes from seeding teams than have the reputation of a liar. Just look at the attendance figure discussion in this thread. One single report of false figures by a team and the whole league will be called out for being liars. The numbers will stop being reported, or worse, reported accurately with snide comments about false numbers.

What false figures? Liar?

CanPL owners wants to succeed so they will market "top league in Canada". That's telling the truth. If there's something you don't do in business is giving free publicity to your competition. Expect CanPL through all its media to act like MLS doesn't exist.

14 hours ago, ted said:

I agree that perception is important. Being seen as "below" MLS is less harmful than being seen as delusional or deceitful.

It is harmful because MLS have teams in Canada and they will be competing for the same fans in some markets. If MLS was totally absent from Canada, you'd be right just like in Europe, the French league knows they are below the Spanish in level of play but la Liga has no team in France. Our situation is unique and warrants a different approach. Again, no need to lie but CanPL will be Canada's Top League and they should market themselves as such

11 hours ago, matty said:

No way CPL outbids anyone for the older stars you're talking about if they are stars past their prime. I expect MLS to try to steal them at every turn.

Veterans are important. I'm making a distinction at signing good veterans to help the younger players and CPL going after a "Beckham" to which I'd rather go after a young prospect from Africa or South America

15 hours ago, ted said:

I agree that perception is important. Being seen as "below" MLS is less harmful than being seen as delusional or deceitful.

I don't think anyone here is advocating for deceit. I think what people are trying to say is that there is a difference between CPL being "not as good" as MLS, and the CSA itself implying that CPL is "below" MLS. When you seed MLS teams in the national championship ahead of CPL teams, you aren't just saying that MLS is better right now, you are saying MLS is the ceiling for CPL.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

No way CPL outbids anyone for the older stars you're talking about if they are stars past their prime. I expect MLS to try to steal them at every turn.

Veterans are important. I'm making a distinction at signing good veterans to help the younger players and CPL going after a "Beckham" to which I'd rather go after a young prospect from Africa or South America

I don't think the CPL will have an issue securing older players. We're seeing a shift in terms of what leagues like MLS, CSL, RPL and the TSL are looking to sign (don't forget the roster rules MLS and CSL have) and it's creating a gap that the CPL and some other leagues that the CPL can be competitive with to fill. Now they might be 35 or a minor EPL guy  who had that one great season but they can still provide skill, cred and draw.

I do however see issues with securing DECENT and young Latin and African talent. Their two highly scouted groups and I see there being a great deal more competition for them. I'd also question if you'd get enough in return for your investment. I think there will be some of these guy in the league but I doubt it will be super common.

Everything said, this league is gonna be filled with CONCACAF talent and maybe 3 or 4 outsiders.

41 minutes ago, matty said:

Everything said, this league is gonna be filled with CONCACAF talent and maybe 3 or 4 outsiders.

CONCACAF has lots of talent and probably low on major league's scouting league. That's a great opportunity to find "young gems" who would be delighted to move in Canada and play in our league. One of the reasons the Haitian team is so strong is because most of them plays in France and Ligue 1 scouts Haiti pretty thoroughly.

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

CONCACAF has lots of talent and probably low on major league's scouting league. That's a great opportunity to find "young gems" who would be delighted to move in Canada and play in our league. One of the reasons the Haitian team is so strong is because most of them plays in France and Ligue 1 scouts Haiti pretty thoroughly.

For some reason I'm not too keen on developing other Concacaf nations talent.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I agree and the CPL, reportedly, will have the money to out-pay their domestic leagues.

1 minute ago, MtlMario said:

For some reason I'm not to keen on developing other Concacaf nations talent.

Don't view it that way. Aside from some Caribbean nations (like Saint Vincent and the Grenadines), we won't be giving national teams significant bumps. Most players will likely be Americans who aren't gonna be in the USmnt picture and the national teamers we do sign from TnT and El Salvador will already established on those teams and WILL give the CPL cred (therefore developing our program).

Archived