Canadian Premier League

ted

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Shouldn't all CPL teams be part of the tournament?

Probably suggesting some type of play in, byes for the MLS teams.  Just like the League One/Quebec league winner will play in to the Cup under the proposals/rumours I've heard.

Nevermind he answered lol

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

Yes but in my system the club that are  champions of the CanPL qualify for the quarterfinals while all the other clubs start in the knockout rounds 

It's a domestic cup, not a Champions League Cup. 

You're sending the wrong message that MLS are superior to CPL, hence the importance to have all Division 1 teams from both leagues to enter the cup at the same time.

15 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If you want a decent game of soccer you need a pitch that is at least 70 yards wide to provide space in the midfield for skill players to perform to the best of their abilities. Playing on a narrower field than that which is shaped like an airport runway (even worse that there are what look like permanent football markings) will result in a game that looks like this in terms of having a congested midfield that kills the entertainment value

The key to progress is doing what Halifax are planning by building a real soccer specific venue

I really agree with the positive aspects of your post.  It's a good point.

Also don't look now BBTB, you complimented what one of the CPL teams is doing!

Honestly though the Halifax soccer specific stadium concept and the organization they seem to be building is really encouraging.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

You're sending the wrong message that MLS are superior to CPL, hence the importance to have all Division 1 teams from both leagues to enter the cup at the same time.

Agreed.  Every D1 team should be able to play in the Canadian Championship and I don't think the MLS teams should get a bye.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Explain how you would format the cup with the addition of the 6 cpl teams and have it make sense

I'd be surprised if the VCup didn't include all CPL teams, but unless there's only 5 CPL teams, they can't all enter at the same time as MLS.

Sure, if you have 10 CPL teams, you could include 3 MLS, FCE, OFFC, and one D3 team, they could all enter at the round of 16, but that's a stretch.

More than likely, you'll need some bye rounds.  Either you seed teams into those bye rounds, or you select them by random draw from all D1 teams.

8 hours ago, GimliJetsMan said:

I honestly think Canada can and should do a solo bid for the World Cup. The only joint bid I would even consider being a part of is a 50/50 bid with the States.

I'd go further.  Solo bid or don't bother.  To me a 50/50 bid is an absolutely, positively, "we've got no choice" sort of last resort.  And I'd bargain HAAAARD to be part of it.  Flexible with the group hosts but which ever country hosts the final will host ZERO semi-finals.  Take it or leave it.  Don't like it?  Then fu'k off.  Take my chances with a FIFA vote Trumpland.

I absolutely believe any federal party which doesn't see the political upside of sinking a ridicules shit boat load of money into a World Cup Finals is so out of touch that it just wouldn't be capable of getting elected.  What other event lets you buy big-time love in multiple cities across the country for infrastructure (vanity) projects?  None, that's how many.   

And honestly for a country as wealthy as Canada going all in on a World Cup Finals is no big thing if the money is spent with a least some eye for lasting effect.  Transit links, stadia improvements, airport improvements, blah, blah, blah, and in multiple regions of the country at that?  How the Hell can you go wrong?

"And honestly for a country as wealthy as Canada going all in on a World Cup Finals is no big thing if the money is spent with a least some eye for lasting effect.  Transit links, stadia improvements, airport improvements, blah, blah, blah, and in multiple regions of the country at that?  How the Hell can you go wrong?"

Didnt they say the same about the Montreal olympics?? 

10 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'd be surprised if the VCup didn't include all CPL teams, but unless there's only 5 CPL teams, they can't all enter at the same time as MLS.

Sure, if you have 10 CPL teams, you could include 3 MLS, FCE, OFFC, and one D3 team, they could all enter at the round of 16, but that's a stretch.

More than likely, you'll need some bye rounds.  Either you seed teams into those bye rounds, or you select them by random draw from all D1 teams.

An odd point of clarification:

Do you get a "bye" or a "buy"?  I had always assumed the latter for some reason.

8 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Wow, I learned something about Scottish football there. I had no idea there were two big clubs in Britain even closer than Everton and the Liver birds.

Notts County and Nottingham Forest are closer than Everton and Liverpool.  Not by much, but closer.

'IF' you classify County and Forest as big clubs.  LOL.

GWS

13 hours ago, matty said:

Explain how you would format the cup with the addition of the 6 cpl teams and have it make sense

A-D3 group Stage

• All D3 leagues enters except the previous year champions
  • Top 4 teams advance to next round

B-Knockout Stage

• NASL FC Edmonton advance to this stage
  • L1O Champion advance to this stage
  • PLSQ Champion advance to this stage
  • 6 CPL Teams advance to this stage
  • 3 MLS teams advance to this stage
  • Top 4 D3 teams from previous round advance to this stage
  • Draw among 16 Teams to set up the knockout stage

Example

1. Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Lakeshore SC
  2. CPL Calgary vs. Edmonton FC
  3. Toronto FC vs. CPL Winnipeg
  4. CPL Hamilton vs. Vaughan Azzurri
  5. Montreal Impact vs. Mont-Royal Outremont
  6. CPL Toronto vs. FC London
  7. CPL Victoria vs. Sigma FC
  8. CPL Regina vs. AS Blainville

C-Quarter-Finals

• 8 Teams left
  1. Vancouver Whitecaps vs. CPL Calgary
  2. Toronto FC vs. CPL Hamilton
  3. Montreal Impact vs. CPL Toronto
  4. CPL Victoria vs. CPL Regina

D-Semi-Finals

• 4 Teams left
  1. Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Toronto FC
  2. CPL Toronto vs. CPL Regina

E-Finals

• 2 Teams left
  1. Toronto derby: Toronto FC vs. CPL Toronto

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

A-D3 group Stage

• All D3 leagues enters except the previous year champions
  • Top 4 teams advance to next round

I don't think it's economically feasible for the D3 teams to all participate in a national tournament. Best solution is probably Interprovincial Cup winner with the CSA subsidizing their travel

14 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

All CPL and MLS teams can enter in the same round in my opinion. I would make up the numbers by adding enough D3 teams until it worked.

For example, let's say there are 6 CPL teams. That makes 3 MLS and 6 CPL teams, for a total of 9 D1 teams. That means the latest they could enter the tournament would be the round of 16. that means you need 7 D2+D3 teams. That could either be done by just plopping in the D2 teams that we have (say we still have 2) and then putting in D3 teams based on league ranking, or having preliminary rounds for D3 (possibly include D2).

Under no circumstances do I think it makes any sense for MLS teams to be given priority/byes/preferential seeding over CPL teams. It's better for the CSA (and the CMNT) for the CPL teams to thrive in this tournament. If we have MLS teams enter in a later round than CPL, we might as well let the MLS reserve teams into the CPL as well.

22 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I don't think it's economically feasible for the D3 teams to all participate in a national tournament. Best solution is probably Interprovincial Cup winner with the CSA subsidizing their travel

I keep hearing this, and I get it, but at the same time I feel like it's small thinking. Does anybody know if the Voyageurs Cup gets any TV money? It definitely gets some amount of sponsorship money. Splitting this with the D3 teams that play in it, as well as, I would suggest, splitting gates (maybe it doesn't have to be 50/50, but still) should help them cover the costs of travel. If that's not enough, then ideally the CSA would help cover costs as well.

In the longer term, you get publicity for the D3 teams. I would imagine they would have their biggest attendance of the season at home when they are hosting an MLS team or CPL team, and would be playing in front of an even bigger crowd when they go to play at Saputo, or Tim Hortons Field, or wherever. More chances for players in the D3 leagues to impress the big clubs in the country, and possibly open some doors for themselves. I would be sooooo pumped up about the Voyageurs Cup if/when D3 teams are allowed in.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that nobody pointed out this part of Larson's article talking with Bill Manning about the CPL.

"Changes to Canada’s domestic Cup could arrive as early as this year.

'There might be an opportunity with League One teams,” Manning added. “They’re talking about opening up the competition to the semi-pro teams.' "

4 minutes ago, ted said:

Or the totally honest and accurate message... ;)

At what point does it change though? If the remarkable happens and one day the CPL teams are of comparable quality to MLS teams, how and when does the practice of evening up the Voyageurs Cup format happen? I would argue that by giving MLS teams an advantage in that tournament, you delay finding out when the CPL teams are caught up to MLS teams.

Considering other well-established footy nations allow for fairly uneven pairings even in relatively early rounds of domestic cup competitions, it would seem silly for Canada to entrench (at the very outset) a system that firmly establishes CPL as subordinate to MLS.  It may (or may not) reflect the reality of relative squad quality at the time of CPL launch, but to me it would be a ludicrous way of setting up the tournament format from the outset - especially when trying to elevate the profile of our new domestic league.  MLS isn't so hugely powerful that teams warrant that kind of special treatment, and the number of teams potentially involved isn't so large that we are talking about a significant number of onerous fixtures where MLS clubs are burdened with playing taxing matches where the ourtcome is a given (Lincoln 1 - Burnley anyone?).   

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Considering other well-established footy nations allow for fairly uneven pairings even in relatively early rounds of domestic cup competitions, it would seem silly for Canada to entrench (at the very outset) a system that firmly establishes CPL as subordinate to MLS.  It may (or may not) reflect the reality of relative squad quality at the time of CPL launch, but to me it would be a ludicrous way of setting up the tournament format from the outset - especially when trying to elevate the profile of our new domestic league.  MLS isn't so hugely powerful that teams warrant that kind of special treatment, and the number of teams potentially involved isn't so large that we are talking about a significant number of onerous fixtures where MLS clubs are burdened with playing taxing matches where the ourtcome is a given (Lincoln 1 - Burnley anyone?).   

Exactly ^^^^^

And let's not forget that it's unlikely CPL owners would stand for it. Money talks and those owners are the one putting their money and taking all the risks to do a solid favor to the CSA. No way the CSA will ever publicly send the message that MLS > CPL in any way shape or form.

Archived