Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Does La Liga have a team in Paris and does the French Football Federation have a deal with La Liga to sign the best French prospects with La Liga teams? There's no sensible analogy there.

Regardless, MLS is not needed. CPL can succeed on its own.

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not many people posting here compared to something like a TFC board, so what's a minority opinion here may not be a minority opinion overall amongst people who follow Canadian pro soccer. Beyond that even in the absence of the reserve teams it would still in all likelihood be viewed as minor league by many/most if MLS teams are the one lifting the Voyageurs Cup trophy each and every season, so I think it's mainly a problem with CFL people in Hamilton not being able to cope with Toronto not being the main rival because they are used to the Ticats vs Argos thing.

Of course a TFC board would be loaded with people who prioritize the interests of TFC over CPL.  You are choosing to highlight the opinions of a group of people who are explicitly and vocally going to side with their club's interests. 

Of all your cherry-picked factoids and selective citations, that is literally the most ridiculous post I have seen you make. 

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Let's see what happens on this if there is no solo 2026 World Cup bid.

Hosting solo or co-hosting helps tremendously in terms of attention to the sport and exposure of the league, off course, but CPL can succeed without it.

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

Can't link to tweets on the computer at work but his announcement is that he's having four former CSL players on tonight discussing why now is the time for the CPL.

That's it? From that preamble I was expecting a lot more. 

To take the aimless posting in a new direction: given all the young Canadians in MLS/NASL/USL or overseas, who are the top Canadian players not getting professional chances at the moment? Bluntly, I don't think there are a lot of top prospects.

My list:

1. Dylan Carreiro

2. Joseph DiChiara

3. Skylar Thomas?

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

and also how seriously they take CPL. From a business point of view, if my competition is small fry, you don't exist to me.

Wrestling comparison for fun! :P

WWF vs. WCW= They acknowledge publicly their competition and co-existence in an aggressive attempt to beat one another

WWE vs TNA= "What's a TNA???"

Wwe does acknowledge ring of honor, which is "smaller" than tna. They also talk about new japan a fair bit.

1 hour ago, Dub Narcotic said:

To take the aimless posting in a new direction: given all the young Canadians in MLS/NASL/USL or overseas, who are the top Canadian players not getting professional chances at the moment? Bluntly, I don't think there are a lot of top prospects.

My list:

1. Dylan Carreiro

2. Joseph DiChiara

3. Skylar Thomas?

How about Dominic Russo, who was named the #1 attacking prospect in PDL at the end of last year, but was ineligible for the MLS combine? How about some of his teammates on the PDL Top Prospects list? Elijah Adekugbe was the #2 ranked midfielder on the list, Dominck Zator is the #6 ranked defender on the list, and Sarkaria is there as well.

No mention of any opportunities for them outside of a quick one liner on the WFC2 site for 3 of the 4. No mention of any opportunities for Adekugbe at all...

54 minutes ago, Ansem said:

They aren't competing directly while TNA tried to resurrect the Monday night wars.

Hey NXT is basically trying to destroy ROH (who are the number 2 ticket mover in the US) and New Japan's Bullet Club outsold the whole WWE roster in merch in 2016. I'd say WWE gives more shits about them (and the UK scene) than they ever did about TNA (aside from TNA in Europe and Asia).

14 minutes ago, matty said:

Hey NXT is basically trying to destroy ROH (who are the number 2 ticket mover in the US) and New Japan's Bullet Club outsold the whole WWE roster in merch in 2016. I'd say WWE gives more shits about them (and the UK scene) than they ever did about TNA (aside from TNA in Europe and Asia).

I stand corrected. I quit WWE when the Rock left and Cena became superman 

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

Motion to rename this thread to "The Importance of John Cena"

CPL could use John Cena's fame to draw the crowd sizes they need. The league would be inherently more Xtreme.

You might as well call it the Xtreme Football League!

Nothing could go wrong.

11 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Motion to rename this thread to "The Importance of John Cena"

Nah that's a dead meme. If this forum is gonna give 4chan, 8chan, Minds, LiveLeak, All News Pipeline ect. a run for the darkest place on the surface web then we gotta stay up to date.

Archived