Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't totally related to the Canadian Premier League, but Kurt Larson wrote a non-sports article in the Toronto Sun yesterday around paid Trump protestors, who's main source was a fake news website.

I think anyone reading Larson's articles on the CPL and / or TFC need to take this into consideration. The guy is a hack.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/toronto-sun-wyd?utm_term=.hs8KEYNoa#.wt8aWP29B

6 minutes ago, shermanator said:

This isn't totally related to the Canadian Premier League, but Kurt Larson wrote a non-sports article in the Toronto Sun yesterday around paid Trump protestors, who's main source was a fake news website.

I think anyone reading Larson's articles on the CPL and / or TFC need to take this into consideration. The guy is a hack.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/toronto-sun-wyd?utm_term=.hs8KEYNoa#.wt8aWP29B

Say what you will, but if Im going to take in news from unreliable sources I'd rather take it from Kurt than buzzfeed. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt, but most MSM are pretty biased and are all just looking to push their political agendas. We should be questioning all news and all ideas and concepts. But I digress, I don't think anyone wants to engage in political/ideological discourse here.

1 hour ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Say what you will, but if Im going to take in news from unreliable sources I'd rather take it from Kurt than buzzfeed. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt, but most MSM are pretty biased and are all just looking to push their political agendas. We should be questioning all news and all ideas and concepts. But I digress, I don't think anyone wants to engage in political/ideological discourse here.

When the guy who wrote the article that Larson's was based upon admits that it was a purposeful fake news item, I think you can draw the conclusion that Larson's article is erroneous, doesn't matter what part of the political spectrum you belong.

Think it should go without saying that being the pro soccer beat writer is still usually not a particularly prestigious role in journalism terms in Canada or the USA and will often be given to somebody junior who still has a lot to prove that may not even be a fan of our sport to any significant extent, but if we accept that Kurt Larson is basically passing on verbatim what MLSE thinks about the new domestic pro league, I'm not sure what this Buzzfeed stuff amounts to other than finding a way to shoot the messenger because you don't like the contents of the message he brings you.

The point here is that many have been taking what Larson says on the CPL as gospel. But it's not. Does he have any legitimate sources on the CPL outside of Bill Manning, who himself admitted he hasn't heard much on the subject?

If he's willing to put his name behind an article where the subject is completely outside of what he typically covers, without doing the proper diligence on his sources, how can we trust what he says on the subject, outside of specific quotes from TFC management?

If people are going to question the legitimacy of reports from the likes of Rollins or Totera, they have to do the same with Larson.

Yes, Buzzfeed is a terrible place for news, but as @rob.notenboom has mentioned, they have quotes from the source who admitted it was a purposeful fake news article. When the Sun manages to acknowledge that what was published was sourced from a fake news article, I will make sure to pass that along.

To be fair it's fully possible Larson had the article thrown at him and did not give a shit as it was out of his field. The Sun is a tabloid and tabloid live off of sensational, low brow stories and sports. It's not professional but it's possible.

Sun might have been out of writers, wanted a piece done on this, asked Kurt after their "fact checker" "checked it"

2 minutes ago, matty said:

To be fair it's fully possible Larson had the article thrown at him and did not give a shit as it was out of his field. The Sun is a tabloid and tabloid live off of sensational, low brow stories and sports. It's not professional but it's possible.

To add to that, when the story was first published it had no byline and then later suddenly had Larson's. That's odd indeed. No idea why that would happen but there are numerous possibilities that I don't really care to speculate on here. 

It saddens me on a number of levels though. We are witnessing the erosion of good journalism in our society, and this is simply one minor case of the hundreds and hundreds that seem to be happening monthly. It's harder and harder to know what news you can actually count on, sports news or otherwise, and personally I feel this is a great tragedy. 

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

@rob.notenboomThe point here is that many have been taking what Larson says on the CPL as gospel. But it's not. Does he have any legitimate sources on the CPL outside of Bill Manning, who himself admitted he hasn't heard much on the subject?

What has Kurt Larson reported on the subject that went beyond information that was fed to him by TFC? I can't think of anything that fits that category.

This will be very interesting to watch from a league perspective.

http://www.tsn.ca/lawyers-follow-the-money-as-court-releases-chl-team-financials-1.682888

Also notice that the highest earning Ontario team is Kitchener. Their profits are low... but they also hide that all in charity. I think last year they gave like $900,000 away to the Kitchener Minor Hockey Association.

1 hour ago, grande said:

To be fair to Buzzfeed, they've recently been expanding their news/journalism side of the website.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tag/journalism

Some of the titles there are far from clickbait. 

Here's a pretty interesting article about their transition: https://www.poynter.org/2016/how-buzzfeed-built-an-investigative-team-from-the-ground-up/396656/

They're also leaking readership and are rated under infowars in terms of trust. That said read buzzfeed my buddy works there and needs the job 

Was listening to the new Vocal Minority podcast (TFC supporters) and one of them went to the TFC breakfast and asked Manning about his CPL comments and he stood by them and used the pizza analogy again (he must of practiced that line a lot).

Anyways he might be going on the pod in the near future and I'll know they'll ask him about it if he does.  I'll give the heads up if it happens.

2 hours ago, matty said:

For the people screaming pro/rel is needed to be a serious league or whatever

For me the issue of pro/rel has nothing to do with being a 'serious league'. It more has to do with MLS hijacking every soccer club in North America Drawing over 10,000 fans and growing the league to an absurd number of teams..... say like 40+

I mean that may seem far fetched BUT they are allready shooting for 28 teams - with many others lined up salivating to get in.

There needs to be a mechanism for leagues other then MLS to have successful franchises and not have them leave for MLS the second they actually become successful.

Im on a roll tonight so just one more totally random thought. I have seen a few people suggest the CPL would be lucky to draw a few thousand fans a game and further more Halifax would be lucky to hit 2,000.

I was looking at the National Lacrosse League attendances for last year. A league with basically 0 media coverage, in a sport with basically 0 media coverage - Saskatoon (similar market to Halifax) and Calgary drew 11,500 per game while even Toronto managed 9000 fans per game.

If an indoor Lacrosse  league can draw in Canada why couldn't the worlds most popular game? Just something to think about......

Archived