Canadian Premier League

ted

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Is community differentiation necessary though? What differentiates Everton fans from Liverpool fans? Or Man City fans from Man Utd?

There would likely be some factors that would differentiate the teams initially (assuming two teams) and presumably the grounds would not be as close together as Tannadice & Dens Park.

fixed your post.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re; Montreal CPL.

If there is an ownership will there it seems clear the marketing conditions may exist for a CPL franchise to carve it's niche into the Montreal footie market but I just don't know.  A lot of ducks need to get into line to make it have a reasonable chance at success and yes, although it doesn't get mentioned much you get the feeling that LOCATION will matter a tonne.  Vital really as it can give an upstart an advantage over an existing property (MLS).  Saputo won't just let it happen though.  But Saputo is invested in his stadium and like it or not that's a marriage he can't easily be divorced from.

Which gets us back to the why the flatlanders can expect 3 clubs (or more) in spite of population disadvantages.  The million people in the Winnipeg catchment are an island.  Literally,  Alone and a 1,000 km from anything else.  Same to a lesser degree holds true of Edmonton and Calgary but there other dynamics play into things to create an isolation of sorts.

Have to believe all three locations, in isolation, can support a multi million dollar footie enterprises.     

The CanPL should be 24-32 games in a season from March to October with Eastern Confrence and Western Confrence and playoffs from October till November-December and the team with the most points in the regular season win a trophy ( just like MLS ) and CanPL Clubs will participate in the AmyWay Canadian championship as well 

Western Confrence

Victoria

Vancouver 

Bunaby/Surrey 

Edmonton

Calgary

Saskatoon

Regina

Winnipeg

Saskatoon

Thunder Bay ( They have the Thunder Bay chill and yes I know it's Ontario but it's northern Ontario)

Eastern Confrence 

Kitchener-Waterloo

London

Hamilton

Toronto (Midtown/Danforth or North York )

Laval 

Montreal-Downtown

Québec City

Moncton

Halifax

Mississauga 

Top 5 from each conference makes it the the playoffs and the team that finished in 1st in each conference skips all the way to the conference finals and the other 4 teams in the playoffs play Another club they will be 4 clubs in the quarterfinals then 2 in the semifinals and then whoever makes it to the confrence finals will play the team who finished in 1st during the regular season and each playoffs matches are 2 legs home and away and AND the winner of the PLAYOFFS & THE AMWAY CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIP goes to the CONCACAF Champions league 

Compare the shape of the field at Stade Saputo:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stade+Saputo/@45.5632751,-73.5527468,180m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cc91c117697f9d7:0x67b9aad1829ded5e!8m2!3d45.56403!4d-73.550719?hl=en

to that at CEPSUM:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ctre+d'éducation+physique+et+des+sports,+Montréal,+QC+H3T+1J4,+Canada/@45.5089399,-73.6120752,181m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cc9198e674459b1:0x4f491fdfaed91103!8m2!3d45.5082324!4d-73.6127305?hl=en

Only one of them looks like a professional soccer venue, because it is much closer to being square-shaped than the other. If you want a decent game of soccer you need a pitch that is at least 70 yards wide to provide space in the midfield for skill players to perform to the best of their abilities. Playing on a narrower field than that which is shaped like an airport runway (even worse that there are what look like permanent football markings) will result in a game that looks like this in terms of having a congested midfield that kills the entertainment value:

The key to progress is doing what Halifax are planning by building a real soccer specific venue rather than shoehorning a soccer team into a Canadian football stadium that treats soccer as an afterthought. This google maps image from Ottawa shows the extra width that you need to have a field that is suitable for pro level soccer:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lansdowne+Park/@45.3980113,-75.6838516,181m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce05c039265a1d:0x10f28f2cceb39ab2!8m2!3d45.3965837!4d-75.6880171?hl=en

12 hours ago, fmfranck said:

Let me start by saying, that it's a pretty solid case, and it may end up being what is recognized as the best option by an eventual ownership group. Personally, i have a preference for another location. I dont know if I shouldve started a thread specifically for a Montréal team at this point, but regardless, here goes. 

Negatives

- Access :  Although you might get the impression looking at a map that Percival Molson is, since being downtown, easy to access, it isnt. It's a 1,5 km walk from the closest métro station, and its uphill. It is picturesque having a stadium on a mountain side, but it comes with it's load of inconvenience. 

- Team identity : Since Montréal already have a soccer team, it's inevitable that a new team would be defined by comparison to the Impact. I feel that having a team on McGill grounds will create a sort of franco-anglo divide. Obviously the Impact have a very franco identity in terms of the imagery of the club and it's geographical location only adds to that image. (east end is mostly all franco) So putting a team in McGill territory might make it the "de facto" favorite for anglos. It's not a totally horrible thought, as it would add an element of rivalry, but I personally wouldn't like it.

Some might point to the Alouettes already playing there, and this not being an issue. The difference is that the Al's dont have a cross town rival to identify themselves to by opposition. 

- Stadium size : 30k! Recently, the Alouettes have had more and more of a hard time filling out the stadium themselves. I have a hard time imagining a new non-MLS (i am a CanPL supporter, just being realistic here) team attracting even half of that audience. Even the Impact aren't impervious to experiencing difficulties filling out 22k Saputo. 

Positives : 

- Existing infrastucture (if it's Percival Molson stadium): This one is pretty straight forward. Zero spending necessary for the new ownership (except for rental fees obviously). 

Familiarity : People will be familiar with its location, and many of the new supporters will have gone to a CFL game there and will be able to picture themselves having a great time there.

=================================================================================

My preference : CEPSUM Stadium.

Similar to Percival Molson stadium, it is a football university stadium, but this time for Université de Montréal. It is EXACTLY the other side of Mont Royal from the McGill stadium.

Screen_Shot_2017_02_21_at_6_49_51_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2017_02_21_at_6_50_37_PM.png

084_Les%20gradins%20couverts%20du%20CEPS

B18bH8zIMAEOIHQ.jpg

- Accessibility : Contrary to Percival Molson, the CEPSUM has a métro station DIRECTLY linked to it (less than 100 meters). Not only that, but that métro station will soon be linked with the new electrical train that will connect the west island, the north shore, downtown and the south shore. Which means that the west island (who have been complaining non stop since 1976 that the Olympic stadium is too far east) would have a direct métro link to that stadium. No more than a 15 mins ride. This new system would also connect to downtown with a 3 mins ride. 

- Stadium size : At 5,100 it's definitely on the small size of what we'd expect to get for CanPL games, but the stadium is in need of an update actually. The south stand is dwarved by its northern neighbour, and could use some expansion. Université de Montréal are in the midst of a very large expansion, and wouldnt be adversed to expanding their stadium given the governments or private sector help with the funding a little. 

- It's AS beautiful:  Similar to Percival Molson, it's on the mountain side and has a very nice view to all that sweet sweet foliage. 

- It would be in different neighbourhoods than the Impact : The Percival Molson stadium, although far from the Olympic village, is located pretty much near the same neighbourhoods. They are the french neighbourhoods of Saint-Marie-St-Jacques (plateau Mont-Royal, Centre-Sud, and Hochelaga-Maisonneuve). 

The Cepsum, on the other hand, is located in a totally different area of Montréal. It's pretty interesting too because its at the cross roads of three very distinctive buroughs : Ville Mont-Royal (a high end english neighbourhood), Outremont (a high end, but also partly student inhabited neighbourhood) and Côte-des-Neiges (a 100% immigrant neighbourhood). I definitely think this eclectical and diverse area would serve a new football club well. 

On top of that, the métro to Cepsum is on the blue line. Which means other "urban core" boroughs that might feel Percival Molson is far will be directly linked to the stadium (Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, Hampstead, Saint-Michel).

========================================================================

Sorry for dragging on for so long, but here's my take on where the Montréal team could operate from. As for the ownership group, I'd rather it be a consortium of businessmen who decide to take it on. But who am I kidding. I'd be a bit afraid with a Molson ownership. The habs have such a monopoly in this city, and I'd fear the CanPL club would just be an afterthought to the Molson family.

We should start a CPL Montreal thread. You convinced me on the location of the stadium and all your other arguments. I still maintain that Molson would be a better owner as they have the marketing machine and the Habs brand to rival and easily surpass the Montreal Impact in the media.

Molson is also an owner dedicated to win and with a winning tradition. I'm sure he'd make the right hires to manage the club properly and make it a winner. He'd most likely continue the tradition of having a French speaking coach and he'd put an emphasis on French speaking players which would draw fans.

Start a thread with your post as the 1st post.

9 hours ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

The CanPL should be 24-32 games in a season from March to October with Eastern Confrence and Western Confrence and playoffs from October till November-December and the team with the most points in the regular season win a trophy ( just like MLS ) and CanPL Clubs will participate in the AmyWay Canadian championship as well 

Western Confrence

Victoria

Vancouver 

Bunaby/Surrey 

Edmonton

Calgary

Saskatoon

Regina

Winnipeg

Saskatoon

Thunder Bay ( They have the Thunder Bay chill and yes I know it's Ontario but it's northern Ontario)

Eastern Confrence 

Kitchener-Waterloo

London

Hamilton

Toronto (Midtown/Danforth or North York )

Laval 

Montreal-Downtown

Québec City

Moncton

Halifax

Mississauga 

Top 5 from each conference makes it the the playoffs and the team that finished in 1st in each conference skips all the way to the conference finals and the other 4 teams in the playoffs play Another club they will be 4 clubs in the quarterfinals then 2 in the semifinals and then whoever makes it to the confrence finals will play the team who finished in 1st during the regular season and each playoffs matches are 2 legs home and away and AND the winner of the PLAYOFFS & THE AMWAY CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIP goes to the CONCACAF Champions league 

I'm assuming that the first Saskatoon will be Saskatoon City and the second will actually be Martensville-Warman United.

Saskatoon is such a soccer hotbed. 

Interesting snippet:

Beyond that, 2026 is the lightning rod for the movers and shakers of the CPL. The hope is that the CSA will be able to make a solid bid to host the World Cup in 2026, and “we’ve got to improve the Canadian player pool to the degree that we’ve earned a place in that global conversation”.

Have long suspected that was the case, so it's good to see it confirmed. What happens if it is a joint rather than a solo bid?

58 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Very comprehensive synopsis of our recent supporters group conference call by Nathan from K-W - http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/paul-beirne-canpl-supporters-talk-canadas-soccer-future/

Thanks for that.  Interesting the Beirne says nothing is forthcoming soon and yet Totera is all hyped lately.

48 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I see a couple details had to be edited out :D

Such a tease lol

Even when it is only the MLS cities that are likely to host in a joint bid (Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, Seattle, San Francisco, Cagary, Halifax, Winnipeg, Hamilton anyone?) and the USSF were planning on sitting out the bidding process for 2026 in the NASL Canada days back when Sepp Blatter was still in charge? Doubt it. They need a solo bid to get a slice of the action.

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Interesting snippet:

Beyond that, 2026 is the lightning rod for the movers and shakers of the CPL. The hope is that the CSA will be able to make a solid bid to host the World Cup in 2026, and “we’ve got to improve the Canadian player pool to the degree that we’ve earned a place in that global conversation”.

Have long suspected that was the case, so it's good to see it confirmed. What happens if it is a joint rather than a solo bid?

Given the Montagliani radio interviews over the past year, I think a joint bid is Plan A. 

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Thanks for that.  Interesting the Beirne says nothing is forthcoming soon and yet Totera is all hyped lately.

Such a tease lol

I actually think the 'nothing forthcoming' part and the 'Totera hype' part might make some sense. Beirne was pretty straightforward when he said that the current quiet period meant that a lot of important work was going on. If Totera heard about some of this, then his excitement would make sense. 

I'm not sure what the parts were that were edited out. :0

1 minute ago, rob.notenboom said:

I actually think the 'nothing forthcoming' part and the 'Totera hype' part might make some sense. Beirne was pretty straightforward when he said that the current quiet period meant that a lot of important work was going on. If Totera heard about some of this, then his excitement would make sense. 

I'm not sure what the parts were that were edited out. :0

I proofread the article for Nathan, I just noticed that one specific significant  detail was cut. I'm assuming it was considered too specific at this point 

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Agree where the CSA is concerned, which is why that angle being mentioned seemed a bit odd to me.

Eh I wouldn't say that. I think the hype surrounding hosting a bid is a "high tide raises all ships" type of thing that would help pique the interest of potential fans, particularly the type of people who enjoy soccer as a sport but aren't engaged in any sort of fandom beyond cheering for their grandparent's country in the world cup

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...and nothing to do with CalgaryNext project getting the necessary funding and Halifax finally getting a CFL sized stadium built out of public infrastructure money? Maybe I'm too cynical.

Halifax getting an 8000 seat privately funded stadium has got to have next to nothing to do with a WC bid. I imagine it's been brought up at some point as a potential future pathway once the market is "tested", but considering the winners of the bid are announced after the league launch, I don't think anything hinges on specific infrastructure spending. 

CalgaryNEXT I can see that line of thinking, especially considering Calgary would probably be 4th in line to get WC games, but I also think that they've got reason to pursue CPL regardless of how the WC pans out. CSEC invests in everything, including pro lacrosse, I don't think taking a swing on a low cost pro soccer league was ever going to be a hard sell for them 

Just now, Complete Homer said:

..I don't think taking a swing on a low cost pro soccer league was ever going to be a hard sell for them 

...as long as there was the potential for a big pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. In 2014 we were being told by Duane Rollins that Calgary might field an NASL team along with Hamilton in 2015. Now, we still hear lots from the Ticats, but the silence in Calgary (and Winnipeg) is deafening.

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Even when it is only the MLS cities that are likely to host in a joint bid (Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, Seattle, San Francisco, Cagary, Halifax, Winnipeg, Hamilton anyone?) and the USSF were planning on sitting out the bidding process for 2026 in the NASL Canada days back when Sepp Blatter was still in charge? Doubt it. They need a solo bid to get a slice of the action.

The joint bid has always been a possibility. Even when the US was saying they weren't game many powerplayers wanted the US to host and the idea of a joint bid was floated as a result.

Even with the possibility of not hosting games, the CPL and its teams will get a ton of support from the event and get a massive jolt of promotion and it's likely 1 to 3 cities would get thrown in with the Canadian MLS markets as host cities.

Also for everyone predicting the US/Mexico cities involved: Dallas will get the final

1 minute ago, matty said:

...the CPL and its teams will get a ton of support from the event and get a massive jolt of promotion and it's likely 1 to 3 cities would get thrown in with the Canadian MLS markets as host cities...

FIFA caps the number of venues at 12 and joint hostings don't need to be done on a 50:50 or 33:33:33 basis when there is a massive population imbalance involved.

Archived