Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Well I heard in USL some of its players get  a few hundred dollars a week. Im thinking the CPL will be offering a 'living wage' to their players. So yea I think many players would be tickled pink to make the move.

Average is believed to be $2000 a month in USL and $30,000 in NASL. Beyond just money, some just want to play close to home and be near family and friends (especially many of the Euro guys who don't play in high paying leagues)

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

I have to disagree on this and here's why...

I did an exercise at work last fall to find how many Canadians we're playing in USL outside of the Canadian clubs. I could officily count only 15 and let's say at that time I missed 10 players, that's like 25 (hugely optimistic) in the entire league outside of the Canadian franchise.

The Mother of All Canadians Abroad list has 51 US based NASL and USL players on it.  I think it's usually pretty current.

Since I don't want Kurt Larson articles to get any sort of clicks and subsequent advertising revenue, I'll save people the click. Bill Manning met with Scott Mitchell of the Tiger-Cats. Manning is "supportive" of the CPL if they stay out of the Toronto market (ie. if they don't put a team in Toronto to compete with TFC). Here's the meat of it.

What’s unclear, though, is everything else — particularly whether CPL officials will heed Manning’s advice to put a TFC reserve squad in the league.

“If we don’t have a team in the league, we’ll still be supportive as long as you’re not competing with us,” Manning told the Toronto Sun.

“There are some people who feel having a (reserve) team makes the league appear less than they want it to be. To me, I think we could add strength.

“There are people who believe we could be good for the league. We’ve shown our cards. We’d like to be in the league. Do you want us in the league or not? We’ll see.”

A CPL official refused comment Thursday after being asked if the CPL was pursuing potential ownership groups in the Toronto area.

It’s been reported that the CPL is seeking teams in Hamilton, Regina, Calgary, Winnipeg and Victoria. Additionally, the Ottawa Fury and FC Edmonton could join the newly-formed league.

“A business model where they’re in some of these other cities like Hamilton and Calgary and Kitchener and these other places, that’s great,” Manning added. “That’s the perfect model. You get that community feel. You could build some good franchises.”

There are questions, however, as to whether an all-Canadian league can survive without a club in its biggest market.

“I told (Mitchell): ‘We’re interested in the league.’ But we’re very protective of Toronto. This is our market.

“We want to be supportive of the CPL, but we don’t want to be competitive. That’s something we don’t want to do.

As insightful as this is, it's not really "news" as much as "informed speculation" and "TFC thoughts about the CPL".

Not like we really found out anything new about the league apart from "TFC doesn't want to compete with it", which isn't exactly new.

A CPL official refused comment Thursday

Honestly, the most important part of this whole article for me is that there's a CPL official who exists to refuse comment.

I completely understand that Manning wouldn't want a CPL team in Toronto.  From his perspective everything he said was totally rational.

I do completely disagree with his 3rd tier in CPL.

Also this article was a soft confirmation of some cities.  Hamilton, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary and Victoria among the dozen or so markets.

10 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Since I don't want Kurt Larson articles to get any sort of clicks and subsequent advertising revenue, I'll save people the click. Bill Manning met with Scott Mitchell of the Tiger-Cats. Manning is "supportive" of the CPL if they stay out of the Toronto market (ie. if they don't put a team in Toronto to compete with TFC). Here's the meat of it.

Oh you just want to win the day ;)

14 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I completely understand that Manning wouldn't want a CPL team in Toronto.  From his perspective everything he said was totally rational.

Also this article was a soft confirmation of some cities.  Hamilton, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary and Victoria among the dozen or so markets.

I actually completely appreciate his blunt honesty. He doesn't want competition on his investment, but he appreciates what the league is trying to do as long as it doesn't lose him money. I can't blame him for that in the slightest.

3 minutes ago, Diamondium said:

I actually completely appreciate his blunt honesty. He doesn't want competition on his investment, but he appreciates what the league is trying to do as long as it doesn't lose him money. I can't blame him for that in the slightest.

I will agree with this. Best to know where they stand 

'Sure I'm all for developing the useless, non-existent Canadian players in their third rate league on teams at least 300km away from the GTA's city limits because, heaven forbid, they might siphon a few fans away from us. As long as they don't interfere with my gravy train I'm all in favour. And hey, lots of them can play on the CanMNT or maybe even reach the lofty heights of MLS one day.'

Colour me unimpressed. 

43 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I just don't like the proxy-war tactic of using Larson. Lots of people realize Larson is a mouth piece, but many don't and it's irksome to see TFC use one of the larger platforms to fire warning shots

The league ABSOLUTELY needs another Toronto team. If it doesn't I can't see how this can be considered serious.

I love the fact that TFC is concerned about this, but the reality of the Toronto market, is that its big enough to support two soccer teams, its big enough to have two competing youth academies, its big enough to sustain revenue in dollars....as a TFC fan, Manning can fuck off bout putting TFC III in the league. They missed out on monopolizing the market by not putting TFC II downtown. 

So now I hope theres willing owners who will be brave enough to start a project right downtown at Lamport Stadium.

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

For Ansem. check Sandors CDN power rankings on Plastic pitch site, they are acurate as far as I can see.  He has 104 total CDN players getting min in USL in 2016, 22 of them on American teams.  11 of the top 25 are on US clubs.  

104...I don't even need to check to know thats bullshit. Matter fact the math ain't even right.

I'll ask thr pro-CPL this question, if Toronto can support two teams, why aren't there 2 NHL, CFL, NBA, MLS or MLB teams nowadays?? I'm sure their billionaire owners out there, but nobody has stepped up to plate.  Regarding TFC, the new CPL league has no choice but to play with MLSE.  Look at what happened to the Lynx when MLS came a calling, they wisely lowered themselves to D3 status, and operated it as a charity.  Same situation will happen in Montreal or Vancouver if the CPL wants to compete against MLS.  It'll be a costly war that won't benefit nobody and might do the CPL more harm then good.

1 minute ago, nolbertos said:

I'll ask thr pro-CPL this question, if Toronto can support two teams, why aren't there 2 NHL, CFL, NBA, MLS or MLB teams nowadays?? I'm sure their billionaire owners out there, but nobody has stepped up to plate.  Regarding TFC, the new CPL league has no choice but to play with MLSE.  Look at what happened to the Lynx when MLS came a calling, they wisely lowered themselves to D3 status, and operated it as a charity.  Same situation will happen in Montreal or Vancouver if the CPL wants to compete against MLS.  It'll be a costly war that won't benefit nobody and might do the CPL more harm then good.

I can only speak for NHL but that would be because Toronto has huge sway on decision making in the NHL. The Leafs don't want the competition pretty much. They don't have 'official' veto power anymore but they do everything in their power to obstruct any potential team movement near them.

11 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

The league ABSOLUTELY needs another Toronto team. If it doesn't I can't see how this can be considered serious.

I love the fact that TFC is concerned about this, but the reality of the Toronto market, is that its big enough to support two soccer teams, its big enough to have two competing youth academies, its big enough to sustain revenue in dollars....as a TFC fan, Manning can fuck off bout putting TFC III in the league. They missed out on monopolizing the market by not putting TFC II downtown. 

So now I hope theres willing owners who will be brave enough to start a project right downtown at Lamport Stadium.

Yes there must be a team in Toronto or the GTA but I feel this needs to be said: Lamport belongs to the Wolfpack now. They're the main tenant and their schedule set-up makes a CPL team sharing it very, very difficult.

Archived