Canadian Premier League

ted

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

I don't think any sports league would consider university students as their prime demographic other than the CIS.  They are a demographic and one that should be appealed to but then they should be appealing to every demographic.  

We may have jumped the shark when we're arguing this lol.

That's ok. 'Jumped the shark on page 81' would be an appropriate title to this thread. 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

I thought some people might find these average attendance numbers from England interesting (2016/17 season thus far). I'm not trying to make a point, just providing information.

Prem: 35,795

Championship: 19,705 (*)

League One: 7,756

League Two: 4,594 (**)

National League Prem: 1,767

National League N/S: 863

(*) Newcastle's presence in the Championship this season skews the numbers a bit (approx 51,000 average home attendance).

(**) And Portsmouth are currently pumping up the League Two numbers.

The rule of thumb I use is 36,000 in the Prem and each time you drop down a level the average is a bit less than half (36,17,8,4-,2-,1-).

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-premier-league-2016-2017/1/

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveengnl.htm

how can you subtly belittle someone if you're not trying to make a point????? I don't understand this type of post :P

18 hours ago, dsqpr said:

League One: 7,756

League Two: 4,594 (**)

I don't think anyone on here would complain if the #CanPL started out at both the attendance level and skill level seen in League One. I think if it started out with the inflated attendance numbers of League Two most would be satisfied for the first year. Does anyone on here have delusions of the league starting at 10,000 av. attendance?

3 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

I don't think anyone on here would complain if the #CanPL started out at both the attendance level and skill level seen in League One. I think if it started out with the inflated attendance numbers of League Two most would be satisfied for the first year. Does anyone on here have delusions of the league starting at 10,000 av. attendance?

I'm expecting 100k minimum first season.

Our stadiums will block out the sun!

9 hours ago, Steedman said:

CPL will be a hit, but we know they've made it big when CPL B starts up.

About CPL Division 1

2016 Census Top 20 Metropolitain areas

Toronto (2 731 571)(Mississauga (721 599), Brampton (593 638))

Ontario

Montreal (1 704 694) (Laval (401 533))

Quebec

Vancouver (631 486) (Surrey 517 887))

British Columbia

Calgary

Alberta

Ottawa–Gatineau

Ontario/Quebec

Edmonton

Alberta

Quebec City (Lévis)

Quebec

Winnipeg

Manitoba

Hamilton (Burlington)

Ontario

Kitchener–Cambridge–Waterloo

Ontario

London

Ontario

St. Catharines - Niagara (Niagara Falls, Welland)

Ontario

Halifax

Nova Scotia

Oshawa (Whitby, Clarington)

Ontario

Victoria (Saanich)

British Columbia

Windsor (Lakeshore)

Ontario

Saskatoon

Saskatchewan

Regina

Saskatchewan

Sherbrooke (Magog)

Quebec

St. John's (Conception Bay South, Mount Pearl, Paradise)

Newfoundland and Labrador

About CPL B

1-If MLS Canadian Clubs are serious about helping Canadian soccer, they have the power, the wealth and resources to work with the CSA and CPL to create a true Division 2 league in Canada where all the clubs can put their B teams in. It's a win for everyone.

2-As optimistic as I am about CPL and a true Canadian D1 in our country, I'm very pessimistic and consider wishful thinking the creation of a standalone Division 2 League like England's English Championship. I think an "AHL" approach to CPL is much more realistic and viable as the main team would be supporting it. Implement them in smaller markets that are away from the main Metro area to allow for more coverage.

3-Then we could create a Pro/Rel system where the champions of the Division 3 leagues would have a Memorial Cup tournament with Promotion to D2 as the prize.

4-As long as MLSE and/or the others are insisting on putting their teams in CPL Division 1, I consider such action as hostile.

32 minutes ago, Ansem said:

If MLS Canadian Clubs are serious about helping Canadian soccer, they have the power, the wealth and resources to work with the CSA and CPL to create a true Division 2 league in Canada.... think an "AHL" approach to CPL is much more realistic and viable as the main team would be supporting it. Implement them in smaller markets that are away from the main Metro area to allow for more coverage.

Those are pretty much the arguments for why the three MLS teams should have affiliated entries in the league that the CSA is trying to put together at the moment.

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Those are pretty much the arguments for why the three MLS teams should have affiliated entries in the league that the CSA is trying to put together at the moment.

CPL isn't supposed to be those MLS clubs' AHL. It's perfectly doable to create a CPL D2 and have all the clubs put their B team in it. As you're so keen on making assumptions, has it crossed your mind that perhaps all those meetings have been about that instead? If the 3 MLS Club ownerships shifted their resources away from the USSF system and invested in the CSA instead like a D2 league, it's actually a win for everyone and their resources would be most welcome

Just now, matty said:

What evidence do you have that the CSA is trying to get the MLS teams affiliates in the league?

Did you learn nothing from the rapid kneejerk post that you sent when you failed to notice the word "if" in one of my posts? Nothing in the sentence that I wrote implies that the CSA are trying to do anything where affiliates of the MLS teams are concerned.

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

CPL isn't supposed to be those MLS clubs' AHL. It's perfectly doable to create a CPL D2 and have all the clubs put their B team in it. As you're so keen on making assumptions, has it crossed your mind that perhaps all those meetings have been about that instead? If the 3 MLS Club ownerships shifted their resources away from the USSF system and invested in the CSA instead like a D2 league, it's actually a win for everyone and their resources would be most welcome

That would actually be a super cool structure if CPL and CanMLS shared a development league. CanMLS teams get a designated league for their development, CPL teams benefit from their youth players playing against higher competition occasionally (as I assume MLS development teams would be stronger for a while).

12 minutes ago, Diamondium said:

That would actually be a super cool structure if CPL and CanMLS shared a development league. CanMLS teams get a designated league for their development, CPL teams benefit from their youth players playing against higher competition occasionally (as I assume MLS development teams would be stronger for a while).

Exactly and that's the MLS Clubs best shot at having a huge say on how that league would be run as they would be most likely among its biggest contributor AND gain influence within the CSA. It's actually in their best interest to start putting some of their resources at the service of the CSA and Canada to gain more influence in Canadian Soccer which could serve them down the road.

51 minutes ago, Alex D said:

Just due to the quality of Canadian players currently I'm not sure if we would need a D2 quite yet. CPL reserve teams could definitely help fill out the proposed reginal D3 league though. 

Agreed completely, just thinking of this as a neat 'way down the road' type idea. 

270 pages into an unnanounced league's thread starts to get a bit thin on conversation topics I suppose. :lol:

1 hour ago, Alex D said:

Just due to the quality of Canadian players currently I'm not sure if we would need a D2 quite yet. CPL reserve teams could definitely help fill out the proposed reginal D3 league though. 

I have to disagree on this and here's why...

I did an exercise at work last fall to find how many Canadians we're playing in USL outside of the Canadian clubs. I could officily count only 15 and let's say at that time I missed 10 players, that's like 25 (hugely optimistic) in the entire league outside of the Canadian franchise.

So either:

• they play in USL in the MLS B teams and will be stuck there for a long time
  • Stuck in D3 limbo
  • D3 or lower elsewhere and barely seeing minutes?
  • Give up

That huge hole at D2 needs to be filled. There aren't enough spots for Canadian players to play and they have to address it sooner rather than later. Since the CPL teams will be required to have academies, might as well combined them and put them in a "AHL" league instead of D3 which is not even on par with USL

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Did you learn nothing from the rapid kneejerk post that you sent when you failed to notice the word "if" in one of my posts? Nothing in the sentence that I wrote implies that the CSA are trying to do anything where affiliates of the MLS teams are concerned.

hey i deleted the post in less than a minute dude. clearly i realised the error and got rid of it right away. somehow not fast enough for you

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I have to disagree on this and here's why...

I did an exercise at work last fall to find how many Canadians we're playing in USL outside of the Canadian clubs. I could officily count only 15 and let's say at that time I missed 10 players, that's like 25 (hugely optimistic) in the entire league outside of the Canadian franchise.

So either:

• they play in USL in the MLS B teams and will be stuck there for a long time
  • Stuck in D3 limbo
  • D3 or lower elsewhere and barely seeing minutes?
  • Give up

That huge hole at D2 needs to be filled. There aren't enough spots for Canadian players to play and they have to address it sooner rather than later. Since the CPL teams will be required to have academies, might as well combined them and put them in a "AHL" league instead of D3 which is not even on par with USL

I'd imagine a lot of those USL players will be filling out the back end of the CPL rosters. 

9 minutes ago, Alex D said:

I'd imagine a lot of those USL players will be filling out the back end of the CPL rosters. 

I wouldn't go as far as "filling" but it's undeniable that many Canadians on those USL teams are fit to play in MLS but can't due to lack of opportunity.

Will be interesting to see what happens once their contracts with the MLS side are up.

Archived