Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/14/2016 at 2:11 PM, Ansem said:

True, Halifax has over 417k in their metro area but 1.6 million people are within 3 hour drive from Moncton. Granted it won't guarantee anything on weekdays but on weekends, it's a new thing to due for families and friends to do...getting into Moncton for a top league match while invigorating the Moncton core economy.

I mean realistically there is no reason not have a franchise in Moncton AND Halifax. It would actually make alot of sense travel wise not to have just one team in the Maritimes. Neither one would draw from the others market. It would also set up a nice rivalry. Best part is Moncton has a Stadium and Halifax is exploring the idea of building an 8000 seat downtown facility. 

Would make perfect sense to me. 

Ohh except one thing I guess Moncton would need a willing owner to step forward   :)

4 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I mean realistically there is no reason not have a franchise in Moncton AND Halifax. It would actually make alot of sense travel wise not to have just one team in the Maritimes. Neither one would draw from the others market. It would also set up a nice rivalry. Best part is Moncton has a Stadium and Halifax is exploring the idea of building an 8000 seat downtown facility. 

Would make perfect sense to me. 

Ohh except one thing I guess Moncton would need a willing owner to step forward   :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm counting on that rivalry to happen. As I was discussing with my coworker Ironcub today, a Quebec City CPL team will attract potential investors like flies to start a Montreal CPL team. Toronto vs Montreal might be intense but nothing will ever come close to the Quebec City vs Montreal rivalry. Trust me, that's pure hate that transcends sports... Those 2 cities absolutely hate each other.

A CPL Montreal vs Quebec City match are GUARANTEED sellouts. Percival-Molson Stadium? 25 000 tickets sold and vice-versa.

26 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm counting on that rivalry to happen. As I was discussing with my coworker Ironcub today, a Quebec City CPL team will attract potential investors like flies to start a Montreal CPL team. Toronto vs Montreal might be intense but nothing will ever come close to the Quebec City vs Montreal rivalry. Trust me, that's pure hate that transcends sports... Those 2 cities absolutely hate each other.

A CPL Montreal vs Quebec City match are GUARANTEED sellouts. Percival-Molson Stadium? 25 000 tickets sold and vice-versa.

I'm actually kinda saddened by what I know will happen the first time a Hamilton soccer club meets TFC at Tim Hortons Field. I know, for a sad fact that several fans will don Red over Black and Gold, and make us visitors in our own field. I suppose it's karma. Lord knows Ti-Cat fans have been doing that to the Argos for ages.

I'll never forget that East Final in 2013, when 2/3rds of the dome was wearing Black and Gold, when all the fans who didn't want to make the trek to Guelph that year decided "Yeah, l guess I should go to the playoffs in the dome", where we had a fan next to Rob Ford with a sign saying "Our Mayor is better then yours", when every time they shouted Argos on the loudspeaker, it was immediately followed en masse by the word 'Suck'

C'est la vie I suppose.

1 hour ago, -Hammer- said:

I'm actually kinda saddened by what I know will happen the first time a Hamilton soccer club meets TFC at Tim Hortons Field. I know, for a sad fact that several fans will don Red over Black and Gold, and make us visitors in our own field. I suppose it's karma. Lord knows Ti-Cat fans have been doing that to the Argos for ages.

I sure hope it would take a lot more than three TFC fans to make you guys visitors in your own stadium, lol. 

12 hours ago, Ansem said:

While I agree with most of what you say, I just hope that if we (MTL) gets a CPL team, it doesn't play at Molson Stadium mainly because of the bench seating. One of the reasons I only go see the Als  play is when I could get tickets on the south side on the first 2 rows only(seats). But that's only my personal  and selfish reason. Now that Impact FC don't exist anymore Claude Robillard(cap.8500 app.) could be a suitable stadium. On the other hand I think if a team in Mtl area is to thrive,it probably would have a better chance in  places like Laval or the West Island(the French-English & east- west thing to compete with the Impact).Just my 2 cents.

On 12/14/2016 at 0:55 PM, Oranje said:

3 hour drive makes for a long fucking day. That is essentially Calgary to Edmonton and I am not sure how many Calgarians made the trek up to Edmonton to watch the Eddies play once, let alone regularly, but I am going to venture a guess and say very, very few.

Having lived in the Maritimes, it'd be a real shame if the CPL doesn't use the rivalries between the cities when planning, even though population probably dictates otherwise. But with Sydney starting a 'tech renaissance' of sorts and hopefully kick-starting a revitalization of Cape Breton, I'd love to see the Cape Breton (real) Highlanders vs. Halifax Explosion a few years down the line after CPL kicks off.

What sherm says is true...I drove 3 hours every single Calgary PDL regular season game this year.  Luckily they had a schedule where they would have 2 games in a weekend, made it much easier.

7 hours ago, marauder01 said:

Guys, I just had a thought. Jamie and I were discussing funding a trophy for the league to use, but I just thought up a name.

What if we called it The Canadian Shield? Good idea or is the hour of night playing tricks on my brain?

God damn it, I'll make The Maple Chalice happen if it's the last thing I do.

11 hours ago, marauder01 said:

Guys, I just had a thought. Jamie and I were discussing funding a trophy for the league to use, but I just thought up a name.

What if we called it The Canadian Shield? Good idea or is the hour of night playing tricks on my brain?

It needs to be a shield made of granite and inlaid with zinc and nickel lettering. 

13 hours ago, marauder01 said:

Canadian Shield is decent, but it makes me think of this Canadian shield, kinda leaves out a pretty significant portion of the west and maritimes

9d427dba-cd89-4cfb-9b96-05499c77197e.jpg

Golden Antlers or something to this effect is my vote.

Maybe not the best name but u gotta admit a golden moose rack would make the stanley cup look like a crunk cup :P

4 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Very off topic but should a Facebook Supporters page be made? Checked and there wasn't one yet. Just a more mainstream way to get the word out for when it drops 

A "Supporters United" page with links to each regional group, a link to the merchandise page, and eventually a link to a patreon? Sounds like a good idea to me

We are going to out-MLS MLS by creating single entity supporters groups ;)

Archived