Canadian Premier League

ted

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I looked into starting one to hold the name but needed to add someone and none of my friends would be interested lol

Ha, well I'd leave it to @admin to keep everything well organized under him, unless he wants someone to take the load off him for a Facebook group. 

If he's ok with it, I could make it, as I have most of the Grand River Union guys on Facebook and a couple of the Hamilton people who could be added

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Ha, well I'd leave it to @admin to keep everything well organized under him, unless he wants someone to take the load off him for a Facebook group. 

If he's ok with it, I could make it, as I have most of the Grand River Union guys on Facebook and a couple of the Hamilton people who could be added

I'm willing to start it too. And I've got connections with folks right across the country which could be helpful. 

4 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Canadian Shield is decent, but it makes me think of this Canadian shield, kinda leaves out a pretty significant portion of the west and maritimes

9d427dba-cd89-4cfb-9b96-05499c77197e.jpg

Golden Antlers or something to this effect is my vote.

Maybe not the best name but u gotta admit a golden moose rack would make the stanley cup look like a crunk cup :P

Golden Antlers would be a great name, but then it isn't "silverware." Call it the "Great Antlers" and have it silver like other big cups, and I'm all-in on this one. The goal of teams in the league is to grab Great Antlers. ;)

Another thought though, should the CPL have an FA Cup, like L1O & PLSQ have?

4 hours ago, Rheo said:

Yeah get the shirts out there out of the message board bubble. Also more chances of people finding it at random than here. Plus give any of us on there to share it with our friends who aren't the hardcore like us

yea i really think we need to keep this in mind in general.

This is great for debate in lengthy discussion, but it isn't exactly visible to the average person.

5 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

I'm pretty sure that was the point. Canadian Shield is such a well known geographical name.

Okay, but still.  kinda leaves out a big chunk of the west.

Like I like it as a name, but symbolically it should be coast to coast no?

Like the more I think about it, as a yukoner, the maple leaf is a slight fuck you to the territories.

Obviously if it's either of those i'll get over it, but a little part of me will always resent it.

1 hour ago, Rintaran said:

Golden Antlers would be a great name, but then it isn't "silverware." Call it the "Great Antlers" and have it silver like other big cups, and I'm all-in on this one. The goal of teams in the league is to grab Great Antlers. ;)

This is my vote.

I dunno just something about a big ol rack of antlers is something that I think the rest of the world would notice.

People know it's cold here - the ice cup, the canadian shield is decent but as I said, snubs the pacific coast,

and yea, no maples north of 60.

But i'll quit beating my drum, y'all know what I think.

Great Antlers kinda makes me think of like game of thrones when Kahl Drogo is like (referring to his son)  "he will be the stallion that will mount the world" - Kinda like, "you must grab the moose by it's great antlers if you are to win in Canada"

haha okay I'm done, pitch complete :P

For me, Canadian Shield has so much going for it that deserves the win.

- it is uber clear.  It is the national trophy

- a "shield" is a pretty common form of league award, along with cups, etc

- for the rock nerd in me, the geologic Canadian Shield is a killer reference. It is one of the oldest, most stable geological formations on earth.  For all you non-rock hounds out there, that's the shit.

3 hours ago, Rintaran said:

You mean a league cup, right? The FA Cup is England's national cup competition.

I would personally prefer that in place of playoffs, since playoffs tend to exclude weaker teams year after year. Having a similar setup as the semi-pro leagues means every club has three distinct competitions and opportunities to win games and impress, rather than having one or two clubs being stuck with disappointment in the league every year (FC Edmonton up until this year is a good example of that). Measuring a team's success entirely based on whether or not they make the playoffs every year isn't great for maintaining fan interest. Having more, completely seperate competitions would give fans more to look forward to if their club is doing poorly in one competition.

Moreover, playoffs as an "ultimate decider" in a league doesn't work very well competitively in soccer, since a league in which every club plays each other club an equal number of times home & away is much more accurate measure than a two-legged aggregate-score playoff.

It now looks increasingly likely that the NASL is probably going to survive and still be the USSF's D2 league next season (see the NASL subforum) with FC Edmonton along with FC Miami turning out to be very much the anchor that held it all together, and it turns out that Ottawa had to pay a $1.5 million exit fee from the NASL plus in all likelihood a USL expansion fee. Will be interesting to see what unfolds with CPL, but I think we are hearing about smaller non-CFL markets like Halifax and London (sooner than we should have, but the cat's already out of the bag) in that context, because Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa are all still going to have teams in USSF sanctioned leagues in 2018.

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/game-chicken-steep-price-exit-fees-dictating-nasls-future/

...Assuming Minnesota United gave the NASL notice it was leaving prior to June 30, it would have been required to pay a $500,000 fee. However, it is widely believed that Minnesota had an exit agreement in place that would have allowed it to leave for free, or at a substantially discounted rate. Ottawa and Tampa Bay, by giving notice between June 30 and the Championship, would have been required to pay $1.5 million each. The remainder of clubs, assuming they decide before December 15, would have to pay out $2 million each, unless the league drops below seven teams, at which point a club would only have to pay $25,000 to exit...

It's not going to be easy for the CSA to ever put humpty dumpty back together again when the various multi-millionaires that are involved have markedly different visions of how best to proceed.

That really complicates things for the CanPL.  One thing though- there had been rumblings that Ottawa was planning on leaving for a long time.  I'm not sure they didn't hit the June 30 deadline.  

Ottawa was rumoured to be a sure thing for the CanPL.  If they missed the June 30 deadline then I'm not sure they automatically become an original team.

For Edmonton getting all these exit fees and expansion fees is probably a major boon.  Them setting new ticket sales also is good news.  I know the Faths keep saying no to CanPL but it's still an interesting story to see if they will jump.

On 12/17/2016 at 3:19 PM, Rheo said:

Very off topic but should a Facebook Supporters page be made? Checked and there wasn't one yet. Just a more mainstream way to get the word out for when it drops 

I have two possibilities for this

thesupporterssection and supportlocalsoccer

Domains and FB

22 hours ago, Zem said:

You mean a league cup, right? The FA Cup is England's national cup competition.

I would personally prefer that in place of playoffs, since playoffs tend to exclude weaker teams year after year. Having a similar setup as the semi-pro leagues means every club has three distinct competitions and opportunities to win games and impress, rather than having one or two clubs being stuck with disappointment in the league every year (FC Edmonton up until this year is a good example of that). Measuring a team's success entirely based on whether or not they make the playoffs every year isn't great for maintaining fan interest. Having more, completely seperate competitions would give fans more to look forward to if their club is doing poorly in one competition.

Moreover, playoffs as an "ultimate decider" in a league doesn't work very well competitively in soccer, since a league in which every club plays each other club an equal number of times home & away is much more accurate measure than a two-legged aggregate-score playoff.

Yes, I mean League Cup. Frighteningly, the president of CSMRO seems to think the PLSQ Cup is equivalent to an FA Cup (but of no importance), and I had been e-mailing with him earlier in the day. Guess it stuck when I was doing my post.

The catch with eliminating a playoff was made blatant to me in my conversation with Luc Brutus. He was upset because CSMRO did not come out top of PLSQ in the ELO-ratings. His claim was that once the league was won, none of the remaining matches should count for the ELO-rating since they no longer matter. That's got to be the #1 thing that makes me think playoffs of some type aren't the worst thing in the world...

I think a CPL Cup, plus playoffs at the end of the season, plus the Voyageurs Cup would make for a fantastic trifecta. Add in any supporters-based rivalry plates, and we've a pretty nice way to promote different competitions.

1 hour ago, Tigers said:

I've never been a big fan of side cups involving the exact same teams. If they involve higher / lower / parallel leagues then have at'er.

I think he means 1) A cup for the playoff Championship 2) a shield/cup for the winner of the table and 3) the voyageurs cup for the champion of the whole association. Seems reasonable 

19 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It now looks increasingly likely that the NASL is probably going to survive and still be the USSF's D2 league next season (see the NASL subforum) with FC Edmonton along with FC Miami turning out to be very much the anchor that held it all together, and it turns out that Ottawa had to pay a $1.5 million exit fee from the NASL plus in all likelihood a USL expansion fee. Will be interesting to see what unfolds with CPL, but I think we are hearing about smaller non-CFL markets like Halifax and London (sooner than we should have, but the cat's already out of the bag) in that context, because Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa are all still going to have teams in USSF sanctioned leagues in 2018.

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/game-chicken-steep-price-exit-fees-dictating-nasls-future/

...Assuming Minnesota United gave the NASL notice it was leaving prior to June 30, it would have been required to pay a $500,000 fee. However, it is widely believed that Minnesota had an exit agreement in place that would have allowed it to leave for free, or at a substantially discounted rate. Ottawa and Tampa Bay, by giving notice between June 30 and the Championship, would have been required to pay $1.5 million each. The remainder of clubs, assuming they decide before December 15, would have to pay out $2 million each, unless the league drops below seven teams, at which point a club would only have to pay $25,000 to exit...

It's not going to be easy for the CSA to ever put humpty dumpty back together again when the various multi-millionaires that are involved have markedly different visions of how best to proceed.

There is a lot to digest in that article, and it really is an excellent find Blizzard.

I had a feeling that the NASL would be able to squeeze out one more season. I think we all thought that the league was done, but this article makes it still seem that the entire league is being held up by a threat of a single major exit fee, of which that threat is dubious. It's also a case, when does that 1.5 million dollar fee reset to become a 500,000 fee again? The second that happens, I can see someone flicking that domino over for next season.

I mean, the Deltas might just say "You know what, we aren't in this mess whole hog yet...see ya later" although that might be too late for them to do that. Then there is the threat of NY Cosmos, Rayo and Ft. Lauderdale declaring bankruptcy or being able to find investors of which both are possible (although I doubt they all go bankrupt, or all move forward). There is also talk that the Armada are trying to leave and are cutting staff

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/sources-jacksonville-armada-leave-nasl-target-usl-move-56140/

Also, will MLS try to poach Carolina or Indy now?

I guess we know know what the Fath's are so obstinate about jumping ship. We speculated for a while, but this is pretty much out in the open now. I almost have to wonder, are the Fath's trying to position themselves to try to get someone to pay that exit fee and get a windfall on the way out? It certainly doesn't paint a pretty picture of the league, as Ruffrider said. It make it seem like the league is one big Pyramid scheme.

I'm still kind of surprised though that Ottawa, who was complaining of money trouble would pay that high an exit fee, to go down to the USL and potentially lose a good chunk of fans in doing so (since it seems they are staying as division 3 now). I mean, paying 1.5 million to self-relegate when you have money concerns? What's even more surprising is this article reports that the windfall from those exits, was basically used to eject traffic from the league.

As far as how to proceed though, I don't really see this as an issue on the CSA's part if the CPL is coming down the pipe, as it is painfully clear how to proceed. Sanction your own league, deny any future US league involvement so long as the Canadian league is active. Then leave the door open for any existing Canadian team to come in, and run your own race so you can stay away from USSF messes like this, or if a lawsuit happens, or if USL becomes division 2 and changes player requirements, or the slew of issues being bound to the US system can cause.

On 12/18/2016 at 0:42 PM, admin said:

Domains and FB

prefer supportlocalsoccer, but no problem with the other one either.

22 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

I'm still kind of surprised though that Ottawa, who was complaining of money trouble would pay that high an exit fee, to go down to the USL and potentially lose a good chunk of fans in doing so (since it seems they are staying as division 3 now). I mean, paying 1.5 million to self-relegate when you have money concerns? What's even more surprising is this article reports that the windfall from those exits, was basically used to eject traffic from the league.

excuse my rose-coloured glasses, but this bodes well for CPL IMO(at least in terms of ottawa's involvement).  

Why else would ottawa bail on NASL to self-relegate?

Although to be fair I'm not exactly sure what 1.5 million is relative to their other finances.  Maybe it's not that much.

I could be wrong, but to me it points towards CPL.

12 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What if, as would normally be the case, they also paid an expansion fee to USL over and above that? It also sounds like they could have paid $1 million less by timing it differently. Very strange behaviour if they are intent on joining yet another league in 2018.

I agree. Only way I see it is if USL waived the expansion fees for some teams jumping ship in an effort to sink the NASL's D2 sanctioning, and Ottawa figured that a dissolved NASL would be unable to collect exit fees. 

On 12/18/2016 at 3:42 PM, admin said:

Domains and FB

You guys have got more experience in this type of stuff than I do so these are good.  But my only question would be would it not be wise to have CPL in the name.  The name means a lot to us hardcores but I would bet it seem generic to the regular person.  Also morre chance of random people finding it through search engines with CPL in there somewhere.

20 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What if, as would normally be the case, they also paid an expansion fee to USL over and above that? It also sounds like they could have paid $1 million less by timing it differently. Very strange behaviour if they are intent on joining yet another league in 2018.

The other possibility is that they thought they had good information and were making a smart move, but really had bad intuition and got screwed over.

These decisions are being made by people, after all, and people can be wrong.

Archived