Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why wasn't this posted yet: 

Former NASL Communications Director and Fort Lauderdale Strikers consultant Kartik Krishnaiyer did an AMA

He was asked: " Have you heard anything about the CPL? Do you expect Ottawa to eventually jump to that? If Edmonton stays put in the NASL, could you see the league begin Canadian soccer wars?"

Answer: "I don't expect Ottawa to go for a while. Now that they've paid a USL fee (presumably) and can bus to a number of games, they may just stay put for a while rather than risking themselves in a startup league.

As for Edmonton, I think they stay in NASL.

In other words I don't think either is in the CPL in year one"

Question:  Hey Kartik. How are you? I know you answered a bit about it already but I am and many others are curious as to what you know or have heard about the CPL. In your opinion is it the real deal and what do you expect it to be?

Him: I'm cautious about it being successful but am very supportive of it. Canada has long needed its own league that puts the interests of the Canadian player first. This is true in terms of development, style and squad rules.

I wonder though how close it really is to launching. 2018 seems ambitious.

7 minutes ago, matty said:

Question:  Hey Kartik. How are you? I know you answered a bit about it already but I am and many others are curious as to what you know or have heard about the CPL. In your opinion is it the real deal and what do you expect it to be?

Him: I'm cautious about it being successful but am very supportive of it. Canada has long needed its own league that puts the interests of the Canadian player first. This is true in terms of development, style and squad rules.

I wonder though how close it really is to launching. 2018 seems ambitious.

It's not in his interest or NASL to say otherwise. His respond is 100% normal and predictable

Yeah, I don't really know the context, but I wouldn't really trust a source that is employed by, or affiliated with, a rival league to give a fair account of CPL's current status. 

Maybe I am being unfair, but like Ansem I think this is exactly what you would expect someone like that to say about a league that has the potential to undermine USL's presence in Canada, and remove one of the remaining pillars of NASL.

His statements on Ottawa and Edmonton aren't that outlandish, assuming Ottawa really did pay exit and entry fees I can't see them leaving soon, and Edmonton has been very clear in their position 

As for launching in 2018 as very ambitious, again not that outlandish, but I take that with as much weight as if you or I said it. Peterson said in a summer interview that there hadn't been any negotiations or contact between NASL and CPL for a long time and he didn't really have any information on it. With that in mind, and how tight lipped that CSA has been in general, I don't think this guy has any special way of determining how close they are to launching 

Since this could impact a Calgary CPL club, Ken King (CEO of CSEC) mentioned today that the CalgaryNEXT project is on pause, while the Flames and the City of Calgary discuss an alternative option. Personally, I think it's been DOA right from the start but the Flames have always insisted it was the best proposal until now.

There has been talk that the fieldhouse (which would be located where the Foothills baseball stadium is today) could be an appropriate venue for soccer, but I don't really know yet.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgarynext-project-on-pause-says-ken-king

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

It's not in his interest or NASL to say otherwise. His respond is 100% normal and predictable

Think what he means is that the timeline would be very challenging to achieve now given how few franchises (really only one) have started the ball rolling on all the things that need to be done to get a fully pro D2 level team on the field in 16 months time. 

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think what he means is that the timeline would be very challenging to achieve now given how few franchises (really only one) have started the ball rolling on all the things that need to be done to get a fully pro D2 level team on the field in 16 months time. 

1-First, let's not forget the confidentiality agreement preventing the owners identity from being made public, which is a normal thing, especially regarding CPL.

2-Oh, It`s D1, not D2.

3-2019 would have made more sense to me as well with more teams but the World Cup bid might be the driving factor behind starting as of 2018 even if its only 6 teams. CSA would want to include an up and running D1 league in their bid as a further argument for FIFA to choose Canada so that the league long term success can be secured, just like it did for MLS. A successful bid in 2020 would mean 6 years of soccer being mainstream in Canada with CPL riding on that wave and most likely accelerating their growth/expansion.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

3-2019 would have made more sense to me as well with more teams but the World Cup bid might be the driving factor behind starting as of 2018 even if its only 6 teams. CSA would want to include an up and running D1 league in their bid as a further argument for FIFA to choose Canada so that the league long term success can be secured, just like it did for MLS. A successful bid in 2020 would mean 6 years of soccer being mainstream in Canada with CPL riding on that wave and most likely accelerating their growth/expansion.

Also isn't 2018 the deadline for Hamilton to get a Professional team in order to maintain their rights to Pro Soccer at Tim Hortons field? If so, I would rank this as the biggest reason for the push to start the league in 2018.

1 hour ago, Toronto Ruffrider said:

Back to the trophy for a minute, what if the base of the trophy was constructed out of actual Canadian Shield material - like granite or some other igneous rock? The resulting trophy would be very Canadian, not to mention hefty.

Nice.  Seems like a very good place to start.  

I like the idea of it being very heavy 

5 hours ago, johnyb said:

Also isn't 2018 the deadline for Hamilton to get a Professional team in order to maintain their rights to Pro Soccer at Tim Hortons field? If so, I would rank this as the biggest reason for the push to start the league in 2018.

I think they already received an extension on that from the City of Hamilton, so maybe they can receive another?  You need other teams to play against and to provide but one example, is it reasonable to expect a pop-up temporary type stadium to get all the approvals needed at the municipal level in Halifax in the time available? Bear in mind that's the only other would be franchise that has gone public so far.

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I think they already received an extension on that from the City of Hamilton, so maybe they can receive another?  You need other teams to play against and to provide but one example, is it reasonable to expect a pop-up temporary type stadium to get all the approvals needed at the municipal level in Halifax in the time available? Bear in mind that's the only other would be franchise that has gone public so far.

Yeah, agreed.  I don't think it would be overly difficult to obtain an extension if need be

36 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

looks like this thing is starting to take shape.

so, Canadian Shield, granite base, top based on this thing?  Provincial/Territorial symbols around the edges?

I get the appeal of trying for something uniquely Canadian, but I'm not big on the idea of a granite, at least the way I'm imagining it. The engraving generally done on granite always reminds me of tacky school awards or tombstones 

I do, however, really like the idea of connecting it to a historic award. If the People's Shield has fallen into disuse, a resurrection would be neat to see. 

Edit: though a granite disk with a metal inlay would be nice

images.jpg

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I get the appeal of trying for something uniquely Canadian, but I'm not big on the idea of a granite, at least the way I'm imagining it. The engraving generally done on granite always reminds me of tacky school awards or tombstones 

I do, however, really like the idea of connecting it to a historic award. If the People's Shield has fallen into disuse, a resurrection would be neat to see. 

Edit: though a granite disk with a metal inlay would be nice

I think we were thinking granite for the base.  As in the bottom part.  If that makes sense.  wouldn't be engraved I wouldn't think. 

Archived