Canadian Premier League

ted

2 hours ago, matty said:

The Voyageurs should all pitch like 50 bucks to get a Shield made and gift it to the CPL

I'm pretty sure part of the t-shirt sales is to fund the shield/trophy. That said, I'd definitely be game to chip in 50 or more in addition to t-shirt sales. We want this league to last a century, investing in doing the shield right is a vote of confidence. 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, LSM said:

So... you want to jail-break it out of the BC Sports Hall of Fame?

(Somebody write to The Sunday People and see if they'll chip in to it's restoration.)

2 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

Just use the people's sheid. As cool as Canadian shield is, imagine bring the people's shield back. Symbolic.

More like a recreation with the permission of the current owner...assuming the BC Hall of Fame is holding it in trust for someone else. 

Even if they were willing to part with the relic, it looks to be in pretty bad shape, and the restoration costs are probably prohibitive. Well, actually I am just guessing that, might be worth getting a quote if said owners are indeed willing to part with it

First step would be to figure out who owns it I guess

On 23/12/2016 at 11:17 AM, shermanator said:

Since this could impact a Calgary CPL club, Ken King (CEO of CSEC) mentioned today that the CalgaryNEXT project is on pause, while the Flames and the City of Calgary discuss an alternative option. Personally, I think it's been DOA right from the start but the Flames have always insisted it was the best proposal until now.

There has been talk that the fieldhouse (which would be located where the Foothills baseball stadium is today) could be an appropriate venue for soccer, but I don't really know yet.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgarynext-project-on-pause-says-ken-king

Back in 2014 the word was that Hamilton and Calgary could be fielding NASL teams in 2015 in anticipation of an eventual Canadian division and CSEC were the presumed owners. 2026 World Cup related infrastructure money could have helped fund part of the CalgaryNEXT project in a similar way to how being the soccer venue for the PanAm games helped fund THF in Hamilton leaving the Ticats on the hook for some kind of pro soccer legacy. If CSEC were still interested in launching a pro soccer team in a league that is launching in 2018, they would probably already be taking season ticket deposits, running a name the team contest and would have their GM in place. Given that's not happening, I suspect the absence of a viable standalone World Cup bid from the CSA, has killed the momentum for an Alberta entry in CPL.

50 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

It doesn't look like it's in super bad shape.  Some cleaning up and it would look great.

sam_pic1_jan2_2014.jpg

True, but I assume a condition of any Hall of Fame/quasi museum would want any work done by a proper restorationist if they were handing it over (as would I), and I don't really know what kind of costs we would be looking at. Specifically talking about the missing border pieces

13 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Pretty sure everyone who attended the BSB meeting sighed collectively at that tweet

Regardless, Merry Christmas! 

As someone a little late to the game in terms of following CPL news on the voyageurs forum, where might I go to read up on what was discussed at BSB meeting? Or were discussions under wraps?

Just the usual attention seeking fom Anthony Totera. If anything, it's actually beginning to look like the CSA held off for now on sanctioning them (note the phrasing here implies that I expect they will eventually) as I'm sure either him or Duane Rollins would have tweeted something about that by now, if they had got the final rubber stamp. 

16 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

From the structure of the league I am hearing, there is intense collaboration amongst all sporting owners in Canada. Collaboration takes time and compromise. I don't want to rush that because I think this will be huge.

Collaboration takes time and compromise, but results require action - something that we're unfortunately seeing very little of.

Talk of having a Canadian pro league tends to heat up whenever the D2 level league in the Unites States looks like it is about to unravel. Ottawa and Edmonton both still seem to have USSF leagues to play in for next summer and beyond with the CSA providing sanctioning in each case, so that has probably complicated matters considerably where the CPL concept is concerned as there is no obvious void to step in and fill and five of the six metropolitan areas with over 1 million people already have a pro soccer team.

Yeah, it's going to be painful from that aspect if this league ever launches.

I was playing around on the Canadian pyramid page on Wikipedia to see how it would look with separated Canadian and American pyramids, and it's going to be incredibly shitty if we end up with pro teams competing over four separate leagues.

soccer pyramid.png

Archived