Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What if, as would normally be the case, they also paid an expansion fee to USL over and above that? It also sounds like they could have paid $1 million less by timing it differently. Very strange behaviour if they are intent on joining yet another league in 2018.

I'm going to put the tinfoil hat on for this one. What if the USL said "Yeah, we'll cover your exit and enterance fee, we just want the NASL dead or unstable for this comming USSF meeting. If you want to hit the CPL after this, we'd be fine with that"

I'm skeptical that the Fury paid the full exit fee themselves, mainly because it makes no sense to say we need to save cash and proceed to gut your roster and pay a substantial exit fee at the same time.

Back to the name of the hardware awarded to the CanPL champion, I fully back Canadian Shield. People from Victoria to St. John's know what that is. It's uniquely Canadian, and it fits in the greater world football narrative when it comes to what's awarded to teams who win their top flight (see Bundesliga hardware). 

38 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

Well, the Canadian tradition calls for our governor general shelling out some cash to name a cup after themselves.

See the Stanley, Grey and Clarkson Cups respectively. There are worse names then the Johnston Cup. We just got to get the old boy to pony up.

The "Johnston Cup"?

I am just gonna leave that one out there for a bit.  Don't overthink it.

51 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

The Canadian Shield seems like the best name yet, but I can't help but think it treads the line between "good play on words" and "too puny" a little too closely. That said, I can't think of a better name, so I shouldn't be criticising 

Not to be picky, but I don't see it as a pun.  A pun is the shittiest form of humour based on a play on words. 

But Canadian Shield is just straight-up homage - and it is homage to something really cool.  There is no humorous intent that makes you want to punch the person saying it.  It is just pure Canadianna.  

Just my $0.02 of course.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not to be picky, but I don't see it as a pun.  A pun is the shittiest form of humour based on a play on words. 

But Canadian Shield is just straight-up homage - and it is homage to something really cool.  There is no humorous intent that makes you want to punch the person saying it.  It is just pure Canadianna.  

Just my $0.02 of course.

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Every year we just blow up part of Sudbury and give it to the winner.

I support this. As one of the world's largest suppliers of nickel, we should use this metal on the backside of the shield. We could nickname the Canadian Shield the "Nickelback." Okay, that's probably a pun too far. And now I'm banned from this forum. :P

But seriously, the Canadian Shield is awesome.

I'm fine with Canadian Shield, but alternatively it could be named after a historical person that means a lot for Canadian soccer. I don't have any bright ideas in terms of who, but not someone like DeRosario who just retired (I hate that MLS named their MVP award after Landon Donovan), but someone from the range of 30 to 100 years ago, in terms of playing, or building, would be kind of cool. Who was the first CSA president for example?

After saying all this, I'd also be cool with the league itself doing this work, and the V's will always have the Voyageurs Cup, but I don't want to hold you guys back from doing great things.

39 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm fine with Canadian Shield, but alternatively it could be named after a historical person that means a lot for Canadian soccer. I don't have any bright ideas in terms of who, but not someone like DeRosario who just retired (I hate that MLS named their MVP award after Landon Donovan), but someone from the range of 30 to 100 years ago, in terms of playing, or building, would be kind of cool. Who was the first CSA president for example?

After saying all this, I'd also be cool with the league itself doing this work, and the V's will always have the Voyageurs Cup, but I don't want to hold you guys back from doing great things.

Shield of Galt!

Archived